Bought new Moen kitchen faucet: Junk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Come on guys......most things like this have been reduced to "8 chips in a bag". In another 10 years, this kind of stuff will be a "6 chips in a bag" item. At what point will they give us chromed plastic faucets? You guys in your 30's will see it in your lifetime. Too many things are being made so cheap and of crap quality these days.

Originally Posted by LoneRanger
Open to suggestions on a quality high arc pull down, guess we need to spend more, let's set the limit at $350.

I have this one, been in about 18 months, i'm happy. $279.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/KOHLER-...brant-Stainless-K-R10651-SD-VS/206086636

[Linked Image from images.homedepot-static.com]

I bought the Delta Leland Pull-Down. We are very happy with it. Made in the U.S. and brass construction.

You can still get decent Moen / Delta / etc from big box stores but you have to order it online. The in stock units are generally lower quality but they will honor their warranty. In a prev home I installed $50 Moen lav faucets that started leaking after a year.

We recently remodeled and installed Moen "Wynford" bathroom faucets and for the mtr shower. Very solid but pricy.

For the kitchen we have this (I think)
https://www.amazon.com/Moen-One-Handle-Featuring-Stainless-7594SRS/dp/B0087AQ0MC

So about $250 gets you in the game.

For the best quality I've seen so far: Grohe, Hansgrohe, maybe Toto too. I'm sure the higher end Delta / Moen / whatever are good still but you aren't getting anything too good for $150 these days.

The lowest common denominator rules the competition these days. High end or low end, if internals can be made with less expensive plastic parts they will be made that way.

I only buy my Moen from a plumbing supply house or online directly from Moen. I had a 65% discount through Dec 30 from their online store. Anyways, I have lived in this house for 26 years and they replace "anything" that breaks at no charge. Maybe everyone else does, IDK???

I have one of those high arched kitchen sink faucets and the braided hose started leaking last week. Called Moen and a replacement is on the way. I hope it's not a PITB to replace.

Bought a Moen Haywood high arc pull down kitchen faucet other day at Menard's. Liked that Moen is made in USA. Unbox it at home, and it struck me as el cheapo quality. The flex lines for supply and the pull down hose feel cheap and flimsy Overall first impression is of low quality. It was on sale $149, guess you get what you pay for. Returning it, and will be looking for better quality.

Open to suggestions on a quality high arc pull down, guess we need to spend more, let's set the limit at $350.

'I would install and use it - you may like it.

You may be overthinking or obsessing. I'm sure they tested the gremlins out of it.

You may buy something that looks good to your criterion and it will fail somewhere unexpected anyhow.

How hard is it to replace the valve or cartridge when it starts dripping?

Funny I still have a 20 yo old new old stock Delta with the ergonomic shift handle.
I just did a washer and spring kit on it after 18 years in service.

I do like the gooseneck on the new faucets. Moving Back to 100 year old tech that is new again !

The flex lines for supply and the pull down hose feel cheap and flimsy Overall first impression is of low quality.

That's every new faucet that uses those flex lines, irregardless of price point.

Originally Posted by Mainia
At what point will they give us chromed plastic faucets?

Are you sure that's not already the standard as of at least 10 years ago?

My parents' house that was built in the 50s still had all the original Moen stuff in it and it worked perfectly and still looked brand new. Those fixtures were built like a tank. I'm guessing today's Moen isn't the original 50s era Moen?

A house I owned thru the 80s came with Moens and I was replacing parts pretty frequently. Got tired of it and replaced them with Delta or American Std. Much better than Moen. Current house (since '92) has Deltas and the quality is there. So no Moens for me.

Originally Posted by Mainia
Come on guys......most things like this have been reduced to "8 chips in a bag". In another 10 years, this kind of stuff will be a "6 chips in a bag" item. At what point will they give us chromed plastic faucets? You guys in your 30's will see it in your lifetime. Too many things are being made so cheap and of crap quality these days.

They already exist.

Every time I use my kitchen faucet, I expect the handle to come off in my hand. The 40+ year old (Eljer?) faucet in my old house works better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back