Brake Runout - Dial Indicator

Ndx

Well, you’re a better tech than me. I have one of those expensive ones and I never can get it quite right. I just can’t get accurate readings on the expensive ones (but I’ve never tried the cheaper options). For me at least, the flexible arms are hard to use because they move. I just can’t get them to stay solid enough that I can get a consistent accurate reading quickly. If I stayed there all day and did it over and over again, perhaps I’d feel more confident, but perhaps you’ll have better luck.

I only use them for brake rotors, and I’ve since stopped using them at all. I don’t know how these would be for something else. Maybe better, maybe worse.

My two cents? Read the reviews in the cheaper ones and give them a try. My other two cents? If you’re buying these for brake rotors, don’t bother, just replace the rotors.

Reactions: Ndx
I bought a similar tool to the one you linked. I got mine from HF, it works great. HF Clamping Dial Indicator I've had it for a few years now and have used it quite a few times. Well worth the money imo. I use it to check rotors and for rotor replacement, it helps a lot. Kudos to @Trav for the recommendation.

Hi Friends,

Looking for Dial Indicator with Flexible/Cable arm.

Are the premium options worth extra $$

Same looking kits are one eBay/Amazon 50$
Please note that I have solid dial indicators that I can use, quality arm is what I’m after

Thx
Have you checked Summit yet? Then there is Fowler who offers several (different price levels) flex arm sets like what you looking for. IMHO , Starett makes the finest , except they price things way out of my budget. They are the "SnapOn" of precision instrument tools. Eastwood is another company (sells all things automotive) you can check out. Accusize Industrial Tools has several from $50 on up..... Did not use a lot of the flex arms like you want but there are plenty (prices & styles) to chose from. Have you seen this place? Looks like they sell all sorts of tools + brands.
Summit
sells this one:

I have this cheap one from MSC. I really hate the flexible arm / vice grip plier bases.

MSC Direct
Thank you, Yeah that seems to be consensus that people hate those arm’s, I’m just not sure if there is difference between US made ones and the cheap clones.

Have you checked Summit yet? Then there is Fowler who offers several (different price levels) flex arm sets like what you looking for. IMHO , Starett makes the finest , except they price things way out of my budget. They are the "SnapOn" of precision instrument tools. Eastwood is another company (sells all things automotive) you can check out. Accusize Industrial Tools has several from $50 on up..... Did not use a lot of the flex arms like you want but there are plenty (prices & styles) to chose from. Have you seen this place? Looks like they sell all sorts of tools + brands.
Summit
sells this one:
Thank you, this is great will check it out, and yes Starett, Mitu. Are indeed the best of the best
Well, you’re a better tech than me. I have one of those expensive ones and I never can get it quite right. I just can’t get accurate readings on the expensive ones (but I’ve never tried the cheaper options). For me at least, the flexible arms are hard to use because they move. I just can’t get them to stay solid enough that I can get a consistent accurate reading quickly. If I stayed there all day and did it over and over again, perhaps I’d feel more confident, but perhaps you’ll have better luck.

I only use them for brake rotors, and I’ve since stopped using them at all. I don’t know how these would be for something else. Maybe better, maybe worse.

My two cents? Read the reviews in the cheaper ones and give them a try. My other two cents? If you’re buying these for brake rotors, don’t bother, just replace the rotors.
Thank you, I doubt that … I actually need it for new rotors indexing.
I use a magnetic base and my portable tool box to hold it still.
YMMV
Smoky
Thank you, that’s an idea but not option for me :(
I bought a similar tool to the one you linked. I got mine from HF, it works great. HF Clamping Dial Indicator I've had it for a few years now and have used it quite a few times. Well worth the money imo. I use it to check rotors and for rotor replacement, it helps a lot. Kudos to @Trav for the recommendation.
Thank you, Good to know, some people seem to have lots of luck with those while others not so much I wonder if supplier changed

I've never had an application that needed a really expensive tool. I most often use mine to check flight control play. It's a critical app, but...

