Brake Cleaner Substitutes?

I usually get a bunch of cans of brake cleaner when it's on sale, but that got me thinking. There's surely cheaper substitutes that can be used? Googling around, I see that denatured alcohol is common but it's not readily available here in Canada.

Thought I would make a thread to gather some ideas. What have you guys used successfully as a cheap substitute to brake cleaner? The holy grail would be a fluid that's cheap, effective, yet safe on all seals to a point where it can be stored safety in a spray bottle for use.

Another vote for cheaper brake cleaner. I was at Napa the other day and cleared out the 3M brand chlorinated brake cleaner that was on closeout. Any brand will do just fine the SuperTech or whatever brand. It’s not that expensive anyway. Probably could use carb cleaner too.

I usually get a bunch of cans of brake cleaner when it's on sale, but that got me thinking. There's surely cheaper substitutes that can be used? Googling around, I see that denatured alcohol is common but it's not readily available here in Canada.

Thought I would make a thread to gather some ideas. What have you guys used successfully as a cheap substitute to brake cleaner? The holy grail would be a fluid that's cheap, effective, yet safe on all seals to a point where it can be stored safety in a spray bottle for use.
What are you using it for? Looking to save $0.50 on a can? :oops:

Yeah, if you want cheaper brake fluid, try Walmart, their Super Tech brake cleaner is almost half the price of the name brand stuff. About $2 for a 14.5 oz can. I'm sure it's higher in Canada.
Wish they had a chlorinated version though. Works much better and dries a lot faster than the non-chlorinated type.

Here is some info on the chlorinated vs non chlorinated brake cleaner with discussion of what’s in them. There are also health issues and flamabilty issues and they run counter to each other.

I wear a cartridge type breathing mask when using either one and it’s amazing that I can’t even smell it when using the mask. In a shop environment with a health and safety program, non chlorinated is usually mandated as it is in California I believe. Enjoy.

C60270A3-42C1-47BB-9659-89A30BA708B7.jpg

I thought the non-chlorinated brake cleaner was mostly heptane and isopropanol.

Heptane is not readily available. Isopropanol and acetone are, but acetone eats most plastics.

I’m in the “find cheaper brake cleaner” crowd.

It has always seemed to me, that every time a manufacturer changes a product to be more, "environmentally friendly", it never seems to work as well after that. The 2 best examples are Hoppes #9, after they took the Benzene out of it. (It also changed it's famous smell to something far less desirable).

And Tap Magic. That stuff was fantastic as a thread cutting fluid. At least before everyone decided to save the whales and the poor people. After they changed the formula to, "Meet Environmental Needs", it wasn't even as good as plain Kerosene.

Pressurising flammble liquids with air is a bad idea. I use the chlorinated brake cleaner, I buy the gallon container and use it in a compressed air sprayer and only use that container for the brake cleaner. I dont weld so the chance of making phosgene is very slight. I find that the chlorinated stuff works much better and is not flammable so I use less, plus acetone is a strong solvent that attack plastics. Let CA and NJ keep the flammable junk I like the chorinated stuff

Back