Bought a used Ruger SS Blackhawk 4.625"

Status
Not open for further replies.
$325. It's kinda worn and needs a good barrel and cylinder cleaning, plus the Bianchi holster is a little worse for wear - the brass snaps are all nasty blue and crusty. Serial numbers match and SN indicates it was made in 1977. Some days I just want to shoot 38 Special and 357 mag and leave the auto loaders at home.

Range report in couple weeks. Private party so I could just walk away with it.

First of all the action and the cylinder are pretty clean, not up to my cleanliness standards, but acceptable. It's a bit odd - barrel neglected, action fairly clean. I just spent 1.5 hours cleaning the barrel and cylinder, I'll focus on the barrel, because the cylinder just came along for the ride. I removed the grips which have a nice dark patina and a ton of gun oil soaked into them. I gently cleaned the loose dirt and sweaty hand grime with Murphy's oil soap and warm water. They are clean with rich patina still there. I will oil them up just a bit with some wood oil.

Last night I left it wetted/soaking in Ballistol. The barrel was so filthy, I went straight to the wet bronze brush. I went at it for a bit - wow lots of junk came out, including small copper bits and flakes. The Ballistol was foaming a bit. Then I swabbed, and blew it out with MP, swabbed dry. Barrel now roughly cleaner with all loose material gone but plenty of rust/orange colored material packed in the grooves.

Next I get out the Sweet's 7.62 Bore Cleaning Solvent and patches. Soak and repeat. Vigorous swabbing. The patches never got very much blue on them - curious this. Dry out really well, then hose down well with more MP. Repeat and dry. For sure it is cleaner - making progress, but still this reddish stuff in the grooves.

Next some 25 year old Hoppe's #9, soak and brush and soak and brush - the very last of my stash. The grooves are now more prominent, but still stained. Dry and swap with oil and blow out again with MP, repeat.

The barrel is now cleaner than when I started, but I still cannot ID the fouling. It's almost like it's surface oxidation on non-passivated stainless steel. (It could be!). It's now shootable, but I would appreciate some input. Plus I will research more.

Gun reassembled and it's that very sweet New Model Blackhawk love action. Very nice for the price.

Those are Great guns, very well built and virtually indestructable. They just sort of take a back seat to the auto loaders and double action revolvers, which are lighter and are so much faster to reload.

Nice gun. I have a 6.5 inch .357. I'd recommend you check out the Wolf springs for it. I replaced mine and am much happier with the trigger pull, also put a lighter hammer spring in it. Hogue makes some awesome wood grips for it too if you decide you want something fancier.

I already own the 6.5" .357/9mm convertible New Model in blue. I bought some nice checkered cocobolo grips from Esmeralda for that one because it came with the nasty black plastic ones. Frankly, the grips this one came with are quite pretty and the Ruger badge inserts look near perfect and shiny. Not sure what kind of wood they are - maybe dark walnut. Ruger currently just says "hardwood"

The 6" is a fine shooter - VERY accurate and trigger pull seems about perfect where it is, but I will think about it with both guns.

Awesome Pablo! I would like the shorter barrel ones eventually also. I too have the New Model Blackhawk 6.5". Mine is SS and probably 97% condition. I would say it's 25+ years old. I love that gun!

Fantastic gun. One of my most accurate pistols. (I have an old Blackhawk)

Everyone at the range wants to try it! I have some hot loads for it and the muzzle flash is AWESOME!

Re: the old Hoppe's #9- Pablo, try this. Run a wet(w/#9), barely snug patch through the barrel, and then LET IT SIT FOR AT LEAST A DAY (2 or 3 days or even a week won't hurt a thing) with barrel horizontal. Then go in & scrub again with your bronze brush.

The old Hoppe's #9 was great stuff, but to get its best performance it needs to soak- and then sit. You may be surprised by all the extra new stuff that comes out. I can remember when I sure was!
grin.gif

Sounds like lead fouling. Especially if the original owner would shoot .357 lead bullets in it. I've been there.

I agree with the soaking. Hoppes is not my favorite, but maybe some other type of penetrating oil.

Soaked for two days in PB Blaster. Bronze brushed it a bunch and soaked again. Brushed and blew it out. Rinsed entire gun with Amsoil MP, because P'Blaster stinks so bad....wiped it dry....

And great news!! Barrel is very clean. Certainly no pitting, just a one or two specks left at the muzzle end, nice and shiny. WooWho!!

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Gun shoots real nice like. Make big flash with hot 357 loads.

Back in my high school days I loaded some max load (maybe a tad over
27.gif
) 125gr. JHP (2400 powder) for my dad's Mod 28 N frame. Yes, he knew...

Anyway, I tried them in his 4", 586 and the ball of fire and noise was nothing short of impressive! When you're done shooting and everyone on the range is looking at you, wondering what you're shooting, you know you done good...
13.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back