Bosch Oil Filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've cut apart 2 Bosch filters (the ones that are apparently identical to the 98% efficient blue PureONE's) and they looked to be very good filters.

98% efficient when new. Did you compare how much media they had compared to other brands? Any way to tell if a filter really has higher quality media? I think another fine old name has been cheapened.

I've only cut apart 2 brands of filter for this car; Tokyo Roki and Bosch. I think they had fairly similar amounts of media, but I didn't actually cut it out of the endcaps and measure. The media in both filters took some effort to tear with my fingers.

Got two of the AZ specials, ten qts 0w-40 M1 and two Bosch filters. One Bosch filter 3330 says 98% efficiency on the box, the other 3311 says 99.9%. They look the same except different anti drain valves, and the 3311 has a spiral center tube. I think they are pure one clones, in spite of the differing box descriptions. The 3311 has the inlet round holes intead of the Purolator usual oval holes. If they were a little cheaper sold alone, I would use them.

Bosch & Purolator are owned by the same company and the filters are basically the same.

Bosch and Mann-Hummel purchased Purolator. They each had a 50% share of Purolator. Last year Bosch sold their shares to Mann. Bosch filters are still made by Purolator despite not having any ownership in the company.

That's what I thought. Now, if Bosch (and Motorcraft) shops around another filter manufacturer, maybe the Purolator tear issue might get some attention.
wink.gif

All I've been using the last few years are those black Bosch filters and I like them.

Originally Posted By: Cooper
Originally Posted By: Patman
I thought Bosch filters were made by Champion Labs? Or is just the Bosch Premium?

From what I understand, Bosch and Champion parted ways not to long ago, and Purolator and Bosch went into a joint venture.

Bosch and Mann-Hummel had a 50%/50% joint venture producing Purolator Filters. In 2013 Mann-Hummel acquired 100% of Purolator Filters. Bosch filters sold in USA are currently produced by Purolator.

Bosch seemed to divest itself of several ventures in 2013.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GMBoy
All I've been using the last few years are those black Bosch filters and I like them.

I have also been using the black Bosch "WS" filters and like them.

However, it has been pointed out in this forum that these are Purolator Classic filters.

I checked my Bosch filters against the Purolator Classics, and they are the same filters, right down to the numbers stamped in the base plate.

Now, I shop for filters based on price, between Bosch "WS", Mann and Purolator Classics.

the purolator/bosch filters that were having tear issues, were those the ones with the filtech media?

As far as i can tell, there are two lines of bosch premium filters, one with and one without filtech media. not sure what the other has.

I have about 10-15 on my shelf of the 3330 and 3323 filters with the filtech media. wondering if i should be concerned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back