Amsoil Small Engine VS Honda HP4M

Hi!

I'm looking for advice/feedback. I own a Honda HRC216HXA lawnmower (commercial version) and a Ariens 28" inch snowblower with the LCT engine.

I have been looking for a one oil that I can use in both machines. I am under the impression based on looking at other threads the the larger the spread 0w-30 or 0w-40 the more additives have to be in the oil, which get beat up in small engines. I'll prefix this with that the snowblower stays in the garage in the winter and even if is -40c outside the garage doesn't get below -20c. It usually hovers around -5c.

The Honda powersports dealer, for some reason uses Suzuki 10w40 dino in everything and swear by it. They tell me that's all they use - if it works in a GSXR at 10,000 rpm then a generator or mower is nothing for that oil. I changed it out after 2 hours in my brand new mower as I thought the engine was a little noisy in favor honda HP4M 10w-40. I rand that for 10 hours. I thought it might be a little thick. This mower (GX160) has a drive shaft out the back that is driven off a helical gear on the camshaft that powers the hydrostatic drive making it a litte unique.

Anyways - I was hoping to find a synthetic oil to use for both. I currently use PUP 0w20 in my 2010 CR-V. Nice an quiet and smooth. I tried 10w30 Pennzoil plat in the mower. It lost a few ounces after 2 hours of use. I drained it to find lots of silver.

So, here I am back to the Honda oil, and also had the AMSOIL dealer bring in a couple bottles of the 10w30 small engine oil. They claim it pours down to -40.

I put a small amount of each in the deep freeze overnight. The Honda oil flowed much better at -21.7c. I am now skeptical about the amsoil claims.

The honda dino oil seems to be better in the cold. What would you use for both the snowblower and mower? Or am I looking for a unicorn?

Last edited:
i have a HRC mower the best mower Ever . My wife loves to mow the lawn because of it. ! Iuse what ever oil I have left from my oil changes which is 15w/40 or 15W-40 HDEO those motors aren't stressed at all. The snow blower could benefit from syn for cold starting if not stored in a heated garage.

Having used the Amsoil ASE it will be outstanding for both applications if it got to -40c in the garage maybe bit tough to turn over.

Last edited:
I'll give it a shot in the snowblower- winter is coming. I picked up leaves today with the mower with the amsoil in the crankcase. Engine sounded pretty good 😊

Yes that mower is the bees knees. I had the hrx217 - which was really good too. The transmission started groaning at about 20 hours though. The dealer refused to acknowledge there was anything wrong. So I played my cards and traded it in - they gave me almost 95% of what I paid to get the commercial version. The plastic deck on the 217 was amazing because grass didn't stick but the drivetrain won't last 20 years like the hrc

Last edited:
Considering your climate, you dont need 40 weight anything.

Mobil, Pennzoil, store brand 5W30/10W30 synthetic is all you need in your equipment. Period.

The shop uses 10W40 oil because its their cheap shop oil. They get it in bulk, they get it cheap, they use it in everything.

Considering your climate, you dont need 40 weight anything.

Mobil, Pennzoil, store brand 5W30/10W30 synthetic is all you need in your equipment. Period.

The shop uses 10W40 oil because its their cheap shop oil. They get it in bulk, they get it cheap, they use it in everything.
I've found it best to simply not overthink oil. Read owner's manual for oil weight specs and change it frequently. At less than 1 qt oil in most small Outdoor Power Equipment engines, it's low cost insurance.

Neither I'd use some VP racing SAE30/10w30, its not too expensive & it is a really good oil, I have switched to using it on every oil change I do for people now days, easy starts & it holds up in high heat really well, I was a die hard Briggs & Stratton 30w guy, but after seeing the results as far as how much easier the mowers I've serviced started & mowing in 100°+ weather, I am won over to VP small engine oil.
IMG_20220706_232931.jpg

Back