2020 Kia Sorento EX

Mine did pretty well last winter in about four inches of snow with the OE Kumhos. But I will probably replace them with Rt 43s this winter. I thought the AWD system worked well.

Nice!

Do you plan on running a winter set of wheels/tires?

Reason I ask is, this one might suck in the snow even with AWD/4x4 because of the OEM tires.
We're doing one better than that...my wife found a job 4 miles from our "vacation house" in SW Florida and I'm looking for gainful employment...we are selling the OH house and moving where there is no snow.

We're doing one better than that...my wife found a job 4 miles from our "vacation house" in SW Florida and I'm looking for gainful employment...we are selling the OH house and moving where there is no snow.

Sounds like a dream come true to me! Congrats on all of it.

When I saw that you had two locations listed, I figured you were at least wintering in Florida.

Have a 2016 Sorento V6 AWD SX in the fleet.
Nice ride, really enjoyed it, passed it on to the middle son.
2020 has the 8-speed vs 6-speed, improved AC heat controls, and new DRLs.
The AWD system is second to none. Here's an interesting video on the AWD system.

Not too many vehicles can do that. Must you "lock it"

Nice!

Do you plan on running a winter set of wheels/tires?

Reason I ask is, this one might suck in the snow even with AWD/4x4 because of the OEM tires.

I had ZERO ISSUES getting around on the snow with the OEM Crugen tires with my wife's 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe XL w/AWD.
I now have have the General RT43's and the thing is now a beast in the snow.

I had ZERO ISSUES getting around on the snow with the OEM Crugen tires with my wife's 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe XL w/AWD.
I now have have the General RT43's and the thing is now a beast in the snow.
Just wondering - what’s the definition of “a beast in the snow”? I’m sure it’s a king of city roads and highways, but it probably ends there

Just wondering - what’s the definition of “a beast in the snow”? I’m sure it’s a king of city roads and highways, but it probably ends there

The vehicle isn't built for off-road (Hyundai never marketed as such either). Consequently-it doesn't go off road much. There are dirt roads in the canyons in Utah. I live on a hill-which in the winter time it's not uncommon for front wheel drive vehicles (without snow tires) to get stuck at the bottom. My point being is that the RT-43's are much more sure footed that the OEM Crugens that came with the car when it was purchased new.

Hope this address your question.

I think the fact that it can do this diagonal ramp test says it probably is just that.

The vehicle isn't built for off-road (Hyundai never marketed as such either). Consequently-it doesn't go off road much. There are dirt roads in the canyons in Utah. I live on a hill-which in the winter time it's not uncommon for front wheel drive vehicles (without snow tires) to get stuck at the bottom. My point being is that the RT-43's are much more sure footed that the OEM Crugens that came with the car when it was purchased new.

Hope this address your question.

Now it makes more sense with the added context. If one lives in the area that snows during winter, it’s pretty weird to me to not have winter tires. Might be just me tho. Glad it works well for you

Now it makes more sense with the added context. If one lives in the area that snows during winter, it’s pretty weird to me to not have winter tires. Might be just me tho. Glad it works well for you
Utah does a great job of clearing the roads. The issues are the parking lots that are cleared by private contractors-shopping centers, malls, restaurants and the like. Many here don't even have AWD. If I lived in a state that received lots of snow (Michigan, Minnesota, etc.,) then snow tires would be in order.

We bought the house as a place to grab a cheap Allegiant flight to Punta Gorda for long weekends, then retire there in 12-15 years...enjoyed it so much we just decided to move down and be done with it.

Spent a couple of days in Punta Gorda several years ago. Nice area. I visited the Muscle Car Museum as well.

Quickie report...car has almost 6000 miles on it now, got its first oil change at 4900 miles. The Valvoline tech was not amused at all the fasteners for the belly pan. No issues aside from a door ding on the side, and a little dent on the hood, presumably from one of the acorns falling from the live oak tree in our yard and hitting just right along a character line. Indicated 27 MPG on our last trip, 24 mpg indicated for the lifetime average, probably both overstated by a smidge in the computer. So far so good.

Quickie report...car has almost 6000 miles on it now, got its first oil change at 4900 miles. The Valvoline tech was not amused at all the fasteners for the belly pan. No issues aside from a door ding on the side, and a little dent on the hood, presumably from one of the acorns falling from the live oak tree in our yard and hitting just right along a character line. Indicated 27 MPG on our last trip, 24 mpg indicated for the lifetime average, probably both overstated by a smidge in the computer. So far so good.

I just traded (didn't want to, long irrelevant story) my 2013 Sorento EX in. Had just shy of 150k miles. Drove the **** thing all over the place, through all kinds of terrible weather (AWD FTW!) and had it from new for almost 8 years.

I adored mine, it had the 3.5L V6 which was super reliable for me, even if it wasn't great on gas. Onboard computer was always over optimisitic by at least 1.5mpg. Of course the speedometer was also off by about 2% at all times. (tracked via GPS)

Regardless I absolutely loved my Sorento, I bought something different simply because after 8 years it felt like a change was needed.

Enjoy your ride, I hope you have the same great experience with your Sorento as I did with mine.

Back