Brake discs

My 98 lancer never had brake disc replaced and i have 300k on the odometer should it be changed for safety or does the old manufacturing process are much stronger than today's? As i see new cars change brake discs at 60k or 100k maximum

there's a minimum thickness to avoid losing pads mostly and structural integrity, especially rusty vanes inside a vented disc. Other than that, if the disc looks good it is good.

The older Mitsubishi discs are definitely differently made than the modern/euro stuff.

BTW I have 140k on my car and am on original discs too, 2nd set of pads front and back. the current pads will make it to 200k easy. Driving style is very important in brake life

If the disc looks smooth and no grooves or rust you are probably safe continuing to use them. Doubtful if you will wear them enough to have them below minimum thickness. That typically comes from machining the disc.

Many people in the rust belt end up having an issue with the pads or caliper caused by rust or corrosion that screws up the disc.

I doubt that in Egypt the OP will have that kind of issue.

300k on them? Crazy! (even if kilometers) Do you happen to always stop the car Fred Flintstone style with your feet on the pavement? If so, what brand of shoes do you wear? ;)

300k on them? Crazy! (even if kilometers) Do you happen to always stop the car Fred Flintstone style with your feet on the pavement? If so, what brand of shoes do you wear? ;)
I assume he means they were never replaced while HE owned it. The only cars with rotors that last that long are hybrids or those with ceramic rotors.

If the disc looks smooth and no grooves or rust you are probably safe continuing to use them. Doubtful if you will wear them enough to have them below minimum thickness. That typically comes from machining the disc.

Many people in the rust belt end up having an issue with the pads or caliper caused by rust or corrosion that screws up the disc.

No rust whatsoever on it
As long as they are within the thickness they will be fine and not too grooved.
It has been sent to a special workshop to sweep a layer off of it as it was causing issues with the breaking pads causing it to whistle and wear off prematurely now it is smooth as baby skin but cant say the same on the backside
I assume he means they were never replaced while HE owned it. The only cars with rotors that last that long are hybrids or those with ceramic rotors.
Never replaced since 1998 as i had the car when it had 40k on the odometer and the previous owner didn't do much work on the car

Should be able to go through at least two sets of pads before disk (rotor) wear becomes significant. Unless there is rust or the pads were allowed to wear all the way out to metal on metal contact.

On some cars it is necessary to do quite a bit of labor including disassembling the wheel bearings to replace a brake rotor, so that is not done until it is required.

I live in the Northeast and had to do the rear pads on a car at 168kmiles due to wear--the fronts still had 3/4 of the pad left after 175k when I replaced them (one pad fell off!). All about the driver and the conditions they drive in, although I'm sure some vehicles are better at brake life than others.

I usually do rotors at the same time, they do get chewed up here. If they were not warped and not grooved badly I'd reuse, if they met min thickness and all that.

I replace discs below minimum thickness every week. Not machined of course. it's all about driving style.

The discs on my car are on 140k and will make 200k before the current pads wear out. others have new discs before 60k. I dont use brakes to regulate my speed, I have a throttle and distance to do that...

Back