Bought a 223

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like a very nice rifle. .223 is finally coming down in my area, picked up a few boxes of Lake City (20 rnd 55gr, intended for my AR-15) for $9 or so recently. At .45 / round, and with mild recoil, your rifle will be easy and fun to shoot. Just enjoy it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Astro14
Looks like a very nice rifle. .223 is finally coming down in my area, picked up a few boxes of Lake City (20 rnd 55gr, intended for my AR-15) for $9 or so recently. At .45 / round, and with mild recoil, your rifle will be easy and fun to shoot. Just enjoy it.

Thanks Astro! Gun came with a box of Hornady varmint red tips and I picked up two 20 round boxes of federal FMJ's at $12/box at CT this afternoon
smile.gif
The rounds are about 1/2 the price of those for my .270, which I'm happy with.

Being a former FFL/CII dealer, I can say with absolute certainty that the gun cost well over $250 for the dealer. There's simply no debate. We did a lot of custom work on Savages, although I prefer Surgeon for barrels (preference).

Beautiful rifle, overk1ll!

Next purchase, it's time for you to join us in the big boy club w a 338 Lapua Mag
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: nleksan
Being a former FFL/CII dealer, I can say with absolute certainty that the gun cost well over $250 for the dealer. There's simply no debate. We did a lot of custom work on Savages, although I prefer Surgeon for barrels (preference).

Beautiful rifle, overk1ll!

Next purchase, it's time for you to join us in the big boy club w a 338 Lapua Mag
wink.gif

LOL! You sound like my buddy Jon
wink.gif
We were looking at a few .338's yesterday too. Savage has a few of them that were quite appealing.

Ultimately the short list of rifles I want to add to my collection (in no particular order) are:

1. Remington 700 5R Milspec .308
2. Something in .338 Lapua, probably a Savage
3. Barrett M99 .50 BMG

Thank you for your kind words and experience, both are appreciated
cheers3.gif

Barrett 50's are fun, but make for an expensive range day @ even dealer costs (over $5 a round for basic stuff, $10+ for fun stuff).

I have to give the nod to AI for their 338LM rifles tho. Not cheap, but my AWSM (when shot by a friend and former former Scout Sniper instructor, currently deployed w Task Force Delta) is capable of consistent man sized target hits @ 1400yds+! I am still trying to get the 1000yds down, but it's a difficult thing to do, especially since I hate math.

Not really a target round, but for me (only short 100 yard ranges in my area) a gun in 375 H&H is a blast too. When you pop one of those off, everyone at the range stops and looks.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

3. Barrett M99 .50 BMG

that would be about as wise a decision as that M5 of yours was...

Originally Posted By: dwcopple
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

3. Barrett M99 .50 BMG

that would be about as wise a decision as that M5 of yours was...

LMAO!!!

Guess that depends on your perspective. I think the M5 was a great decision, and has been pretty reliable
grin.gif
I enjoy it every time I turn the key. The only thing about the Barrett aside from it being impractical is the cost of pulling that trigger. But it wouldn't be something you took out regularly.

Originally Posted By: Garak
I think you did fine on the price, actually, Overkill. Similar setups were costing around that much 20 years ago up here.

Thanks Garak, I think I did too
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: Garak
I think you did fine on the price, actually, Overkill. Similar setups were costing around that much 20 years ago up here.
I have to agree with Garak as well.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: dwcopple
Originally Posted By: BISCUT

Are you loading your own?
.223 is dirt cheap. No point in reloading it. Shoot steel case for around $.25/per.

Definite budget fail as you stated. I'd have gone with the Savage Axis XP Combo in .223 for under $300. Unless you are sniping(long range hunting), there was no need to go $1000+ on a .223 IMHO.

Do you have a link to 1 MOA-capable 25 cent .223 ammo?

Looks like a nice rig. Don't listen to the haters. The scope retails for about $700 new, so quite a bit of the price is taken up by it. And the rifle itself is one of the top of the range offerings with heavy barrel, detachable magazine, threaded barrel, accustock, and accutrigger. New, those are about $750 USD.

So not a bad deal. Converting USD to metric dollars, that's a pretty good deal.

No way in [censored] a dealer paid $250 for that unless the seller was a junkie selling a stolen gun.

Last edited:
Bunch of idiots in this thread. The gun new is what, $900? The scope is a $700 scope. That is $1600 folks. This isn't one of those $249 Wal-Mart specials with a mounted Chinese scope.

Those that hate on Savage arms as a "cheap gun maker" must have never shot a Savage 99 lever gun. Those things are like Swiss watches. And they must not have read that when the US was looking for a semi auto pistol to replace its revolvers in military service the Savage design gave John Browning's Colt a run for its money.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Bunch of idiots in this thread. The gun new is what, $900? The scope is a $700 scope. That is $1600 folks. This isn't one of those $249 Wal-Mart specials with a mounted Chinese scope.

You gotta problem you want to discuss?

Last edited:
Quote:
Ultimately the short list of rifles I want to add to my collection (in no particular order) are:

1. Remington 700 5R Milspec .308

Keep looking for an FNH AR

2. Something in .338 Lapua, probably a Savage

can't go wrong there.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MolaKule

Originally Posted By: bubbatime

You gotta problem you want to discuss?

I got the impression he was probably referring to Falken's comments earlier in the thread
21.gif

Originally Posted By: Falken

If this was a lemon someone unloaded because it has pie plate MOA, you're stuck. Remember, an inaccurate .223 is worthless.

*snip*

Quote:
I'd say you broke even if it shoots like a dream. If you can't hit a coke can at 250 yards all day long from a bipod, you got a lemon. That is the minimum off-hand metric I'd go by.

If you can't do that with it, you know why it was a "slightly used Savage".

Kneeling I was hitting around 1" groups at 100 yards with it today with nothing more than cheap Winchester 45 grain JHP's and I was wearing a full snow suit. Conditions were far from optimal. The gun appears to be quite accurate and we murdered a number of hard drives with it, a D-Link switch....etc. Once I had it sighted I shot off a 3/4" sapling that was beside the target paper. It is extremely consistent, at least at the distances I was working with today. We didn't venture out into the back field because walking 1/2" Km in with several hundred pounds of stuff was quite tiring and that's a whole other trek well past the hunting camp.

Overall I would say the gun in fact DOES shoot like a dream. I love the Accutrigger, and I wish the .270 had it. The scope is fantastic as well with beautiful optics and fantastic viewing angle.

I'll get some longer range shots (and some target pics) once we are able to get back into the back field again. I'm really interested to see how it shoots from prone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back