Bought a cheap 9mm pistol

UPDATE: I made a backstop and shot a 50 round box of Winchester white box 115 gr JHP and a 50 round box of CCI Blazer Brass 124 gr FMJ through it. The gun and ammo had zero issues.
yeah, I keep a lot of boxes of the Winchester (target rounds) for practices. Probably the very same ones you put thru your gun. 115gr also. I find they shoot well and do not dirty the gun much at all. Some brands practice rounds will have you need to do a whole lot of cleaning after shooting thru an automatic. That is a sweet looking gun & kit for the price.

Would you buy a cheap parachute ??
No.

But the low price on this gun doesn’t mean it’s poorly made. Turkish labor cost is a lot different than, say, Austrian, or US labor cost. Turkey makes a lot of good guns, and they have a long tradition of doing so.

So, would I buy a good parachute at a low price? Of course I would. And that’s the case here.

High price doesn’t mean it’s good. Plenty of reviews I’ve read talking about sending Kimbers back, Rugers back, S&W’s back to factory. I’m going to guess, some portion of those returns are from poor user usage (limp wristing, wrong ammo, whatever) but there‘s too many of those returns for me to believe that cost automatically means better. Anything mechanical can have its problems.

In some ways, a properly designed gun can be pretty cheap and reliable. Manufacturing is pretty good these days, tolerance control is pretty high now. Once you pick two of the classic “cheaper/better/faster” trifecta, you could have something cheap and reliable, just not accurate/fancy/gunsnob approved. It’s a bit like cars I guess, pick your criteria and go shopping from there.

High price doesn’t mean it’s good. Plenty of reviews I’ve read talking about sending Kimbers back, Rugers back, S&W’s back to factory. I’m going to guess, some portion of those returns are from poor user usage (limp wristing, wrong ammo, whatever) but there‘s too many of those returns for me to believe that cost automatically means better. Anything mechanical can have its problems.

In some ways, a properly designed gun can be pretty cheap and reliable. Manufacturing is pretty good these days, tolerance control is pretty high now. Once you pick two of the classic “cheaper/better/faster” trifecta, you could have something cheap and reliable, just not accurate/fancy/gunsnob approved. It’s a bit like cars I guess, pick your criteria and go shopping from there.
Amen - you want to see how a $1,500 pistol performs?

read through this...

Yea, I have a CZ75 that is likely going back for failure to fully return to battery, what a disappointment. Only pistol I have that does that.

Amen - you want to see how a $1,500 pistol performs?

read through this...

Late edit - the Razorback has an MSRP of $1,799 now.

While I applaud Dan Wesson for their willingness to help me under warranty, high price is no guarantee for out of the box performance.

All guns need to be fired and evaluated for reliability if they are to be relied on.

Very nice. You mentioned mishandling firearms. I was in a very large local hunting,fishing sportswear ( I won't mention the store name) a couple weeks ago and some guy had a rifle with a scope and pointed it DIRECTLY AT ME!!! I hid behind a large post in the store for a couple seconds and stepped out and he continued to point it at me for about 15 seconds and then put the gun back in the gun holder. The customer was with a store salesman who was adjusting something on the scope. I walked up to him and gave him a very dirty look. I wish I would have said something to him like " I hope they didn't teach you that in your gun safety course to point guns at people." What an IDIOT.
Yikes, zero excuse for a store employee to allow that.

Very nice. You mentioned mishandling firearms. I was in a very large local hunting,fishing sportswear ( I won't mention the store name) a couple weeks ago and some guy had a rifle with a scope and pointed it DIRECTLY AT ME!!! I hid behind a large post in the store for a couple seconds and stepped out and he continued to point it at me for about 15 seconds and then put the gun back in the gun holder. The customer was with a store salesman who was adjusting something on the scope. I walked up to him and gave him a very dirty look. I wish I would have said something to him like " I hope they didn't teach you that in your gun safety course to point guns at people." What an IDIOT.
Grab your phone and snap a pic/video of that idiot. Everyone has a boss. The boss should see this.

Easy for me to write this now. In the spur of the moment it is easily not thought about.

i finally had a chance to briefly try out my new brg9 at an indoor shooting range. 50 rounds of 115gr, 50 rounds of 147gr, fmj ball ammo. quick verdict: absolutely great! i plan to wring it out soon: i like to put at least 300+ rounds through a handgun before it “becomes mine.”

i’m mostly a revolver and rimfire shooter. the brg9 is my first, and likely to be my only, 9mm semiauto, service-style, pistol. i got it because 9mm ammo is forever proving easier to find and cheaper to buy than 38sp ammo.

the brg9 is easy in the hand, for a 9mm pistol. no “glock knuckle” irritations. its two included mags are surprisingly easy to load by hand (the included magloader is junk). trigger is crisp and sights are good enough. tame recoil, i’m no recoil junkie. 3” groups at 30’ was a happy result for this lousy shooter. no ftf, fte except as noted below.

my only complaint isn’t a knock against the brg9. many utube and written reviews stated that oem springfield xd mags are compatible…they in fact are incompatible. i separately bought three new xd mags when i ordered the brg9. when charging the brg9, either by hand-racking the slide or by shooting, the xd mags drop about 1/4” out of the mag-well, placing the pistol out of battery. no problems at all with the oem brg9 mags.

if you can still find a new brg9 on sale for $200ish, just grab it!

does anyone know, by first-hand experience, holsters that specifically fit the brg9? after being burned on springfield xd mags for it i don’t want to just get an xd holster.

thank you to skyactiv for putting me onto the brg9!

Last edited:
Bought a BRG9 Elite. $190 on sale at Vance Outdoors. It'll be awhile before I shoot it. I no longer go to indoor ranges because I've always seen a dummy mishandling a firearm in one. I'm in my new home on 3 acres and will build a backstop when spring comes.
The firearm comes with a cleaning kit, 2-16 round magazines, 2 addtional different sized backstraps and a magazine loader.

View attachment 136842
Probably better than a Taurus. If it's Czech, they make some good stuff. Turkey also.

Back