Honda mower oil question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a new Honda self-propelled mower. It came with a small bottle of Honda 10w30 that I put in it. It recommends its first oil change after 5 hours. It recommends 10w30 which isn't a problem. However, I have quite a few quarts of Mobil 1 10w40 that I picked up on clearance for an older vehicle that I no longer have. I also used it in an ancient Briggs & Stratton mower I no longer have. I don't want to put it in my newer vehicles but was thinking it might work ok in this Honda mower application. Of course, I don't want to damage my new Honda mower. Thoughts? If the consensus is that it's no good for my small engine I can just use it for top up oil or use a quart here and there on my vehicles mixed with mostly 5w30.

as long as the oil is API SJ or higher you should be ok

http://cdn.powerequipment.honda.com/pe/pdf/manuals/31vh7h20.pdf

"Engine Oil Recommendations
Oil is a major factor affecting performance and service life. Use4-stroke automotive detergent oil.SAE 10W-30 is recommended for general use. Other viscosities shown in the chart may be used when the average temperature in your area is within the recommended range.The SAE oil viscosity and service classification are in the API label on the oil container. Honda recommends API SERVICE category SJ or later oil with the ILSAC "starburst" certification mark displayed on the container"

Last edited:
Being a small air-cooled engine, I'd definitely recommend a 40-wt in the summer.
With your location, a 40 is not going to be an issue - and absolutely won't hurt that Honda engine.

I've ran 15w40 exclusively in my mowers for years now (Honda HRX, Kawasaki FR651, Briggs 190cc, etc.)
Never had an engine failure yet. The decks, wheels, hydro's, etc. wear out long before the engines.

Mobil 1 10w40 is a great oil IMHO, run it and sleep well.

Last edited:
Always sae40 in my OPE engines...never a problem!

Sae40 is just more common over here (10w40 & 5w40)...5w30's are usually (in 99%) mid/low SAPS variants (lower ZDDP) intended for DPF protection....nah...
smile.gif

Its good stuff. I run SAE40, 15W40, and SAE30 in a similar climate in pretty much hundreds upon hundreds of small engines and never an oil related failure unless the oil ran low. Synthetic Mobil 1 10W40 on the shelf is 1) paid for 2) will work perfect and 3) is likely better than the factory recommended 10W30.

You are in McGregor TX - it's July!

Run the 10W-40 and all is good in this world.

All my OPE has 15W-40 in it. Every one.

Thanks for all of the replies! Yes, it was in the high 90s when I mowed yesterday and will hit 100F quite a bit this summer I'm sure. I'll glad to know those 10 quarts of M1 10w40 I have left can be put to good use. I got a bunch at a year end AZ clearance a few years ago and was using them in a 2003 Hyundai (now sold) and my daughter's 2002 Trailblazer (she's moved so I likely won't be doing her oil changes now). It sounds like I should be good using it in my Honda. Thanks!

Originally Posted by Linctex
You are in McGregor TX - it's July!

Run the 10W-40 and all is good in this world.

All my OPE has 15W-40 in it. Every one.

Waco, eh? We're neighbors. ...

40-weight is great. cutting a long story short, 10-30 is great (what I normally use) but 5-30 (M1) was not up to the task in southern US summers with grass that never dries = hard mowing = metal shinies + startup smoke revealing damage. Damage stopped worsening when I went to 10-30. Mostly I use 10-30 PP in our OPE now and haven't had any issues.

It makes me happy knowing I have 10 quarts of oil dedicated to mower oil changes. Crazy, I know. At 1 oil change per year (12 oz per) I'm looking at a 26 year supply of oil.
lol.gif

Last edited:
Lol. Yeah, 26 years is a long time. Maybe I'll use a quart here and there for top-ups and when I have a 5 quart jug and need a sixth quart for my 6 quart sump. :) Adding a quart of 10W40 to 5 quarts of 5W30 shouldn't make much difference.

Last edited:
I have a Honda mower as well with the 160GCV engine, it's going on year 7 now. Ran it in with that 10w-30 it came with then changed it to whatever leftover extras I have lying around in 5 or 10w-30. I've even run strait 30 weight in it for a season from some leftover Volvo oil I had for my boats inboard engine.

Shell rotella T4 10w-30 is what's in it now. It sees probably 20-30 hours a year and to be honest, I haven't changed the oil the past 2-3 years! It never burns any oil and any time I check it, it's always amber in color. Maybe I'll change it next year just for the heck of it. These seem super easy on oil and are real gas sippers. ( I try and run non ethanol as well).

I guess what i'm saying is change it to any quality 10w-30,10w-40, 30 wt etc oil and it'll be fine, these aren't picky.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back