Bought a new 2023 Mazda CX-5

I had a 2015 and I really liked it. I thought I hated the transmission and traded it in for a 2016 6 with a 6 speed manual but it turns out I hated the throttle response. My 6 exhibits the same laggy throttle response. hope they fixed that by now.

I had a 2015 and I really liked it. I thought I hated the transmission and traded it in for a 2016 6 with a 6 speed manual but it turns out I hated the throttle response. My 6 exhibits the same laggy throttle response. hope they fixed that by now.
The Sport mode they added in the 2016 refresh on the 2.5L automatic options was an overkill correction for your concerns. 5% throttle = 40% of the tach

The Sport mode they added in the 2016 refresh on the 2.5L automatic options was an overkill correction for your concerns. 5% throttle = 40% of the tach

It is something to get used to although they may have changed the programming since my 2017. The small torque converter is in use up to about 5 mph or so then it locks up.

Now they are moving towards the transmission without a torque converter.

It is something to get used to although they may have changed the programming since my 2017. The small torque converter is in use up to about 5 mph or so then it locks up.

Now they are moving towards the transmission without a torque converter.
That's how all of the Skyactiv Drive transmissions are as far as lock up behavior. That 8 speed design should be pretty reliable hopefully, it's very similar in concept to the Mercedes 9Gtronic.

I've finally calmed down enough to reply.

lets-go.gif

Congrats! I owned a 2013 Mazda CX-5 from 8/2012 until 8/2022. They initially came with the 2.0L and it was a fantastic vehicle overall. I don't recall a single issue, it was the most dependable car I've owned. Maintenance was a breeze, great efficiency and overall very comfortable on long trips. You'll enjoy it!

Congratulations and Good Luck. As the go to guy when people ask me for an opinion on a car purchase. My neighbor and niece were looking for a fun reliable suv and I recommended the CX-5. Both love them much more than their previous CRV's.

Mine was dealer serviced about every 5000 miles, I guess with 0w-20 bulk oil. I doubt they use Mazda oil. Might call the service dept. and check. Inside the fill hole looks like new with 60,000 miles.

Maybe I should stick to what the dealer used, it looks like new inside.

Last edited:
Huge Mazda fan these days. Nice! These are quite reliable as long as they receive proper care and attention.

Just make sure to do all fluids on time. I’d personally use a 0w30 or 5w30 in it. Mazda is one of the few manufacturers who still provide a temp chart for multiple grades.

Also, make sure wring it out from time to time and use fuel system cleaner occasionally. Helps keep the valves clean. These 2.5 Skyactiv engines like to spin.

Just looking at Mazda last weekend. Almost bought one, but the "money" guy ticked us off (lied to us) and we walked out. May go to a different dealership. My wife wants one.

Back