Bought a 2007 Trailblazer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I REFUSE to spend over $10,000 on a car/truck/suv. It is getting very, very difficult to find a quality used 4x4 for that price. A local Chevrolet dealer in Fremont, MI. had a nice, clean, no rust '07 Trailblazer LS with 73,000 miles on it and we struck a deal. Well below my threshold too, which made me quite happy. I don't believe they are as well built as a Tahoe/Suburban, but somewhat better than an Explorer or Grand Cherokee of the same vintage. Liking it so far. The Carfax shows the fuel pump/fuel gauge issue has already been addressed along with some other minor repairs. It was a 1 owner and well maintained by this same dealership. I fully expect to perform some repairs too. These vehicle's are good, but not exactly bullet proof. As a comparison, another dealer in the same town had a 2008 Tahoe LTZ with 152,000 miles and priced at $16,800. I have serviced the 4L60E transmission and was pleased with what I saw, or didn't see inside the transmission pan. It is important to drop all the fluids on a used vehicle of this age and mileage. We will drive it 4-5 years and then re-evaluate things.

Is that the one with the straight 6?

Look out for the dreaded chain stretch/cam phaser failure.

OK vehicles, short of the 6 big holes in the gas tank. 16-18 mpg. Takes 7 quarts of oil for a change. Filter has no ADBV. AC vents for rear air up in the headliner will chirp and squeak constantly. Mine had can bus problems as well, wiring behind the drivers seat, in the footwell. My experience was not the greatest, but I don't think my experience represents the general consensus. Hopefully yours is a good one.

I have an 07 also and it's been the most reliable vehicle I've owned. Bought it with 100k miles...not sure what was replaced up until then but it now has 230k and I've only had to replace the tie rods. Good Luck with yours.

Yup the last 3 or so year models where the best ones.

Seeing as the fuel gauge issue was fixed the only thing to look for in the later year models is the Steering Wheel Position Sensor, and the Variable Valve Solenoid.

Pretty common issues on these.

Also, the center console especially lid is a big POS. lol

Change the oil in the front diff and keep an eye on the level, as the seals like to leak.

In addition to things already mentioned, make sure the window switch recall and gas tank recall are done if applicable to your VIN. It sounds like you're getting it from a dealer, so they have probably been done.

I like the GMT360 platform and think it was a good final shot at a body on frame midsize SUV for the masses, and the SS was pretty cool. It's not something you can lift and modify like a Tahoe or Blazer though. The axle through the oil pan and such pretty much limits it to stock form. Sounds like that will be just fine for what you bought it for though.

Enjoy your new ride!

I have had mine just shy of 10 years and still love it. It has had its issues: Clean the throttle body every few years, completely remove it and clean the front and back and then reset the computer. Change the transfer case oil every 50,000 miles if it is an autotrak unit. My wheel bearings went at 100,000 miles. The water pump, starter, idler pullies, tie rod ends, driver side front diff seal and shocks all were replaced at varying mileage. Motor mounts are next. I rebuilt and regreased the front axle disconnect as well for preventative maintenance.

She still rides great, has some decent power, room and capability. It is a touch low on ground clearance when I bomb off road but a good set of tires and G80 auto locker make for some fun. The turning radius and low hood line make it great in parking lots.

This is still my daily driver and gets about 22mpg when cruising on the highway with the family in it. It sees lots of cold weather driving, salt and lots of gravel roads.

Enjoy!

Originally Posted By: dwcopple
That is a $6K vehicle tops. I hope they didn't take you too badly. Stealers...

NADA.com says $9800, KBB.com says $6900 trade in for the miles and the way it is equipped. Where did you get your information from? Link a few examples if you could please. Thank you all for your comments and have a nice weekend!

Originally Posted By: HM12460
Originally Posted By: dwcopple
That is a $6K vehicle tops. I hope they didn't take you too badly. Stealers...

NADA.com says $9800, KBB.com says $6900 trade in for the miles and the way it is equipped. Where did you get your information from? Link a few examples if you could please. Thank you all for your comments and have a nice weekend!

Okay $7k. But I am quite a negotiator and could probably have got it for $6500 OTD.

My parents have a 2003 Traiblazer EXT with the inline 6. The issues they've had with it is front end work, a couple of wheel bearings, issues with the back passenger side door (not wanting to close properly) and the AC recently stopped working. The truck has only 101k miles on it. I just changed the spark plugs on it a few months ago for the first time.

I will say that they are very nice engines. My parents truck has been fed conventional Wolf's Head 5w30 since new at ~5k mile intervals but more recently bulk Havoline.

Last edited:
That's a good plan sticking at $10K or less. I like Trailblazers/GM T360s. We had a 2005 LS 4x4. I bought it used in 2006, with 32K miles on it for $16K. We had it a few years.

Like said, I would think the majority of the issues would be ironed out on it by 2007. The stupid electro-mechanical cooling fan clutch was an issue on them. The air injection system (for emissions) was another. Body panels are crazy flimsy as is a lot of the plastic interior. The good thing is they drive and ride excellent. They are big, versatile, get 20mpg and are pretty cheap to buy used! Love the Atlas inline 6 and the 4L60E trans as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back