Bosch 3300 vs. Purolator PL10241

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chicago, Illinois - In a van down by the river!
I ran out of Pure Ones for my 2005 Sienna and got a Bosch Filter with the oil change special at AutoZone. With all the buzz of PureONE having rips, I figured I'd give the Bosch a try. Weird part was, the Bosch 3300 was significantly smaller than the PL10241!!?! I run Quaker State Full Synthetic so I was hoping to get 7500 miles out of the Bosch 3300. Anyone have experience with a Bosch vs. the PureONE?

The bosch filters from AZ are virtually identical to P1 and made by same company unless something has changed. I've used 2, no tears, and used many P1s with only 1 having tiny tear at 1 end near the seem. It was recently though with a very new filter, summer date code.

Last edited:
I tried the Bosch once on my 98 Sienna. I never had any issues with it. I actually went oversized with the Bosch (filter size that matched a wix code 1516).

I should have cut it open, but that was before I was BITOG Obsessed.

Regards, JC.

You're supposed to be using the 3330
48.gif

The 3330 is identical to the PL10241 but without the textured paint.

Originally Posted By: Shagger
Doh! Yeah, the filter for the 2005 Sienna IS the 3330! Thanks for the heads up - I checked it, but must be getting dyslexia in my old age! Gawdamn it, the guy at Autozone gave me the wrong filter! sigh... I should have known.
mad.gif
This brings us to my favorite movie quote of all time!

Dignam: This is unbelievable. Who put the f*ckin' cameras in this place?
Police Camera Tech: Who the f*ck are you?
Dignam: I'm the guy who does his job. You must be the other guy.

I love that movie quote
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Shagger
Now for the $64 question - Can I swap out the filter without draining the oil? Or will it all just run down the front of the engine?

Where is the oil filter mounted on your engine? The 1MZ in my ES300 is installed from the top, so changing out the filter shouldn't be a problem. I believe they still used the MZ-series engines in 2005, so the filter is probably in the same place, on the front of the engine, pointing slightly upward.

Therefore, you shouldn't drip too much oil.

And for reference,
Bosch 3300 = PL14612 (the wrong filter OP used)
Bosch 3330 = PL10241 (correct filter)
And as stated earlier, the Bosch is exactly the same as the corresponding P1.

And of course, the 3330 will/should be the exact same size as the PL10241 because it is the exact same filter as the PL10241. Therefore, the 3330 is just as good/bad as the PL10241.

Yeah, I'm familiar with the 3300/14610, and boy is that thing TINY!!!!!

Originally Posted By: tommygunn

Yeah, I'm familiar with the 3300/14610, and boy is that thing TINY!!!!!

Actually, the Bosch 3323 is the same size as the Purolator 14610.

The Bosch 3300 is the size of the Purolator 14612 - which is smaller than the 14610.

Yeah, I'll keep the mileage to a minimum and go get a filter tomorrow to replace it. I can't find my receipt so of course I don't have a leg to stand on with the store. sigh...

The filter placement is at the front of the engine and tilted maybe a slight downward angle. On my ramps its sort of level. I'll just have to be quick about it and hope for the best!

Big thanks to everyone for chiming in, I'd have been blissfully unaware of the screw up, until maybe the damage was done! phew!

^^^ You probably won't lose much oil since the filter is probably located above the oil level in the sump. You'll lose what's in the filter plus some drain out of the oil galleries in the oiling system above the filter. Be sure to top off the oil level after installing the new filter.

The only Bosch id recommend is the D+. Walmart carries them. If you have to buy your oil from AZ, Id only recommend the M1 filter.

There's much better bang for your buck though if you shop elsewhere IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back