Brand-isms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
FCA:
- No, you can't have front parking sensors to prevent damage to your super low hanging bumper, not even as an option.

I think you can, but you need to order the Adaptive Cruise Control to get it. IIRC, that was how it was on my '14 anyways
21.gif

Maybe it's a Canada vs US thing. In the US, the Adaptive Cruise Control is part of the Technology Package, and this package on the Charger does not include front parking sensors.

Mazda:
Zoom-Zoom-Rust

Ford, GM, FCA:
You like sedans and small cars, #$%^ you, go buy a truck or SUV.

Toyota:
Old tech rules, #$%^ you young people, you don't get it.

Honda:
VCM was our greatest achievement, just don't look too closely at the EPA figures because they don't beat others.

FCA:
- No, you can't have front parking sensors to prevent damage to your super low hanging bumper, not even as an option.

I think you can, but you need to order the Adaptive Cruise Control to get it. IIRC, that was how it was on my '14 anyways
21.gif

Maybe it's a Canada vs US thing. In the US, the Adaptive Cruise Control is part of the Technology Package, and this package on the Charger does not include front parking sensors.

Funky, maybe it changed with the body style? I just checked, and the '16 kitty my dealer has in the showroom doesn't have it, and neither did his previous one
21.gif
Oddly, all the Jeep SRT's he's had in have it.

Another Dodge oddity:
- miles to empty display stops showing any value once you get down to about 30 miles, which is when you'd probably be most interested in knowing this information.

But I understand these displays can be inaccurate and Dodge likely does not want to be responsible for someone running out of gas, even though the display still may have shown some miles left. My wife' MB behaved the same way.

QP,

I drove my dad's 2012 Caravan to that point when it stops displaying the DTE and then shows "Low Fuel", and not paying attention I drove 80km (50 miles) as I was on the phone at the time, and I literally just pulled into the service station and it stalled at the pump just before I put it into park. So yeah, I would agree it's silly they don't show you right to the end (or closer to the end).

Last edited:
Yup. Both my 530i and wife's Q5 will show it all the way down to 0, and they have some buffer, so you can still go another 10-20 miles after you hit 0.

Yup. Both my 530i and wife's Q5 will show it all the way down to 0, and they have some buffer, so you can still go another 10-20 miles after you hit 0.

At one point I really wanted to buy a late 90's diesel Passat because the fuel gauge showed gallons. Pretty sure as a VW zero meant zero too, E was known to be truly empty on my generation of Jetta (proven by others not me!).

Originally Posted by supton

At one point I really wanted to buy a late 90's diesel Passat because the fuel gauge showed gallons.

I can access the hidden menu on my 530i that will show the number of liters in the tank, but that display fluctuates quite a bit, so I'm not sure how useful it really is to estimate DTE.

Originally Posted by HowAboutThis
Originally Posted by edyvw
Toyota:
-It is moving forward! What else do you want?

-It moves and only needs oil changes, what else do you want.

Fixed it for you.

Toyota: it's so soul crushingly boring I don't care how reliable they are, I wouldn't take one if it was free!

Fixed it for you.

FCA:

My 2016 300 has front parking sensors and no adaptive cruise.

GM: somehow even more bland than a Toyota. Now with more ugly!

Chrysler: Yeah, we don't make good small cars. Buy a bigger one.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by KrisZ
Mazda:
Zoom-Zoom-Rust

Ford, GM, FCA:
You like sedans and small cars, #$%^ you, go buy a truck or SUV.

Toyota:
Old tech rules, #$%^ you young people, you don't get it.

Honda:
VCM was our greatest achievement, just don't look too closely at the EPA figures because they don't beat others.

lol.gif

Good job here.

Was in the shower and started thinking about issues/characteristics that seemed unique to brands I'd owned. Please add your own.

BMW:
- Yes, the plastic inside the engine bay is sensitive to heat, why do you ask?
- No, silicone rubber doesn't make sense as a gasket material
- There's nothing unusual about plastic cooling system parts with a regular replacement interval.
- We prefer to change things as an assembly
- What do you mean it's an answer to a question nobody asked?

Ford:
- Changing the spark plugs?
- Who services their exhaust system? What do you mean it's leaking? Drilling out what now?
- Sunroof drains going through the rockers, what could possibly go wrong?
- Mounting heat-sensitive electronics to the engine is a sound engineering decision

FCA:
- Jim does the body grounds and Jim is drunk.
- That's the right oil. No, wait, this is now the right oil
- Yes, that's a 2-piece lugnut. Yes, it's junk. Yes, we only sell 2-piece lugnuts, yes, you need new ones

GM:
- Chasing hubcaps is an excellent form of exercise. Call it a feature.
- It's supposed to be that slow
- "upscale interior"/Why does my Cadillac look like a Cavalier?

Mazda:
- Corrosion protection?
- Yes, that part says Ford on it

Still the best so far
lol.gif

Great great post. Really made me laugh. Post of the year nominee thus far... Will post the winner in the last week of this year
smile.gif

Toyota:
We call it brakes, steering and handling. What actually is, it is anyones guess.
VW:
We lobbied EU (so it is not cheating). In the US, well we kind of cheated because we lobbied in the EU.
Why not putting electronic parking brake button next to cup holders, who in the US might drink sugary drinks and spill it?
Audi:
We are unique. Only with us you get engine literally between front headlights washer nozzles.
BMW:
Why would someone need oil dipstick in our V8's that burn quart at start? You start a car, go into menu, then submenu, then sub-submenu, then sub, sub, submenu, and at point when you start to get dizzy from fumes in your garage, you might access oil level menu.

Last edited:
Honda

Let's see how ugly we can make the Civic

Hyundai

Trick everyone into believing our vehicles are better than Honda's and Toyotas

Ford and GM

We can't compete in the sedan segment so we'll stop selling them

FCA

Cover up all of our shortcomings by overpowering everything

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back