Brick spray on sealer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning!

I have a brick ranch from the 50s,
I want to seal the brick using a spray on sealer.

Which sealer should I use?

I've used Thompson's for years. I use the clear stuff and also use it on my wood deck. It does turn the brick in a slightly darker shade of color, you can tell when where you miss a spot, but that stuff works. Water and ice just bead right off of it. Careful when you spray it, it is really volatile and will kill some plants if you accidently spray them.

Originally Posted By: Schmoe
I've used Thompson's for years. I use the clear stuff and also use it on my wood deck. It does turn the brick in a slightly darker shade of color, you can tell when where you miss a spot, but that stuff works. Water and ice just bead right off of it. Careful when you spray it, it is really volatile and will kill some plants if you accidently spray them.

this one?

http://www.thompsonswaterseal.com/waterp...sonry-protector

what kind of sprayer did you use?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: R_W_M
I used this stuff ( Hydrozo Clear Double Seven) many years ago and it worked great. It was on the brick over 20 years and still beaded water when I sold the house.

RWM, where did you buy this stuff and what sprayer did you use?

basf, I called their Michigan sales leader, and then rep, both did not answer their phone and left message and still waiting for a response.

now that I think about it, I will peek at my linkedin page, I think I know an engineer at basf.

I've had good luck with this product. I started using it 15 years ago and it was made by Enterprise, then Quickrete bought them. It started out about $10 per gal. and is now up to about $25 per gal. I buy it at Lowes and it is labeled as Quickrete Natural Look Water Proofer. It contains silicone and I just spray it on with a garden sprayer. Sometimes the sprayer tip will have to be cleaned as the silicone will build up there. It is supposed to be good for 5 years. I have been satisfied using it. You don't see it on the brick, but the water beads up and runs off when it rains.

At Lowes online it looks like it may be under the Valspar label now. I checked Home Depot online and they do show a Quikrete water proofer product.

Only one that I'd trust is sodium/potassium silicate based.

It creates a stone/glass by reacting with the surface of bricks (used in the past to waterproof eggs, fireproof railway ties etc.).

Not a fan of synthetic polymers etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back