Break in hours on a commercial v-twin engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many hrs. should you run a new engine before the first oil change. Have a new Briggs v-twin 27hp with 5 hrs. on it.

depends if full flow filter, in which case I would do 25 hours.
If bypass filter then about 10 hours.

If no filter then 2 hours and again at 10 hours.

Rod

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Did you read the OM?

Yes. I'm not waiting 50hrs. I've heard 8hrs., 10hrs,and 25hrs. So I thought I would ask here.

Last edited:
Too late, that engine is now scrap iron. Buy another one and start over.
Need to flush out all the mfg. debris, so 1 hour max on a new Briggs v-twin, same as
a H-D v-twin, but with a H-D, they are scrap iron from the factory, even with no run time.
Sorry H-D fans, the truth hurts.
grin.gif

After 10hrs on my v twin 16hp Kawasaki motor.

Brigs website says 5-10hrs for any of their new engines. And not to be operated under full load during those hours. Then do the full oil change. Filter and oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: loneryder
How many hrs. should you run a new engine before the first oil change. Have a new Briggs v-twin 27hp with 5 hrs. on it.

Change it now and the filter on the second "regular" change.

Originally Posted By: BalticBob
Need to flush out all the mfg. debris, so 1 hour max on a new Briggs v-twin, same as
a H-D v-twin, but with a H-D, they are scrap iron from the factory, even with no run time.
grin.gif

No truth here but plenty of hogwash.

Last edited:
Did you read the OM?

Yes. I'm not waiting 50hrs. I've heard 8hrs., 10hrs,and 25hrs. So I thought I would ask here.

If the manual states 50 hours, then I would go 50 hours. It has a filter, so the big chunks will be caught. Also, I personally believe that a little grit in the oil for the first run helps to seal and wear in the rings properly. So while a lot of folks scream about changing early, I am actually the opposite, and believe that a little extra grit FOR THE FIRST run actually helps the rings seal.

I've done this on every new engine I get. Never a problem. Ran my Acura's factory fill out to 12K miles (still had 15% on the oil according to the computer). That car uses ZERO oil between oil changes, and it has 185K miles on it now.

If you have any doubts you can do as CT8 above suggests and change it right now, that is if you can afford a couple of quarts of oil and maybe a filter, too. And you don't have to feel guilty about causing the global temperature to go up because you're using oil.

Originally Posted By: southernjeeper
After 10hrs on my v twin 16hp Kawasaki motor.

Brigs website says 5-10hrs for any of their new engines. And not to be operated under full load during those hours. Then do the full oil change. Filter and oil.
How do you not run it under full load on a z turn that is designed to operate on max throttle and nothing else?? Not aiming this at you but their instructions don't make sense. I've already mowed thick grass for 5 hrs. so I guess my engine is toast like the other guy said.lol It hasn't used any oil that I can determine.

From Owners Manual:

Maintenance Schedule
First 5 Hours
• Change oil 2
Every 8 Hours or Daily
• Check engine oil level
• Clean area around muffler and controls
• Clean air intake grille
Every 25 Hours or Annually
• Clean air filter 1
• Clean pre-cleaner 1
Every 50 Hours or Annually
• Change engine oil 3
• Replace oil filter (if equipped) 3
• Service exhaust system
Every 100 Hours or Annually
• Change engine oil 4
• Replace oil filter (if equipped) 4

1 In dusty conditions or when airborne debris is present, clean more often.
2 Only engines without oil filter.
3 Engine without oil filter or with standard black oil filter (see Specifications page
for part number).

4 Engines with high-efficiency yellow or orange oil filter (see Specifications page
for part number).
5 Not required unless engine performance problems are noted

Originally Posted By: GravelRoad
From Owners Manual:

Maintenance Schedule
First 5 Hours
• Change oil 2
Every 8 Hours or Daily
• Check engine oil level
• Clean area around muffler and controls
• Clean air intake grille
Every 25 Hours or Annually
• Clean air filter 1
• Clean pre-cleaner 1
Every 50 Hours or Annually
• Change engine oil 3
• Replace oil filter (if equipped) 3
• Service exhaust system
Every 100 Hours or Annually
• Change engine oil 4
• Replace oil filter (if equipped) 4

1 In dusty conditions or when airborne debris is present, clean more often.
2 Only engines without oil filter.
3 Engine without oil filter or with standard black oil filter (see Specifications page
for part number).

4 Engines with high-efficiency yellow or orange oil filter (see Specifications page
for part number).
5 Not required unless engine performance problems are noted

I was wrong. It says to go 100 hrs since I have the yellow filter on the factory fill which is Briggs 30 wgt oil. Not going to let factory fill go that long. Probably change it 8-10 hrs.

I can't speak for your commercial unit, but my homeowner grade 22 HP 724cc B&S V-Twin called for a change at 8 hours, so that's what I did. Beyond that it calls for 50 hours or 12 months, which comes to 12 months in my scenario but not yours. As was said before, if in doubt, change it out. No harm can come from that.

Originally Posted By: Lubener
grin.gif

No truth here but plenty of hogwash.

Now that is good ---- "hogwash" I have heard H-D called "hogs" so it fits, "hogwash"
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Did you read the OM?

If the manual states 50 hours, then I would go 50 hours. It has a filter, so the big chunks will be caught. Also, I personally believe that a little grit in the oil for the first run helps to seal and wear in the rings properly. So while a lot of folks scream about changing early, I am actually the opposite, and believe that a little extra grit FOR THE FIRST run actually helps the rings seal.

I've done this on every new engine I get. Never a problem. Ran my Acura's factory fill out to 12K miles (still had 15% on the oil according to the computer). That car uses ZERO oil between oil changes, and it has 185K miles on it now.

How many miles between oil changes?
My old beater uses ZERO oil between oil changes too, but I change oil every 800 miles.
That is like someone talking about fuel MPG and saying "I can go 350 miles on a tank of gas".....so, how large is your fuel tank, 55 gallons?

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Did you read the OM?

How many miles between oil changes?
My old beater uses ZERO oil between oil changes too, but I change oil every 800 miles.
That is like someone talking about fuel MPG and saying "I can go 350 miles on a tank of gas".....so, how large is your fuel tank, 55 gallons?

7500 to 10,000 miles between changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back