Briggs 190 cc vs Honda GXV160

Hi all,

My Briggs powered mower has finally had it - I went into the mower shop today looking for a suitable replacement. Tossing up between a GXV160 powered Honda OR a Briggs motor on an aluminium Masport base (mower shop creation).

Both have a 19' base - The Honda is slightly heavier.

Any thoughts on which is the better option? Link below to the briggs engine.

This isn’t a fair comparison because the Briggs has more CC’s . There are 200 CC Honda engines as well. Also, I get it that the OP wants a commercial engine, but there is a Honda mower out there with a 200 GCV engine that will probably last 20 years.

I have a Briggs 190cc 850 series on my 2011 model year 21" commercial series snapper mower. It even has a spin on oil filter.

Going on 11 seasons of use and zero issues. The only thing I hate is the super tiny fuel tank. It's difficult to fill w/out overflowing it all over the place.

Very smooth and quiet engine with lots of power. Fuel efficient too.

I'm recovering from MVA Dec 2020 then a fall Dec 2021.I used my brother's self propelled Honda last week it's noisey and heavy ! I have a generic base 21 inch cut powered by a kawasaki FJ 180V engine it's the quietest easy to start I've ever owned.I had to use ear muffs on the Honda. Before buying the Kawasaki I wanted a Honda but price was ridiculous. The Briggs and Stratton sounds like a good motor are the prices similar I'd be inclined to buy the Briggs bigger engine less stress when cutting also look at how many blades or is it a bar? My old Briggs from years ago had 4 blades it cut really nice the new one has a bar type blade still cuts nice though

Thanks all - They both have 4 blades and plastic catchers. (Interesting the catcher on the briggs has a "full indicator")

Price wise, the Briggs is $200 AUD cheaper - The shop said its a bit lighter than the Honda - and some of the commercial people prefer it because its easier to lift into their trucks.

DV0993.
At $200au less it's a no brainer!
I'm also in Aus just north of Brissie so far everything you've described makes the Briggs and Stratton sounds like a good one. The contractors saying they like it because it's lite sounds good to me also the catcher full guage reminds me my father's Victa from the 70's it was my job to mow in those days a good idea less stopping to check quicker to finish and get to my mates place lol.

A trick I did with my first Briggs and Stratton.

I always washed it after use using car wash (bit pedantic I know) getting all the grass and mud and whatever of it including underneath and the catcher doing that allowed me to keep an eye on the blades.

I'd occasionally sharpen them with the angle grinder.

I changed the oil and plug yearly tapping out the air cleaner same time general inspection.

I'd use the leftover oil from my car.when I upgraded to the mulcher mower 13 years later I got the same money back for the old one they couldn't believe it looked like new lol

*** For the repliers who haven't noticed - as in the prior thread the poster is "Down Under" and the mowers are commercial grade. For Honda even above the HRX series ***

I think I would go with the Honda still. We have a 170CC GCV on a Honda mower and it has plenty of power as long as the grass is not both very long and wet. It would be nice to see a link to this mower shop creation, but down the road will you be able to get parts for it if you need them?

The Honda will be a well engineered cohesive piece. That may or may not be true of a shop built mower.

Yes - Assuming we'll still be using fuel in 40 years, this purchase could outlive me?
I wouldn’t worry much. Max will still be cruising the highways. Plus you can purchase this engine and have it in case you buy the Briggs.

055A0D7C-DAD5-4F3D-84F5-091219313794.png

Last edited:
*** For the repliers who haven't noticed - as in the prior thread the poster is "Down Under" and the mowers are commercial grade. For Honda even above the HRX series ***

I think I would go with the Honda still. We have a 170CC GCV on a Honda mower and it has plenty of power as long as the grass is not both very long and wet. It would be nice to see a link to this mower shop creation, but down the road will you be able to get parts for it if you need them?

The Honda will be a well engineered cohesive piece. That may or may not be true of a shop built mower.

Here it is!

Those mowers last much longer with a lighter engine.As well as being easier to push the lighter engine is much easier on wheels,axles and handles.I much prefer the Briggs and Sratton DOV or Hoda GCV170.With regular oil changes both these engines will outlast the mower.

Back