Break in oil change schedule

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by geo:

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
...I have used Auto-rx on the prior interval though, so it may help the Maxlife go a bit longer than it normally would..

Pat, I don't know if using Auto-Rx prior to MaxLife is a good thing. Some residual Auto-Rx may reduce the viscosity numbers or affect the analysis in some way. Terry may be able to help here.
confused.gif

It shouldn't hurt a thing. Auto-rx doesn't contain solvents, so it won't affect the viscosity of the oil. Plus with a clean engine, the oil run after the treatment doesn't have to work as hard. So it's additive package won't be depleted as fast. Based on what I have learned, I should see
less oxidation, less nitration, and a stronger TBN after using Auto-rx.

quote:

This reminds me, our Honda's powertrain warranty
ends at 60,000km too, and it's at 59,590km right now. I'm not worried, the car hasn't given
us a single problem yet, it's not even been back to the dealer since we bought it in Oct 99![/QB]

Patman, you powertrain warranty is 5yr/100,000kms. You bumper-to-bumper warranty is 3yr/60,000kms.

I'll have to double check the manual when I get home, but I'm pretty sure our full powertrain warranty ends at 3yrs/60,000km. I remember this because I was thinking that we'd hit the mileage (and the time) before the 4 year lease was up. We do plan on buying it at the end, the car has been 100% trouble free.

Geo, that wouldn't make sense, as Terry has stated to me that after using Auto-rx the oil analysis tests almost always get better results. I'm sure he'll read this and comment.

quote:

I guess I was wrong! (third time in a week!)
smile.gif

But this is one case where I'm glad to be wrong!!

fruit.gif

Honda powertrains are bullet proof so don't need to worry.
smile.gif
Now, you have the extra peace of mind.
smile.gif

quote:

It shouldn't hurt a thing. Auto-rx doesn't contain solvents, so it won't affect the viscosity of the oil. Plus with a clean engine, the oil run after the treatment doesn't have to work as hard. So it's additive package won't be depleted as fast. Based on what I have learned, I should see
less oxidation, less nitration, and a stronger TBN after using Auto-rx.
Pat, take a look at Terry's AUTO-RX Field Trial Data Sheet. Unless I'm reading it wrong, viscosity @100C was reduced and oil degradation increased.
confused.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back