Brakes for 2014 Honda CR-V AWD

I'm going to need new brakes soon on my wife's 2014 CR-V AWD. Previously we have been using OEM stuff but I am looking to upgrade to something that has better stopping power and hopefully a little more life.

For Pads, I was looking at the Powerstop Z26 Street Warrior; Carbon-Fiber Ceramic for the front and the Powerstop Z23 Evolution Sport Carbon Fiber-Ceramic for the rears. I don't want slotted or drilled rotors. I was looking for Brembo plain for the fronts and rears but I only see them for the front. So I then saw some Powerstop for the rear.

Any thoughts?

Powerstop coated rotors are awesome :)

Raybestos Element3 coated rotors seem to use the same coating

The Raybestos EHT p[ads are also popular on here and are a great price. There is also Akebono ceramic pads. The Powerstop ceramic pads are probably OK to use, too.

C4ADFDA6-23BD-4DD6-82FF-4E5E64A3AA36.jpeg

These are quite decent for an aftermarket pad, but their pricing is also very close to OE.

They do have slightly higher friction levels than many OE pads once warmed up. But nothing beats the initial bite of OE Pads when cold, IMO. For the average driver these may not be worth the money unless the formula reduces the tendency to develop pulsation from pad deposits.

Last edited:
Thanks. I will check out Akebono too.

Do you think I would be better off with the Brembo rotors for the front or Powerstop? They are close in price so a few dollars doesn't make a difference.

The CR-V is driven by my wife with the kids and to work a few days a week. I am looking at longevity and extra stopping power for her. When I drive it, I drive a little harder so extra stopping power for me is also a plus.

I won a set up EBC Yellow pads for my Impreza but I have yet to try them out. It will be a while before I get to use them.

The Powerstop coating is Geomet and probably the best, longest-lasting coating, so that would be my choice. I don't have any experience with the Brembo rotors, but I can vouch for Powerstop.

If you like EBC, their Ultimax/Blackstuff pads are good for a daily driver.

Thanks. I will check out Akebono too.

Do you think I would be better off with the Brembo rotors for the front or Powerstop? They are close in price so a few dollars doesn't make a difference.

The CR-V is driven by my wife with the kids and to work a few days a week. I am looking at longevity and extra stopping power for her. When I drive it, I drive a little harder so extra stopping power for me is also a plus.

I won a set up EBC Yellow pads for my Impreza but I have yet to try them out. It will be a while before I get to use them.
If you are equating longevity to wear, nothing beats OE in this application. I often see them lasting 75k+.
Any difference in stopping power will not be significant.

The different class of pads as far as I know are:

1) cheap that do not last long.

2) semimetalic that are powerful breaking and transfer heat well for heavly loaded vehicles and towing.

3) Ceramic that last long.

4) Racing that do not stop well at all untill they are very hot, where they outperform others that fade and loose ability to provide proper braking. These are made strictly for track use. Put them on a daily driver and expect to roll through stop signs and red-lights when you are pressing the brake but the shoes are cold.

‐----------------------

Be very careful that the carbon fiber are not race class. If you put race class on a daily driver you will end up pulling them off and redoing the brakes with semimetalic or ceramic.

That can be a costly and time wasting mistake, hopefuly without causing an accident because of the poor stopping.

Back