Bosch D+ 3410, 3,414 miles C&P

Bosch D+ D3410 off my 2002 F150, 3,414 miles/13 month interval. Lots of short trips with a rare highway trip thrown in here and there.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Put on a Mobil 1 M1-210A filter this time and added 1 qt QSUD 0w-20 and 5 qts PP 0w-20.

[Linked Image]

With the short tripping this truck does, I plan on a ~3,000 mile interval again.
I keep debated never doing another oil change on the truck since I use a qt of oil every 1,200-1,500 miles.
I have a Fram Ultra on my shelf, maybe next year I will put that one on and just do a 4 year run without changing the oil or filter, just keep adding oil.

I have to ask, why 0W20 in Texas? Especially when it burns oil and you have 10W30 in the other F150. If you haven't already, there's an updated PCV for the 4.6/5.4 not sure if it goes all the way back to the 2002 or not, but my friend installed the updated PCV in his 2004 4.6 F150, no other changes, took his consumption from a quart every 700 miles to a quart every 3,000-4,000 miles. The updated PCV for his truck was $10 bucks and it paid for itself in the first OCI after he installed it. IIRC the updated PCV was blue, he bought the genuine Ford one.

Good job here man...

Yeah the perpetual oil change practice
lol.gif

It truly has merit... My day took a Lincoln Town car to 300,000 + miles doing just that... He got the car with 180,000 miles... And did the add a quart every 1 thousand miles... For years and years... So I think you would be right to do that here.

Originally Posted by FlyNavyP3
I have to ask, why 0W20 in Texas? Especially when it burns oil and you have 10W30 in the other F150. If you haven't already, there's an updated PCV for the 4.6/5.4 not sure if it goes all the way back to the 2002 or not, but my friend installed the updated PCV in his 2004 4.6 F150, no other changes, took his consumption from a quart every 700 miles to a quart every 3,000-4,000 miles. The updated PCV for his truck was $10 bucks and it paid for itself in the first OCI after he installed it. IIRC the updated PCV was blue, he bought the genuine Ford one.

I run 0w-20 because it works, and there are knows issues with thicker oils and the hydraulic timing chain actuators. Plus I have a ton of it.
I have run 5w-30 a few times in the past with no change in oil consumption.
The other F150 is shedding metal and ready to explode, so I just use whatever (0w-20, 5w-20, mix of 5w-20 and 5w-30, 10w-30). Has nothing to do with temps.

I replaced the PCV valve a few years ago with no change, but is was a black Motorcraft one (EV233 I believe), it looked identical to the one I pulled out (which tested good).

Originally Posted by bbhero
Yeah the perpetual oil change practice
lol.gif

It truly has merit... My day took a Lincoln Town car to 300,000 + miles doing just that... He got the car with 180,000 miles... And did the add a quart every 1 thousand miles... For years and years... So I think you would be right to do that here.

Like I said, I have an Ultra on the shelf, so next time may be the last time I change oil on it.
Problem is I like cutting open filters and looking in them. It was a long 13 months waiting for this one. We will see.

Nice C&P !
Looks like that filter caught a lot of Carbon/Debris......What Oil were you running and were you running any sort of additive?
Thanks.

Originally Posted by incognito_2u
Nice C&P !
Looks like that filter caught a lot of Carbon/Debris......What Oil were you running and were you running any sort of additive?
Thanks.

I was running some Magnatec 5w-20, no additives. Most every filter I have cut open for this truck has had a little bit of carbon in the pleats.
Here is a run of about 4000 miles:
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by pbm
I have several of the 3422 sized Bosch D+ filters that I bought at the WM 'Clearance' to use in my Ford Escape.
The media doesn't look very different from regular Bosch filters.
It does feel different though, seems a little tougher and thicker than regular Bosch.
They are the only Purolator made filter I would run, but retail they are way to expensive for what they are. The $3-5 I paid for the ones I have used are a good price IMO.

Originally Posted by pbm
I have several of the 3422 sized Bosch D+ filters that I bought at the WM 'Clearance' to use in my Ford Escape.
The media doesn't look very different from regular Bosch filters.
It does feel different though, seems a little tougher and thicker than regular Bosch.
They are the only Purolator made filter I would run, but retail they are way to expensive for what they are. The $3-5 I paid for the ones I have used are a good price IMO.
[/quote]

I agree with you BP....for $3 each the D+'s are a no-brainer...but at full price I'd pass.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by blupupher
I was running some Magnatec 5w-20, no additives. Most every filter I have cut open for this truck has had a little bit of carbon in the pleats.
Here is a run of about 4000 miles:
[Linked Image]

Lots of short trips and/or it's running rich. I've seen lots more carbon particles in my filters ran over the cold winter months, but not much if any in the warmer summer months.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

Lots of short trips and/or it's running rich. I've seen lots more carbon particles in my filters ran over the cold winter months, but not much if any in the warmer summer months.

Short trips.
I ride my motorcycle most days to work, only take the truck if it is raining. 3 mile trip each way.
I run occasional local errands as well, mostly under 5 miles.
This used to be our travel vehicle and my mom lived 50 miles away with 2-3 visits a month.
Now my wife's Santa Fe is the family travel vehicle and mom moved 1 mile away.
I can't think of the last time I drove it more than 30 miles at one time.
Hence the only 3400 miles in 13 months.

Originally Posted by blupupher

With the short tripping this truck does, I plan on a ~3,000 mile interval again.
I keep debated never doing another oil change on the truck since I use a qt of oil every 1,200-1,500 miles.
I have a Fram Ultra on my shelf, maybe next year I will put that one on and just do a 4 year run without changing the oil or filter, just keep adding oil.

With that much oil consumption, I would install the Fram Ultra and never ever ever ever change the oil or filter again.

Thanks for the cut and paste - plus saving me time to inspect a Bosch Distance+ at the store. Small eyelids down that center tube is a no-go for me.

Too bad! Efficiency is real good. So I'll run over to Advance Auto and look down the tube of the 99/20 Carquest Premium Red. Larger round holes down the tube and I'll buy my first Purolator-made in probably 10 years.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Thanks for saving me time to inspect a Bosch Distance+ at the store. Small eyelids down that tube is a no-go for mje.

Efficiency is real good. So I'll run over to Advance Auto and look down the tube of the 99/20 Carquest Premium Red. Larger round holes down the tube and I'll buy one.

Even though the photos aren't too good of the center tube, I can tell they are plenty opened up in the 4th photo when zooming in.

[Linked Image]

Nah - sorry! I won't buy them. Seen too many not opened enough. Inconsistency kills the design with me.
I'm driving Korean engines and that's my basis for turning my nose up at these.
Big round holes or 98/25-30 Ecores,,,,, that's all I'll use right now.

I'm hoping the Carquest Reds put a smile on my face. I want the best big hole efficiency or best Ecore efficiency I can find. I'll look at the new Mobil-1 EP filters too.

Last edited:
Back