Brake pad differences

Status
Not open for further replies.
Never ran into this before. The inner front brake pad is just about gone on the Focus so have to replace them this week. Cheap enough doesn't make sense to order online. The current pads have the split in the pad similar to the Wearever pads.. but the other 2 doesn't. In my mind the split pad would perform better but how much? Brakes and stopping power have never been a issue with this car.

BrakeBest Brakes D816
Duralast MKD816
Wearever Silver Semi-Metallic MKD816

I doubt you will notice any difference for the street.

Unless you are selling get the Gold pads. The coupons from advance brings the price down enough to get it about as cheap as the silver pads. I used the wearever gold on many cars and they work well.

Work on your hardware/ floating pins and whatnot and make sure they're free.

Was limited on the caliper grease so have to take care of that aspect later. It was free.

Did the 15% off at advanced for the wearever's. A set for $20 not bad! Not sure why the design differences but I guess I won't find out.

^

Yep if you have not installed use the better codes out there and get the gold pads. The silvers are a very basic metallic mix for most. The Gold will be the same type the car came with and use a better mix compared to the silver pads.

Yeah I would go with the Gold pads too. the Silvers tend to squeal and give off a lot of dust. And they don't come in Ceramic, but "Organic" they call it. Plus the Gold pads are direct OE replacement specs as far as chamfers and pad material is concerned.

Originally Posted By: eljefino

+1 You can buy the most expensive pad on the market but it will all be junk if the slides don't move properly and if the pads aren't bedded properly to the rotors. Also, silicone grease is your best friend. Use that on all the contact points and your caliper slides. Also replace the slides if you are able to.

Originally Posted By: Bgallagher
Originally Posted By: eljefino

+1 You can buy the most expensive pad on the market but it will all be junk if the slides don't move properly and if the pads aren't bedded properly to the rotors. Also, silicone grease is your best friend. Use that on all the contact points and your caliper slides. Also replace the slides if you are able to.

Can one use moly EP on the pad contact points/clips?
I don't think silicone grease last long time when exposed to the elements?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back