Bought my first bike tonight!

I decided to give up the car search for now, I don't need one until winter and prices are stupid high because people have money to spend. SO! I decided that now was as good a time as any to do some bike shopping. I didn't really have anything in mind, basically an 80's tourer with a 4 cylinder. I've always liked the Suzuki GS bikes, but I didn't have much luck there so I left my options open. Then, I came upon this:

1980 Honda CB900C

I drove the hour and a half north tonight to take a look, and I can honestly say that the pictures don't do it justice. The paint is almost flawless, it's never been laid down, the tires and brakes are perfect. It's still got the factory stickers on the tank and all the appropriate places. Apparently, the owner got it from the original owner who lives right down the road, and it's obviously been lovingly cared for. There's some info in the ad, but I couldn't find anything wrong other than a very slight seep from the shifter seal, which apparently is common for these. The seat doesn't have as much as a fade to it, nevermind any wear and tear.

I didn't even question the price, I knew it was a good deal. I'm not one to buy something without doing tons of research, and although I still have lots more to do I feel like I've got a good understanding of the basics of the bike.

Just to clarify, this is my first PERSONAL bike, but not at all the first bike I've been on. I've ridden everything from a CBR600RR to a Harley Custom to a Goldwing to a scooter. I'm perfectly comfortable mentally on pretty much anything, however comfort has been hard to come by. The seat height and rake of the CB900 felt almost perfect to me (5'11, not much leg). I can't wait to put some miles on the beauty!

Very nice! I looked at the pics and does that have a 10 speed transmission?

Pic of it from your link:

[Linked Image]

Nice ride, that was a great era for Honda. I had an 83 VF1100C and put 200K km on in 10 years it with no issues just reg maintenance.

Originally Posted by skyactiv
Very nice! I looked at the pics and does that have a 10 speed transmission?

Pic of it from your link:

[Linked Image]

Well, technically it's got 10 "speeds", but it's a normal 5-speed gearbox with a 2-speed transfer case. Honda needed a way to convert the left hand output of the gearbox with the right hand output required by the shaft drive they bogarted off the Goldwing, so they installed a 2-speed transfer box in between. From what I've read, most people run the bike in low for gears 1-5, then use high as an OD gear on the highway.

I will add that I quit riding but have owned a few bikes over the years. Nothing beats the feel of a 4 cylinder bike with the carbs dialed in.

I remember that 2 range rig, had a buddy with one

Yup - same deal - He settled on running low range until the final upshift on the 2nd range

Have fun, be safe, congrats!

UD

My boss when I was a teen had one of those. Loved riding that thing and would love to have one today.

The one my boss had was the full fairing touring model.

$1,400 for a running bike like this is a great deal.

Holy smokes...that Honda looks BETTER than brand new!
Personally, I'm not a Honda guy, but I totally respect them. There's a good chance that if I had seen this bike for sale, in that condition, at that price, I'd have bought it myself. Very nice snag.
If it runs as nice as it looks, you're going to have some big fun.

Bike looks to be in super good shape ... good find.

So can the L-H transfer gear be changed on the fly? Sounds like it.

A buddy has owned one just like that since '80. His has a ton of miles, and doesn't look nearly as good.

Beautiful bike and excellent find! You just commented in my thread about looking for a bike. Man, can't beat the timing.

Those are excellent bikes and it should still be running long after you get tired of it. Funny how the speedometer only goes to 85. (mine is the same way) In high range it'll do a LOT more than that, and never break a sweat. lol

Congrats again and keep us updated.

Last edited:
Nice bike.....I really liked those 'all arounders' from that era as compared to today's 'niche' bikes.
You could ride that bike around town all year and then throw a fairing on it an take off across the continent....

Originally Posted by Normac
Beautiful bike and excellent find! You just commented in my thread about looking for a bike. Man, can't beat the timing.

Those are excellent bikes and it should still be running long after you get tired of it. Funny how the speedometer only goes to 85. (mine is the same way) In high range it'll do a LOT more than that, and never break a sweat. lol

The law in the US back in the 80's said speedometers top at 85 mph, my KZ 1000 speedometer is 85 mph even though it'll do 100+ mph.

Nice looking Honda

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Normac

I know! Very strange timing, indeed. I wasn't even seriously looking, but I just couldn't turn down this deal. I'm hoping to have it home on Monday evening, the bike is an hour and half north of me and hasn't been registered since 2014 when the current owner got it. He's so far up north that there's no cops to bother him about it, so he never got tabs for it. I've got a buddy with an enclosed trailer, so we're going to haul it back down to his place then I'll bring it home.

I'm planning on putting collector plates on it anyways, so I won't even need to buy tabs.

Last edited:
Back