Basically any radial play is bad and the spec for axial is large enough that you could almost use a ruler to measure it. No need to get down to the thousandth. If the needle is swinging wildly you've got a problem.

always prefered the heavy magnetic or lock on type of base ones when tight spots or hard to reach set up was not a problem

I can't always use the magnetic base; most of my stuff is aluminum/magnesium or CF.

A couple of large hose clamps work. Even then, there's less fiddling that with the bendy-arm type.

I have been using a cheap magnetic V-Base and a Fowler gauge. I have better bases and indicators in my GrandDad's machinist's chest, old Starrett, Mitutoyo and Brown & Sharpe, but like others said, Fowler is good enough. If I drop or kick it by accident, I won't cry.

There are times when the Vise Grip version would be easier, but I've always been able to make do, sometimes with a rag between it and the fender. Just keep re-adjusting until it stays steady. If I get a good deal I might pick up the locking pliers version too... just to make things go faster on certain vehicles.

@Smoky14 I like the toolbox idea.

If the rotor is on a driven axle, the easy way to spin the rotor is to jack up both sides, and have a partner spin the opposite wheel.

As a machinist I've only ever used or laid hands on more conventional mag bases with arms. I personally only use NOGA in my shop. They're not cheap but it's literally a buy-once-cry-once

It looks like NOGA offers a KantTwist-esque clamp for their arms

I personally only use inexpensive dial indicators so should you drop it you need not cry. They're still plenty accurate for what I do and I have Interapid test indicators for tramming heads or vises anyway.

I've never understood the flexible arms, but again, never even touched one so maybe they're awesome.

Yep. I have that one pictured, except mine was made by Central Tool Company, Cranston RI. I wouldn't part with it. It works very well, locks tightly in place and is accurate. I use it for truing bicycle and spoked motorcycle wheels.

You can see this is the Chinese version of this tool.

I've never had an application that needed a really expensive tool. I most often use mine to check flight control play. It's a critical app, but...

Basically any radial play is bad and the spec for axial is large enough that you could almost use a ruler to measure it. No need to get down to the thousandth. If the needle is swinging wildly you've got a problem.
I just need to be able to set index, almost ;), but
Yep. I have that one pictured, except mine was made by Central Tool Company, Cranston RI. I wouldn't part with it. It works very well, locks tightly in place and is accurate. I use it for truing bicycle and spoked motorcycle wheels.

You can see this is the Chinese version of this tool.
Johnny - which version do you exactly have ?
And when did you purchase it ... looks like some older models use Vice Grip ( still US made ) and new one has Taiwnese vice grip

Would you mind snapping picture thank you!

they have two lines Central Tools and STORM Central Tools cheap line

It looks like the Central Tools might no longer be made in USA ( Clamps are Taiwanese and Gauge does not say Made in USA ) - at 350$ I would expect this to be US made ...

Last edited:
Sure. And yes, it's very old and very American made.
Sorry about the orientation.
dial2.jpg
dial1.jpg

Sure. And yes, it's very old and very American made.
Sorry about the orientation.
This is amazing, thank you!
While website says "Made in USA" it says right on vise that its made in taiwan ;) - on their current model :(

I emailed the company to clarify, while I don't care about Vise being Taiwanese, Gage and FlexArm .. should be made in USA

Last edited:
My post is of no use since you want U.S. made. I never measured rotor runout until I read about it here. Since I will only use it once every few years, I dropped my OCD penchant and followed demarpaint's example with the $25 HF model and it seemed to work fine for the purpose at hand. My EBC rotors fell within spec. (
IMG_4239.JPG

This guy's opinion is that the HF dial guage works "good enuf"

Last edited:
My post is of no use since you want U.S. made. I never measured rotor runout until I read about it here. Since I will only use it once every few years, I dropped my OCD penchant and followed demarpaint's example with the $25 HF model and it seemed to work fine for the purpose at hand. My EBC rotors fell within spec. (

This guy indicates that the HF dial guage works "good enuf"
Your post is appreciated!, And I might actually go HF route since so many positives here!
While I don't need USA made one for this, I just don't want to be taken for a ride spend hard earned money on premium product and get quality of product that I can buy for fraction!

thank you!

Back