Brake squeals a lot after being replaced

Status
Not open for further replies.
I replaced the front pads and rotors on my 1992 Corolla and it starts squealing badly the next day. It only happens when in extreme low speed such as bumper to bumper traffic jam. There is no sound when I just keep the brakes pressed whole rolling to stop but it would squeal if I pump the brakes, this is the practice I use which help reduce brake wear tremendously.

The on thing I did do that may cause the problem, according to my mechanic friend who did the work, was spraying brake cleaner into the pad/rotor area which may include the caliber. I thought the new pads would give off a lot of dust and would require cleaning. I have spray brake cleaner onto my brake rotors on other car from time to time to help clean the rotors and none of them experience squealing. I am very easy on brakes as my Corolla didn't need brake replacement in 60k miles on the pads that came with the car when I bought it. My 02 Accord saw 100k+ miles and could have gone another 10-20k miles on the pads and rotors but I had them change out when I did the TB, WP, and other works as part of complete tune-up. I figure I'll go another 100k without worrying about major repair bills.

My friend will put new pads on it again free of charge this Friday. However, he feels we should replace the caliper that required some re-building last time. One of the piston got stuck and required rebuild. Can old calipers cause squealing? These are OEM calipers from the factory so it's been 19 years.

I am putting off replacing the entire rear drum brakes setup because my car stops very quickly so I'll hold off until more money is available and I can do the TB, WB, and others on this car as well. It just got new alternator and starter, which cured the starting problem that plagued it the last 5 years since I got it.

When you put the new pads on, was there anti-squeal grease on the back of the old ones? Or an anti-squeal plate/shim in between the pad and the caliper that didn't get replaced?

What are the shims? I don't know what I use but I think it's Weaver or whatever the most expensive stuffs AAP sell. My friend installed them and I get parts under his name at discount. There were spring hooks that he thought are not needed but he put them on there just like the old pads had. He's a master mechanic so he knows what he's doing. He just did the brake job on my Accord and no squeal after 300 miles trip yesterday as well as 100 mile trip back home.

990322-200216.jpg

Last edited:
Can I just put the shims on, if they are missing, and not have to change the pads or replaced the caliper. He can get the warranty work on the pads free of charge and the replacement is free of labor. I would assume he knows if it's missing or not since he does it a lot and my Accord doesn't squeal. I prefer not to have to replace the caliper because I don't want to replace stuffs not needed on an old car like this. My Accord got things replaced pre-maturely but that is our long road trip family car and my wife drive it so I pay for the extra assurance.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
I think your pads need to bed in properly first before attempting anything. A lot of initial squeals go away once the pads are bedded in, and since you said that you are very easy on the brakes, that may take a while, usually about 500 miles.

Wow, the squeal is killing me. I can't roll down the window without wanting to blast the music to not hear it. The Accord never squeal even though it see less usage since I got it. The 300 miles trip mentioned saw very little brake usage since it was mostly highway and the lights were in our favor. The Corolla, on the other hand, see a lot of stop and go traffic in the 5 miles near my house. The rotor would burn my finger if I touch it after getting home.

The job was done 1 month ago and I think I drove more than 500 miles already since I have 80 miles commute each day.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tinmanSC
When you put the new pads on, was there anti-squeal grease on the back of the old ones? Or an anti-squeal plate/shim in between the pad and the caliper that didn't get replaced?

I don't know. I only know a little about oil and not that familiar with brakes.

Squeaking could be cheap pads, or something hanging up, or something not cleaned and greased as it should be.

There are several contact points that need to be cleaned up, and greased so that the brake pad can slide properly and not hang up.

Its very possible that the calipers are bad, you would want to buy remanufactured calipers.

Take a look at the back brakes, and see how the shoes and the drums look. Have them cleaned up a little and adjusted.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
The pads are loose and rubbing on the discs.

I hope that is not the case because the mechanic pays very close attention to detail to everything.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
Squeaking could be cheap pads, or something hanging up, or something not cleaned and greased as it should be.

There are several contact points that need to be cleaned up, and greased so that the brake pad can slide properly and not hang up.

Its very possible that the calipers are bad, you would want to buy remanufactured calipers.

Take a look at the back brakes, and see how the shoes and the drums look. Have them cleaned up a little and adjusted.

The drum brakes in the rear should be fine because they never squeal or squeak and this problem only pop 75 miles after the pads/rotors installed up front. I drove home and notice it when pulling over to fill up on gas and soda.

One caliper had to be rebuilt because the piston was stuck. But no sound before the work so I don't expect sound after the fix.

The pads will be returned for new ones but my friend suggest new calipers to make sure. It's 19 years old calipers that should have been replaced last time.

I am saving the drum brakes for the TB and WP work.

It started squealing the next day?
And you think it was because of spraying something on the parts? Did you really spray stuff on the assembled parts in less than a day?!

I have no idea of the quality of the work. The new rotors should have been cleaned very well.
And it is impossible that the parts are seated in yet.

If they are noisy after 2-500 miles, you could try anti sqeual sauce for $6 at an auto parts store. Coat the back of the pads, and assemble them right away.

I had new pads put on a car at a reputable (expensive) brake place. I took them back 3 times for noise. They put anti-squeal on them, turned the rotors.etc etc They gave up.
I finally changed the pads my self. I installed Duralast Golds. Never made a peep after that.
It was the pads.

isn't there something too about building high speed in reverse and firmly stopping to smooth the rotor surface?

Squealing is most always caused by the pads vibrating due to the pad and hardware not being right. Either the shims or pad clips are not right or the pad is not fitting tight although a poor rotor condition can contribute. That's where I'd focus on, the pads and hardware. The brake cleaner should've only helped and a little bit of grease on the inside of the pad shims and clips should also help.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
It started squealing the next day?
And you think it was because of spraying something on the parts? Did you really spray stuff on the assembled parts in less than a day?!

I have no idea of the quality of the work. The new rotors should have been cleaned very well.
And it is impossible that the parts are seated in yet.

If they are noisy after 2-500 miles, you could try anti sqeual sauce for $6 at an auto parts store. Coat the back of the pads, and assemble them right away.

The rotors were cleaned and the pads were scrubbed together for 30 secs before installation. I didn't hear squealing when I test drove it at his house because we did a lot of other things. I live about 80 miles away and I didn't hear squealing on the way home. The next day, I heard squealing while going at low speed half way to work.

Today my wife say she could hear it squeal before I turned into our street corner, 150-200 yards from the house, so it is not the low speed but rather at all speed but I can only detect the low speed squealing as the driver.

I am taking it back to have new pads installed because he warranty his work and the pads are backed by AAP, which he has shop discount with. My only concern is whether I should change the calipers as well. He had to rebuild one piston on the passenger side that was severely stuck. I took him awhile to remove it, clean, and applied anti-seize compound to make it move freely. I don't want to replace caliper unless I have to because I like to get some nice caliper, not from AAP, when that happens. The labor going into caliper is something I rather spend on replacing my rear drum brake, which is probably original from the factory.

Originally Posted By: M1Accord
Originally Posted By: Steve S
The pads are loose and rubbing on the discs.

I hope that is not the case because the mechanic pays very close attention to detail to everything.
your mechanic is what is referred to as a "butcher"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back