Bought a new 2019 KIA Sorento EX 3.3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought a new 2019 KIA Sorento EX 3.3 last night.

Wife was looking for a CUV and I a wagon. So we compromised and got a CUV.

We test drove the Highlander, CX9, and the Hyunkia twins. Ulitmately we liked the Sorento the most. This one has all leather with the penalty box third row. It also, more importantly, has the full safety tech suite as well.
I live in Norman, OKC metro, and looked in Dallas, OKC, and Tulsa for good deals. Got this one for 27,400 in Tulsa out the door.

Ride quality is very good and so is the NVH. The 3.3 pulls really well and seems like a good motor. I couldn't imagine driving this with the 2.4. Seats are very comfortable for both of us and the 8 way adjustable with memory is really nice to have.
Since I bought it in Tulsa I didn't want to take the turnpike and do 80 for a sustained time with the new motor. So I took Rt 66 all the way back and enjoyed the drive.

Just thought I'd share. I know we have some serious KIA bashers on here. That being said, I've never had a problem with the 4 we've owned over the years.

[Linked Image]

Congrats and well thought out on the 2.4 vs the 3.3. It's a beauty that will serve you well for years to come.

$27,400 is a great deal. MSRP is $35,500 for the EX.
I did not know they even offered the 2.4 in this. My Santa Fe is basically the same vehicle and agree that would be a poor choice for this size vehicle.
Funny that Kia has 7 trim levels for it, but Hyundai only has 3.
I was looking at both the Sorento and Santa Fe, and was leaning toward the Sorento, but found a good deal on an almost new Santa Fe.
Enjoy the ride.
Not a lot (as in any that I could find) UOA on this 3.3.
For the driving we do in it (a lot of short trips and idling), I am just sticking with a 6 month/5,000 mile interval with synthetic 10w-30 (I have a stash of Pennzoil Platinum to use, as well as some Rotella T6 5w-40).

I had the 3.3 in a 2006 sonata. While it wasn't GDI, it was a very well built and trouble free engine, and plenty of power. I could usually pull 29 mpg on freeway runs, keeping my foot steady, of course. And with the cartridge filter on top of the motor, it made oil changes a breeze.

Handsome ride. I prefer the Sorento to the Santa Fe. Enjoy
smile.gif

That seems like an excellent price on a front wheel drive EX. I really liked the Sorento, but I need more cargo capacity. So I'm waiting a year or two for a Telluride in case there are any bugs to fix.

Originally Posted by geekster
Thanks guys! I need to lookup some UOA's on the 3.3 GDI and get a feel for what to expect on the fuel dilution.

Our previous wagons were a TSX wagon that I loved, my wife loathed it, and a Subie Outback. She would have considered another Outback but wanted the 3.6r and those are a bit pricey for me. She didn't like how low to the ground the TSX was. I was trying to push a new VW Alltrack and she said it was a tad too small.

Originally Posted by blupupher
$27,400 is a great deal. MSRP is $35,500 for the EX.
I did not know they even offered the 2.4 in this. My Santa Fe is basically the same vehicle and agree that would be a poor choice for this size vehicle.
Funny that Kia has 7 trim levels for it, but Hyundai only has 3.
I was looking at both the Sorento and Santa Fe, and was leaning toward the Sorento, but found a good deal on an almost new Santa Fe.
Enjoy the ride.
Not a lot (as in any that I could find) UOA on this 3.3.
For the driving we do in it (a lot of short trips and idling), I am just sticking with a 6 month/5,000 mile interval with synthetic 10w-30 (I have a stash of Pennzoil Platinum to use, as well as some Rotella T6 5w-40).

KIA has some serious incentives going right now. I couldn't pass on it. I found out about it on the KIA-Forum. Different people were saying you can get 9k off. Which is essentially what I got. The problem is finding a dealer that will do that. Seems that most KIA dealers are kind of shady about their pricing around me. This was advertised at the sale price on the website. I called to make sure that I didn't have to be a three legged military vet with two left hands to qualify. Dealer said "nope, what you see is what you pay" so I made the drive.

check your owners manual, girlfriends 8 thou optima she just got shows 5-20 or 5-30 or 10-30 for her 2.4L + a temperature chart. oil cap says 5-20 what the car lot put in + i quickly dumped for 10-30 for Pa summer + 5-30 for winters! a lot better car than her traded crappy oil burning 13 malibu 2.5L LS!!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by wemay
Congrats and well thought out on the 2.4 vs the 3.3. It's a beauty that will serve you well for years to come.

Thanks wemay. You know I love my wagons, but this is really really nice.

Passed on my 2016 Sorento SX V6 3.3L to my middle son when I got the JGC.
The Sorento is an awesome vehicle. They changed the oil filter location to underneath the engine for 2019, with a spin on can. The 2016 had the cartridge up top.
The belly pan is a pain to remove as it has like 17 screws, I bought an oil extractor for the 2016. Did the one drain to get the OE crush washer off and that was it.
I use PP 5W-30 on it, and it runs well with 5W-30. Canada OCI is 3750 miles, as we fall into the extreme use category.
New 8-speed transmission for 2019 vs 6 -speed for earlier versions. The 3.3L is a little down on torque at lower rpm, don't be surprised if it downshifts on slight grades or into the wind.
The 6-speed is flawless in my '16.
Enjoy the ride!

Originally Posted by Danno
Passed on my 2016 Sorento SX V6 3.3L to my middle son when I got the JGC.
The Sorento is an awesome vehicle. They changed the oil filter location to underneath the engine for 2019, with a spin on can. The 2016 had the cartridge up top.
The belly pan is a pain to remove as it has like 17 screws, I bought an oil extractor for the 2016. Did the one drain to get the OE crush washer off and that was it.
I use PP 5W-30 on it, and it runs well with 5W-30. Canada OCI is 3750 miles, as we fall into the extreme use category.
New 8-speed transmission for 2019 vs 6 -speed for earlier versions. The 3.3L is a little down on torque at lower rpm, don't be surprised if it downshifts on slight grades or into the wind.
The 6-speed is flawless in my '16.
Enjoy the ride!

That's good too hear Danno. Wife really likes it, and that's what really matters. (I do too)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back