Brakes and moly pastes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems like the latest consensus involves using moly paste on brake pad ears instead of silicone caliper grease with the favorite being Molykote M-77. Given the high cost and difficult availability of this product I did some quick amazon searching and came up with some alternatives. Looking for input on the best option for a daily driven year-round salt belt vehicle? In the past I've used Motorcraft silicone brake compound which has sufficed but really doesn't hold up in the open-elements application of brake pad ears.

- Molykote M77
- Honda Moly Paste (M77)
- Loctite Moly Paste
- Liqui Moly LM 508
- Liqui Moly LM 48
- Jet-Lube MP-50 (50% moly content)
- Jet-Lube Marine Moly (unspec moly content)

At this point I am leaning towards the 1 pound tub of MP-50 simply due to cost per volume and the fact one purchase should last indefinitely but haven't heard ANYTHING about this so wondering if it is really a good pick or if one of the other options stands heads and shoulders above the rest?

Edit: Looks like Liqui Moly products have pretty decent TDS available online. The LM48 seems to have a decent content of 33% moly 6% graphite but the LMM 508 looks to be more of a cooper antisieze with mineral oil and thickened with Li-12-hydroxystearate, so I guess that can be ruled out.

Last edited:
Where I use to work at one time they used Molykote in 55 gallon drums as a release agent. Near the end of the barrel the Molykote would fall out of suspension and there was always quite a bit of the white solids left int he drum. I brought home about a gallon container of solids.

Just some non relevant info I guess. Haven't heard the word Molykote in years.

I've read opinions both ways on it. I've serviced my brakes with both the M-77 (or similar) and with Sil-Glyde. I couldn't tell a difference between the two, really. I'll probably keep with the Sil-Glyde, only because it's useful for other purposes as well.

This is from the MSDS for Sly-Glyde

3. COMPOSITION/INFORMATION ON INGREDIENTS

Chemical/Ingredient Name |CAS-No |Weight% |ACGIH, |OSHA-PE|Other
| | |TLV-TWA |L |
Polypropylene glycol |25322-69-4 |30-60 | | |
Dimethyl silicone polymer|67762-90-7 |7-13 | | |
with silica | | | | |
Oleoyl Sarcosine Mixture |Not |0.1-1 | | |
|Available | | | |
Diethyl phthalate |84-66-2 |0.1-1 | | |
Glycine, |110-25-8 |0.1-1 | | |
N-methyl-N-(1-oxo-9-octad| | | | |