New Ram 1500 5.7, First oil change questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I got a new 2014 Ram 1500 a few weeks ago. I'm up to 2100km (1300 miles) now.
The oil still looks like new on the dipstick.

I'm debating whether I should change it out at 2500km, then 5000km, then follow the OLM?
Or just run it to the 5000km that the dealer wants me to come in for the first free oil change?

I was also thinking, would it be better to just change the oil out now early and leave the filter on there, since a filter with some particles filters supposidely filters smaller microns then a brand new filter?

I'm just so split decisioned on when to drain the break in oil. The owners manual just says follow the OLM. With my driving style, it would probably run it out to 11,000km, and I think that's far too long for the first oil change.

Oil needs to be changed due to:

1. Depletion of additives and breakdown of basestock.

2. Contamination.

Your engine is still breaking in and changing the engine oil now (to remove metal particles from parts mating together) will be beneficial.

Some people say that your oil is still new and not worn-out, which is true, but they forget about the contaminants from small metal particles floating around during the engine break-in process.

IF it was my vehicle, I'd change the oil and filter now and then at 5,000km - 6,000km. Your powertrain might take up to 18,000km to 20,000km (10,000 - 12,000 miles) to fully seat the rings and this is why some experts do shorter interval LOF changes for the first 10,000+ miles (slowly extending the OCI during the first 20,000km).

Just go to the first recommended oil change interval and change it then.

This board is full of a lot of people who "feel" this or that on the need to change early but the truth is that any modern made engine will easily go to the first change interval with the factory installed filter catching any wear metals that will be of any significance.

There is literally millions of vehicles that go into fleet and rental service never see the first oil change until the first interval recommended by the manual. I have yet to see any factual basis or studies to show any vehicle degradation or increase wear because the factory oil fill was not dumped early from the owners manual recommendation.

People that purport changing early are usually the ones that like the "placebo effect" it gives them. Yet these people most times will not dump any of the other gear, ATF, brake or coolant fluid early because it is usually more involved and changing the oil is low hanging fruit for the warm fuzzy feel they like.

I also left out the "cheap insurance" reply crowd that like to pipe up.

Quote:
People that purport changing early are usually the ones that like the "placebo effect" it gives them. Yet these people most times will not dump any of the other gear, ATF, brake or coolant fluid early because it is usually more involved and changing the oil is low hanging fruit for the warm fuzzy feel they like.

This quote should be made a sticky.

Washing out early break in metals isn't a terrible idea.

I like your idea of changing the oil early a couple of times and keeping the filter on. It will also be more cost efficient because your reusing the filter and using a slightly smaller amount to wash out just the oil pan.

Modern production engines rings break in rather quickly since emission requirements force them to be compliant from the get go. If it helps you out, my 2010 Dodge 5.7 oil change light came on at about 2800 miles the first time, never comes on before a minimum of 5000 miles since then. My 5.7 doesn't use a drop between changes and now has over 75k miles on it.

Hootbro's answer is way better then mine though. I'd change rear differential fluid early before I'd change my oil early anymore.

Rings are seated or not in literally minutes while the rotating assembly is either right or wrong from the first turn. No real break in anymore on almost any engine.

Changing the FF early is a simple 'feel good' mod, Hootbro hit the nail on the head.

Trans, rear end, etc., all generate most of their known trash in the first few thousand miles...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back