Boy Scout popcorn sales- when greed kills the goose

Status
Not open for further replies.

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
Early today, in the mall at FT Lewis outside a Post Exchange (PX), a Boy Scout asked if I would purchase popcorn for a boy scout fund raiser.

I said sure, always want to support what should be a good cause. No prices were listed, I picked out a bag of cheese popcorn that I thought my Daughter and Wife might enjoy. This size bag of popcorn sells at retail typically for $2.49 to $3.99. At the dollar stores, this bag sells for...... $1

I about had a heart attack when I was told the price........ $25..... I paid as I keep my word, but I will never monetarily support boy scouts in the future, and will have an "ill will" on the organization. The back of the bag states 73% of the sale goes to local scouts. Which means $6.73 goes to who knows what..... for a bag of popcorn that likely costs about .65.

I am very far from being rich/ wealthy. But I want to be charitable with the funds I have. This was a huge downer.
PXL_20220813_230554126.jpg
PXL_20220814_030753484.jpg

Cub/Boy Scouts have went overboard with the prices of the things they sell for their fundraisers. Same thing with their "nut" sales. The tins they sell are priced outrageously and to the point that it's just a "no thanks" from me. While Girl Scouts have raised their cookie prices, tney're still reasonable.

These "sales" event typically are bloated with overhead, but that can also be due to them not selling year round and they are small volume compare to store brand private label stuff with 1000x the volume.

If you want to support them just tell them you will send them a check and get a receipt for tax deduction, it is usually much better (although that also have other overhead). Better yet, help the local org you want to support by going there to help them or buy the supply they need directly and bring them over.

I about had a heart attack when I was told the price........ $25..... I paid as I keep my word
It wouldn't be out of line to respond that $25 was a LOT more than you were thinking it would cost and in turn, you (or anyone) could simply donate $10, $15, etc for nothing in return. Girl Scouts do similar with their cookie sales. For example, someone who doesn't eat cookies (diet reasons, health reasons, etc) can still give money and what our daughter's troop did was "buy" a box of cookies (for every person that donated money) and gave them to a local organization that sends them to troops overseas. This group also sends things like popcorn, coffee makers, snacks, pillows, etc (anything a soldier would use or need).

Here's an interesting take on Boy Scout Popcorn sales. Bottom line explanation is you're giving a donation and getting a box of popcorn as a thank you. It should be clearly explained as such.

I'm an Eagle Scout, and believe in what Boy Scouts was. The deal with girls in Boy Scouts is unfortunate IMO and the problem with child abuse by leaders and the cover-up by BSA is heartbreaking and disturbing. I haven't been around Scouting and didn't know the details of the popcorn sale.

My dad, grandfather, and scoutmaster were the most important men in my young life growing up. I never had the situation in my adult life to give back as a leader unfortunately.

I dont do any of my kids school fundraisers for the same reason. I would rather give them the same amount of money as whatever overpriced crap they are selling instead. Skip the wasting of money on the logistics and paying companies to make stuff.

I realize they do it because many people won’t donate unless they get something out of it.

Early today, in the mall at FT Lewis outside a Post Exchange (PX), a Boy Scout asked if I would purchase popcorn for a boy scout fund raiser.
I about had a heart attack when I was told the price........ $25..... I paid as I keep my word, ...
You shouldn't have paid. When they asked if you would buy it, they intentionally withheld important information from you, which was misleading. Anyone who does this is trying to get people to pay out of a sense of guilt, and does not deserve to be paid. Just tell them you thought it would be a buck or two, and walk away.

So you agreed to take part in a fundraiser but ideologically disagree that they should generate funds on the sale of popcorn.

This is a phenomenon my teen soccer team encountered. If we asked for a cash donation with nothing in return, people were happy to support. If we sold a product, they were appalled at the high price of a candy bar.

One situation your out $10 with no candy bar, the other you're out $10 with a candy bar. Strangely, the candy bar option is the one that leaves a bad taste in peoples mouths!

Last edited:
I've had the same experience as the GON when buying popcorn from the Boy Scouts...I chalked up the difference as a straight donation to them as I still believe in the cause...but it does get rough...especially in tough times

Bill

$7.50 would be the limit for me. For me, common sense over rules a sense to support a cause. Too bad it is not realized that more money would be raised selling more items at a lower price.
And in my case, I likely will never give consideration to a Boy Scout fund raiser. The fundraising corporation that is behind this practice doesn't need me to ever participate in a Boy Scout fundraiser again- they rang the register on me and millions of others this year, at a profit of what I see is over $5 net profit per bag of popcorn direct to Weaver, LLC(not to the Boy Scouts).

I am a huge fan of Boy Scout values, the fortitude it takes to make Eagle Scout, and how young men that achieve Eagle Scout are very often great lifetime contributors to the USA as adults. I think a sale of this nature is actually counter to what I thought were Scout values. I think it actually sends a message to Boy scouts that trickery and exploitation is ok.

I am out for supporting Boy Scouts.

Last edited:
I swear I thought the BSA was out of business due to impending liability issues stemming from sex crime cases.

Aside from that, what are the budget requirements to teach kids to tie knots or hike in the woods? I can see bus rentals to trail heads and materials costs. I suppose volunteers are few and the ones they get are paper pushers -products of the information age.
What hubbie wants to risk his family's net worth teaching a group of kids how to use a table saw?

I've often felt communities are fractured, empty shells of themselves....sharing town lines and schools could be it.
A criticism I heard all my life from my parents (heavily involved with the Girl Scouts) regarded making the parents understand that scouting isn't a uniformed baby sitting service.

Out in public ... "no thank you"
At home, a No Solicitation Sign hangs at doorbell.
There is just too much greed in all these charities, ...... and there are thousands of them.

I was in Scouts, and still remember.
A boy scout is:
* trustworthy
* loyal
* helpful
* friendly
* courteous
* kind
* obedient
* cheerful
* thrifty
* brave
* clean
* and reverent

I think there is a disconnect between the donation asked for and the item received. If it had been a T shirt or a towel that might have changed the equation. A bag of popcorn seems pretty menial.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back