Brake squeal in reverse only

My 2015 Lexus GS350 AWD has an interesting "problem" Since new, the brakes squeal only in reverse. Back out of the garage first thing in the morning, squeal. Start going forward and slow down very gradually for the first stop sign, complete quiet. This happens every time I back the car out of the garage, a parking spot, etc. Does not matter whether it is the first "cold stop" or later after the rotors and pads are warm. It never happens when moving forward. The Lexus dealer could find no issues with the OEM brakes. I recently replaced the worn pads with Raybestos Element 3 pads and rotors. Exactly the same. Any thoughts?

I don't really mind it since it only happens in reverse. Maybe it is a safety measure to warn pedestrians (only partially kidding)

My Mercedes does this - every couple of years, the grease between the pads and caliper dries out/washes out and I get a bit of squeal in reverse.

Pull the pads, a bit of grease in the appropriate spots, quiet as a church mouse.

I don't think you have an actual problem, but my VW Passat did this same reverse only noise when one of the rear pads had a crack that went down to the backing plate.

My 2017 Nissan Frontier also does it, but really only the first back up of the day.

I have a 07 Highlander with the same squeal when going in reverse.
I have already grease the caliper bolt, etc. and it still do the same thing.
PO puts Brake Best pad (OReilly) in there and it is still thick so I just live with it.

My Mercedes does this - every couple of years, the grease between the pads and caliper dries out/washes out and I get a bit of squeal in reverse.

Pull the pads, a bit of grease in the appropriate spots, quiet as a church mouse.

It's funny you mentioned this. I opened this thread because my Merc does the exact same thing.
No other cars of mine display this trait.

Sometimes brake pads will “clunk” in reverse. It’s the shape of the pads and the OE fix is a moly-rich silicone lube between the shims and a dab on the pad ears.

Aftermarket pads can clunk whenever the brakes are applied - some brands don’t have precise fit in the pad ears.

Sometimes brake pads will “clunk” in reverse. It’s the shape of the pads and the OE fix is a moly-rich silicone lube between the shims and a dab on the pad ears.

Aftermarket pads can clunk whenever the brakes are applied - some brands don’t have precise fit in the pad ears.
This.
I remember a TSB for brake noise on GS, take a Google around
I'm having the opposite problem with aftermarket pads on my latest brake job
The hardware that came with Raybestos Element 3 pads is god awful, and the pad fitment to the bracket was even worse
I spent multiple minutes filing and angle grinding off too thick paint and poorly stamped backing plate
Finally I did achieve a free moving but non sloppy fit, but I was really annoyed about the extra time/effort
Last job I did was with Toyota OE pads, and it all fell together perfectly
I will say EHT pad compound is impressing me, to be fair 🤔

Back