Bought a cheap 9mm pistol

There is some new "in home" or anywhere really , practice system I keep hearing advertised on radio. But before I can write the info down it is over. Sounds like a really good cost saver that does not use live ammo and keeps your scores and progress as you go along. I am going to try to catch the name again today. Interested in this because I hate to waste so much ammo on practice. I know it is not near the same as "real" shooting but is still a good skill building tool. Wife is even interested in trying it out.

There is some new "in home" or anywhere really , practice system I keep hearing advertised on radio. But before I can write the info down it is over. Sounds like a really good cost saver that does not use live ammo and keeps your scores and progress as you go along. I am going to try to catch the name again today. Interested in this because I hate to waste so much ammo on practice. I know it is not near the same as "real" shooting but is still a good skill building tool. Wife is even interested in trying it out.
Mantis-X is one. Attaches like a rail light.

Mantis-X is one. Attaches like a rail light.

Very handy and even fun!

Can attach to a rail, or to the bottom of a mag...comes with a small section of picatinny that you double-side-tape on if your pistol doesn't have a rail.

i finally had a chance to briefly try out my new brg9 at an indoor shooting range. 50 rounds of 115gr, 50 rounds of 147gr, fmj ball ammo. quick verdict: absolutely great! i plan to wring it out soon: i like to put at least 300+ rounds through a handgun before it “becomes mine.”
I certainly am not averse to buying a new firearm. But it does seem to me that if you are carrying it for personal protection there is a more reliable/test firearm. The Glock 19 has been around for 35 years. Its been the mainstay in elite forces throughout the worlde and 10's of thousands of police departments.

Yea I am a glock fanboy but I am the first to say even Glocks fail. But the odds of G19 failing when you need it most are like finding a needle in a haystack.

Now you ask (probably not) why I carry a lowly LCP. The answer is size. BUT the G19 and BRG9 are identical in size so how can you possibly rationalize carrying it instead of a G19?

I certainly am not averse to buying a new firearm. But it does seem to me that if you are carrying it for personal protection there is a more reliable/test firearm. The Glock 19 has been around for 35 years. Its been the mainstay in elite forces throughout the worlde and 10's of thousands of police departments.

Yea I am a glock fanboy but I am the first to say even Glocks fail. But the odds of G19 failing when you need it most are like finding a needle in a haystack.

Now you ask (probably not) why I carry a lowly LCP. The answer is size. BUT the G19 and BRG9 are identical in size so how can you possibly rationalize carrying it instead of a G19?
i have tried, and have no love for, the glock19 for several reasons, one being “glock knuckle.”

i didn’t state that the brg9 will be an everday carry piece so i have nothing to rationalize; i’m looking for a holster for it because all my handguns have one.

i researched the brg9 thoroughly, including dimensions listed on handgunhero.com. the 5.5” grip length of the brg9 matches that of the the glock17, with the g19 being 5”. this extra 0.5” is enough for my hand to avoid glock knuckle on the brg9 (and g17).

some folks use the g17 as a ccw, but it doesn’t work for me socially. my usual ccw is a keltec p32, or taurus or s&w 38sp j-frame revolver.

for $200 i’m highly satisfied with the brg9 as my one 9mm service pistol, no modifications needed. i didnt want to spend $500 for a g17 or the same $200 for a hipoint yeet cannon. kudos to skyactiv. cheers.

Last edited:
For the prices they've dropped to, the CZ P10c should be on everyone's short list. $300-ish for a reliable, G19-sized pistol, with arguably better ergonomics.

i got it because 9mm ammo is forever proving easier to find and cheaper to buy than 38sp
Sad but so true. I swear by revolvers. I carried a Model 66 as a State issued sidearm as a NJ cop for years. Colt Detective Special as an off duty gun. But as time marched on, 9mm offered more availability, lower price and more variety than .38.
So, I carry a Taurus Model 85 a .38 or a Taurus PT111 G2, a 9mm.
Both are every bit reliable as my 66 and Colt were...still have the Colt. I find it amusing when internet know-it-alls lecture folks on "why would you stake your life on " xx__xxx________?
As if they have any experience in such situations.

I worked in LE in the 70s, so wheel guns were the standard issue. Most members carried a Smith’ 19 but I carried a Smith’ model 28. On the personal side, I carried everything from a 1911, FN P7, Walther, and a few snubs’. Now that I’m old, I still carry a customized S&W Model 640. I worked with Bowen Classic Arms to apply the tweaks. I added a rear sight and a Partridge Front Sight, Black Powder Chamfer throughout, Full Moon Clips, Extended Firing Pin, and then it was off to Smith and Wesson for a high polish. To top it off, I added custom laser engraved grips with inlaid brass and silver. It came out pretty good. In fact, Smith and Wesson copied the features years later on their newer 640 Performance Center.
IMG_1236.jpeg

Red cactus-1.jpeg

Last edited:
Amen - you want to see how a $1,500 pistol performs?

read through this...

I found out years ago a $5000.00 pistol doesn't make me a $5000.00 shooter.

I learned a long time ago not to automatically connect low cost with bad performance, or poor quality when it comes to firearms. There are lots of good deals to be had. Especially with Turkish manufactured firearms. Some excellent buys are available in guns manufactured in the Philippines as well.

Right now many Turkish produced weapons represent some of the best buys in firearms on the current market...... There are also a lot of point blank ripoffs as well..... I mean really, $1,800.00 for a Marlin .30-30...... Just because Ruger bought them out? Insane.

And I had guys tell me I was nuts for paying $405.00 for a brand new JM stamped Marlin 39-A, back in the early 2000's.

I paid $325.00 for this Rock Island 9 MM 1911. And it has a trigger that is better than my Colt Gold Cup. (The grips were an additional $60.00).... And it runs flawlessly.

kP1pget.jpg

Still another Turkish bargain. Pretty hard to beat $170.00 bucks for a brand new 12 gauge pump. Complete with a Walnut stock. (Walnut grows like weeds in Turkey).

Amen - you want to see how a $1,500 pistol performs?

read through this...

How has that Dan Wesson been running for you since everything got sorted out? Still good?

How has that Dan Wesson been running for you since everything got sorted out? Still good?
It’s still good. It’s a great gun, now. Very nice trigger. Very accurate.

Not cheap to feed (10mm) but I stocked up a while back.

It’s been two months since I’ve been to the range, which seems like an eternity, but I’ve got a couple irons in the fire that have taken priority. Next time I go, I might just have to take the Razorback.

Not to derail the thread, but I had it at the range yesterday. Ran great.

100 rounds, super accurate, zero malfunctions. Everything you would expect from a high end pistol.

I learned a long time ago not to automatically connect low cost with bad performance, or poor quality when it comes to firearms. There are lots of good deals to be had. Especially with Turkish manufactured firearms. Some excellent buys are available in guns manufactured in the Philippines as well.
exactly. some people equate bling and shiny surfaces with quality... but fact of the matter is a 40 dollar Raven in your ear will put you down in the same manner as a Kimber.

My thoughts.......

Cheap and 9mm shouldn't be used in the same sentence

Glad to hear the OP has a Sig 365 although

Back