Break in oil change...2014 Sonic???

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the owners manual suggests an engine break in period for the 2014 1.8 Chevy Sonic to 500 miles.

But no break in oil change?? The dealer will not do the free oil change until the OLM says to.

For $25 I can do one myself...

But why no oil change at 500 miles or a 1000?

They say the engine is clean enough from manufacturing debris that it doesn't need it.

You could let it sit, to allow the debris to fall to the bottom of the sump, then drain a quart, and examine it. IF it is clean, why bother changing it?

Do one yourself if you feel so inclined. That 1.8 is very easy on oil, though. Use the recommended dexos1 5w-30 at OLM-specified intervals.

Originally Posted By: datech
They say the engine is clean enough from manufacturing debris that it doesn't need it.

You could let it sit, to allow the debris to fall to the bottom of the sump, then drain a quart, and examine it. IF it is clean, why bother changing it?

This pretty much sums it up. Today's manufacturing techniques mean that very little metals are worn off during break in.
Consider that any metal particulate that may pose potential harm will get caught by the filter and anything smaller is basically harmless,which translates to less need for any additional preventative maintenance.
I'm still not sold on running the factory fill a full interval however it does make sense to run the first interval longish. Any break in debris not caught by the filter will help break in.
Honda states to run the factory fill til the car says change the oil too. Some here think Honda uses a special break in oil however I've come to find out its just regular Honda oil. The extra additives found in a uoa come from the assembly lubes used.
So it does make sense to run it the full interval. It would help break in the engine when you think about it.

Your car change it when you feel like it. But how long do you keep your cars? If you turn then over often don't spend the $$$ If you keep them forever change it soon.

Dump the factory fill AC Delco oil at about 1,500 miles. By that time it will be pretty dark. GM engines are known to darken oil early on. Step up to a better oil and no need to let dealer change the oil as they are only going to use the factory fill AC Delco Dexos 1 rated oil which is mediocre at best. Get better oil and a better filter like Mobil 1 and a Fram Ultra oil filter. Factory filter isn't good, especially if it's the AC Delco e-core filter. My recommendation is to change it at 1,500 miles and then at 3,000 miles and then follow the OLM. I dumped the factory fill ACD oil at 1,700 miles and it was blacker than tar!

By the way, GM engines don't really need much of a break-in process. I went pedal to the metal from 5 miles on the odometer and at 5,000 miles now the engine feels really smooth and very powerful!! Beat up a GM engine and it will last! Baby a GM engine and it will go to [censored] earlier on. Just my experience with GM engines over the years.

It seems this question comes up in every way, shape, and form for just about all the different makes and models of cars. Lots of opinions, and often heated debates. The bottom line is do what makes you comfortable, it's your investment. Me I dump it early.

Won't hurt anything to change the oil early. Just don't change the oil with the same factory stuff. Best advice I can give you!

At 850 miles it is starting to darken. Half highway, half severe service. I will dump at 1000 or so.

But I will not change the OLM.

How do you like the engine, and the Sonic? I am pretty impressed with what I have seen online, but I have never driven or ridden it one.
I have a Cobalt, and I have a brother that has a Cruze. I think GM is doing some pretty good things with those small cars.

Originally Posted By: Plumber
So the owners manual suggests an engine break in period for the 2014 1.8 Chevy Sonic to 500 miles.

But no break in oil change?? The dealer will not do the free oil change until the OLM says to.

For $25 I can do one myself...

But why no oil change at 500 miles or a 1000?

I did an early oil change at 1600 km or 1000 miles on my new 2014 GMC Terrain in July.
No problems with the dealer. You get four free changes in two years so when you do them is up to you.

Originally Posted By: datech

Not my engine. Check out my post in the oil filter section. ( Aluminum Chips). I changed the FF at 1600km (1000 miles) and now at 6000 km (3700 miles) and both times I saw aluminum chips left over from the machining process in the cartridge filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back