Bought a 2011 Corolla, new.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: rjundi

The beauty really of driving pure highway miles with little stop and go. I did get 100k out of front pads on a 95 Civic driven 30k/year driven mainly 45miles in 45 mins no lights or traffic.

My wife with a Subaru Legacy turbo drives between 5MPH and 80MPH in heavy Boston area traffic that goes to a dead stop with no warning. Pads only last about 35k with her.

Lucky me! That's exactly where I drive... I love the city for everything but its traffic...

I purchased a 2010 Corolla for my son when he got his license. Same car as yours. We have had it for over a year now. Good reliable car. Great fuel economy.
Only 2 complaints: the cloth seats are the worst lint traps ever, everything sticks to them. And the dash rattles at the bottom of both A pillars in the winter until the defroster warms the area up some. Other than those two items, good car for $16k.

I test drove the new Corolla and Matrix and didn't like the numb electric power steering. The hydraulic one from the previous gen feels like sport car in comparison. Am I the only one complaining about it?

BTW, I have electric power steering in Prius and RAV4 and they feel good.

Electric power steering is here to stay because it gives you better mpg and less to go wrong (no hydraulics). It won't overheat in slalom conditions or whine when turned full lock and hopefully will last longer with little maintenance.

What I really want to know is how you go from looking at a Chrysler product to a Toyota. I wouldn't think you'd even lump them together. Historically Chrysler has been [censored] and Toyota's been good, although I think they're slipping as of late. When I was car shopping a year ago I didn't even consider Chrysler, and I was looking at Kia, Mazda, Honda, etc.; that's how little I think of Chrysler.

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
1ZZFE motor has a chain.

Yes most of my miles are highway. I doubt I'll ever have to replace the front pads. The rear shoes maybe around 300,000 miles.

The beauty of a light car with a manual.

That particular manual trans C-59 does not have a good reputation.

Originally Posted By: BGK
Electric power steering is here to stay because it is cheaper to produce and results in more profit for the manufacturer, generally compared to traditional hydraulic systems the feedback is worse, and the durability is questionable. .

Fixed it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 91344George
Originally Posted By: BGK
Electric power steering is here to stay because it is cheaper to produce and results in more profit for the manufacturer, generally compared to traditional hydraulic systems the feedback is worse, and the durability is questionable. .

Fixed it.

Bull. Electric power steering should be MORE reliable. There are fewer moving parts, fewer hoses, and no fluid to leak. It consists of the rack and pinion, an electric motor and a few gears, and a controller. there is far less to go wrong.

Feedback can be close to hydraulic. For example, the EPS in my cruze has much more road feel, while simultanously being smoother, and more direct than the Hydraulic unit in the equinox. I'd take the EPS in my cruze anyday. It's also much lower effort at low speeds, in parking lots and stuff. I actually love the electric steering. I like it better than the hydraulic that my focus had.

Sure, some EPS can be extremely numb and horrid (Corolla S and Cobalt 2.2L come to mind), but so can some hydraulic units. It's all dependent on how it's designed and tunes.

It also improves efficiency, no parasitic loss from the PS Pump. No fluid to change either.

Last edited:
I got mine in mid-July and have put 8,500 miles on it in 5 months. My mileage has varied 34-37 MPG which is slightly less than I expected. This is 90% highway with the cruise on 60, easy accelerations with 40 PSI in the tires.

In the trunk, I have a polymer tote to hold everything I'd usually have in a tool box.

I, too, plan to use the Toyota Care, and, like you, didn't feel comfortable with the 10,000 mile OCI. I dumped the factory fill at 1,500 and replaced with Pennzoil Yellow Botttle, 5W20 and ran that until 5,000. Changed with Pennzoil Ultra, 5W20 and will run that to 10,000 when Toyota will replace with their 0W20. This will coinside with our hardest part of winter, so it works out well. I did not go in at 5,000 for them to rotate the tires. I can do it at the house and not waste an hour of my time.

Generally, I have been satisfied with the car. I find it small when my growing family rides along, but for the commuter that I got it for, it does just what I want it too. The electric power steering in my opinion makes it very nimble to man-handle.

The factory mats are decent but I just upgraded to WeatherTechs which have an amazing fit and the rear mat extends almost 3/4 the way to the front of the front seat.

It is very easy to clean. I can hand wash it in less than 10 minutes. I've applied about (4) coats of NuFinish and my silver color doesn't show dirt. This car is really a very low maintenance car.

What was the final price out the door ?

I like the new Corolla and for the money its a better car than the Civic.

Did Toyota fix the power steering on some Corollas that were a problem in the past ?

Final price out the door was
Sticker: 18,560
OTD: 16,960

Plus I got 8,500 for my RSX
laugh.gif
So I came in at under 5 figures.

Originally Posted By: smc733
I test drove a 2011 Corolla LE with the floor mat package, fully loaded with the electronics, etc, and I LOVED it.
$18,500 sticker? Does it have Cruise? My 2011 Civic Value Package was almost exactly the same price, it sadly does not
frown.gif
I will never make that mistake again.

Originally Posted By: dwcopple
Originally Posted By: smc733
I test drove a 2011 Corolla LE with the floor mat package, fully loaded with the electronics, etc, and I LOVED it.
$18,500 sticker? Does it have Cruise? My 2011 Civic Value Package was almost exactly the same price, it sadly does not
frown.gif
I will never make that mistake again.

Yes, cruise, ESM/TC/EBS/ABS, etc... Power everything (except seats).

hmmm, Honda should take note. Mine is a lease though. Offer was too good to pass up. $0 down 35 payments of $190 with first month free (36 month lease.)

I mean, I make frequent large trips (350 miles) a few times a year, so cruise is VERY important for those trips. Otherwise, I never really touch it, and if the trips weren't so frequent, I probably wouldn't use it.

I will admit to using cruise control daily. I have a 10 mile ride on a local 55-mph expressway and as soon as I merge into traffic, I set the cruise on 58 and hang out in the right lane. Speeds in the right lane are usually sub-60 and in the left lane, usually 65-75. It's morning entertainment to watch the jockeys in the left lane use all their brain power to just get in front of that ONE guy ahead of them. And then the next guy. And then the next guy.

I do exactly the same think Hokiefyd...

Sit in the right or second to right (4 lane) lane and cruise at around the speed limit (be it 55 or 65), and watch the morons stress themselves out passing every other car, tailgate, then do it again. I have a nice relaxing ride that way.

I also love how my Toyota cruise works, much better than my Hondas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back