Bosch oil filter for hyundai accent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always use oem filters because some aftermarket filters will cause engine noises(true story)
I ran out of oem filters.. So I snagged a bosch oil filter from o'rielly www.oreillyauto.com

Seemed well made... well fast forward 2 weeks I had the accent up on ramps for a transmission drain and fill...

The filter was weeping from the gasket.. about 2 drops a min... had a nice mess to clean up.

replaced with an oem filter. I might expect the gasket to weep on a 3$ filter but not this $8 bosch filter.. oh well I guess statistically there will be defects.

In other news the car was at hyundai for a recall.. and for some reason someone put a wrench on the transmission drain plug and overtightened it... and rounded the end of the plug.. it was also leaking.. because they overtightened it so far it sucked in the crush washer.

Now if you arent familiar with hyundai crush washers they are hard aluminum? non-crushing type. The one on the transmission plug was totally destroyed.

Now why would hyundai dealer tighten the drainplug?? or even touch it.

I'm assuming this is a pre-RB model Accent ( 2011 or prior ) because I can see them rounding the drain bolt on the transmission but not sucking in the crush washer. I believe the spec for the RB models is 52 lb/ft. of torque for my 2013 manual and it seems they would really have to work it to tweak the washer. The transmission washers for the 17mm plugs are twice as big as the oil plug washers on mine.

I would imagine the dealer is sniffing around for anything that matches the maintenance schedule and your mileage if it wasn't related to the recall. I think Hyundai has had 60K mile ATF change and 75K mile MTF change recommendations with the Accent for some time. But yeah...why did they round the bolt or get involved with this at all unless it looked like it was leaking and Robocop just got back from break??

Its a 2010. It was in for 5- hazard switches the first year (4 way blinker lights)
It was used in paper delivery for 9 months.

It also got both front wheel bearings at about 6000? miles.

A couple of years ago all the front exhaust hangers were broke.. rusted welds..

They couldnt order the right pipe/parts for it.. 3 tries.. and they ended up taking it to a muffler shop.to weld the hangers.

But its been pretty reliable.

I too thought the washer was bigger but the one they show is the same size as the oil drain crush washer. I'm wondering if they swapped it out.. as I remember a bigger one.. and I dont replace those crush washers.. because they are the non-crushing kind.

I replaced the oil drain crush washer after 5 years.

The smart charging system is infuriating.. It likes to keep the battery at 12.3volts.. to save .1mpg ??

Whatever thats definitely a live with it problem.

I still have to get under it again in a few days to check but it seemed to be not leaking. Plan B is aftermarket drain plug with integrated rubber gasket/seal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back