Bosch Premium Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are two lines of the bosch premium filters as far as i can tell. One with the filtech media and one without.

Some were saying that there is/was a problem with the purolator media tearing, and bosch is made by purolator and the bosch premium filter is a purolator clone.

Im wondering if the filtech media has ever had issues with tearing. I have lots of the bosch filters with the filtech media and im not sure i want to use them if they would be considered "high risk" for tearing.

Im thinking it was the other media but I wanted to get some info from someone who would know better than me.

thanks

'Filtech' is just a buzzword. Bosch Premiums have the same high-efficiency media as Purolator PureOnes. So if PureOnes can tear, the Premiums can also.

Personally, I will continue to use Purolator products and not worry about it.

I don't know what filter number you're using, but the one 3323 that I ran on our Ody did tear at two ends around the crimped seam.

Here's my thread about it:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...ars#Post3374347

I see you responded in another Bosch thread that you have 3330 and 3323 filters. I have no problem running the second one I bought, so don't worry too much. Unless your engine is a sludged up mess, it shouldn't be a problem.

Last edited:
You know, the "filtech" term originated when AC/Delco was still making the Bosch oil filters.

"Filtech" media was also used in the AC/Delco Gold filters that I remember purchasing in 2006-2007 timeframe for my old C6 Corvette.

rockauto used to have a different part number than the 3323. it was a 5 digit number and the anti drainback was made out of different material. I assumed it was a different media too.

the pricing was also a little cheaper. I figured those might be the ones tearing, that and the fact that the honda filters with filtech have a great reputation.

My engines are well taken care of. oil always looks great coming out. I don't think sludge is a problem. still makes me a little nervous using them.

I may use what i have and switch to wix after. Thats gonna raise my oil change from $13 to $14 though lol.

They have four types on their site, WS, Premium, long life, and distance plus. I ordered some parts and got a WS filter cheap. It looks beautiful on the outside, official looking in a yellow Bosch box. Then I learned it is their least expensive oil filter. All four have different media. The long life has a mesh backing, while the highest, distance plus doesn't. I don't see how Purolator can be assumed to be "the same." Probably not the same.
http://www.boschautoparts.com/Filters/Pages/Filters.aspx

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
You know, the "filtech" term originated when AC/Delco was still making the Bosch oil filters.

"Filtech" media was also used in the AC/Delco Gold filters that I remember purchasing in 2006-2007 timeframe for my old C6 Corvette.

That, and some Japanese cars had OEM filters with "Filtech" written on them.

i just checked on rockauto. they have the other part number i was talking about listed again. its for the 2010 ford transit connect not the honda, my mistake.

part number is 72161. the other part number with filtech is 3330. Both say premium.

On the rockauto website under info, it lists both filters as having filtech. But i remember ordering the 72161 and it did not have filtech written on the box or the filter, the 3330 did.

Also the anti-drainback valve on the 72161 was black instead of the reddish color. I assumed it was nitrile instead of silicone. Not listing the filtech along with the different valve matierial and being a little cheaper, I assumed this had a different media.

I guess my question is, which if any is going to be less tear prone?

Last edited:
checked the bosch website, 72161 must be an old part number, its not listed. amazon and sears do have it listed but it is unavailable.

i may call bosch to inquire.

Originally Posted By: lockguy
checked the bosch website, 72161 must be an old part number, its not listed. amazon and sears do have it listed but it is unavailable.

i may call bosch to inquire.

Using the Bosch look up linked below the 3330 is the correct number. In the WS or workshop filter which is equivalent to a Puro Classic, 72161WS is the number. So, unlike the BP with silicone adbv, the WS has a nitrile adbv.

As for the 'filtec' media name, SiverC6 brings up an interesting point. Prior to 2006 before Bosch acquired Puro with M&H, Bosch filters were made by Champ which also makes ACDelco. When they moved to Puro they kept the media name the same, but best information on this board for years now (including river_rat's testing) is the P1 and BP are virtually the same. I believe on the latest/newest silver colored BP boxes, it no longer says filtec media. And I see no mention of it on the website either.

http://www.boschautoparts.com/vehiclepartfinder/pages/vehiclepartfinder.aspx

on the 72161 filters that i had before, they looked exactly like the 3330, it still said premium but didnt say filtech. the pic of the 72161ws on the website, the lettering is different.

it does seem like the ws filter is the same as the old 72161 premium tho. I will definitly call them to see if there is any difference in the filter media.

I could care less about the adbv, the filter on the transit is completely vertical, it wouldn't lose oil anyway.

...it does seem like the ws filter is the same as the old 72161 premium tho. I will definitly call them to see if there is any difference in the filter media....

Call if you choose, however the Bosch website linked below makes it clear the WS filter is not as efficient as the the BP. It is 97.5@20um vs 99@20um based on their test filter. 97.5 is the same as the Puro Classic, as noted in my previous post. So safe to say the media in the current WS filter is not the same as the BP.

http://www.boschautoparts.com/Filters/Pages/WorkshopOilFilters.aspx#overview

i did call bosch and you are correct. the guy told me that the old 72161 premium is indeed the same filter as the 72161ws and has the paper media. I guess it is the same as the purolator classic.

the 3330 premium uses synthetic media in his words and i guess thats the same as the pure one as you said.

I hear people talk about purolators media tearing. which filter is doing that, p1 or classic or is it both?

I hear people talk about purolators media tearing. which filter is doing that, p1 or classic or is it both?

Both

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back