Borates

Status
Not open for further replies.

MolaKule

Staff member
ZDDP and MoDTC are generally activated by the higher temperatures found in lubricants, or by the higher pressures found in high load contact areas, which can raise temps to the activation temperature.

Muli-functional Borate compounds are excellent cold-temp anti-wear agents, and can serve two other functions.

What other functions can a borate compound serve in lubricants?

Guidelines for the Question of the Day:

1. No Piston Cup Lapel Pin will be awarded to the same person within 14 days of a previous award.

2. Please respond with a complete sentence.

3. Please do not post links. If a question arises as to the need for clarification, then sources and links may be requested.

4. Please, no off topic posts.

Functional names for additives are listed here:

Antifoamant or foam inhibitor

Antioxidant or oxidation inhibitor

Anti-Wear

Extreme Pressure Additive

Demulsifier

Detergent

Dispersant

Emulsifier

Friction Modifier

Metal Deactivator

Oxidation Inhibitor

Rust Inhibitor

Pour Point Depressant

Seal Conditioner

Surfactants

Soot Control or Soot Inhibitor

Tackifiers

Last edited:
I gotta take a stab at this one.

1. Borates may be found in passivation agents used to inhibit susceptibility to corrosion in ferrous materials.
2. Borates are used in buffer compounds to maintain a desired range of acidity/alkalinity, which also may mitigate corrosion rates.
3. Borate compounds may also be present in detergents.

Hint.

The question posed is:

Quote:
What other functions can a borate compound serve in lubricants?

I.E., we know it's multi-functional, so what other functional names, from the list provided, would apply?

Originally Posted By: Clevy
I think borates help tbn retention and either act as a friction modifier or anti-wear.

Just guessing.

Quote:
Muli-functional Borate compounds are excellent cold-temp anti-wear agents, and can serve two other functions.

You're getting closer.

Borates can also be used as an Antioxident for Rust inhibition & oxidation inhibition to stop corrosion.

Last edited:
wacky_20_mule_team.jpg

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Originally Posted By: Clevy
I think borates help tbn retention and either act as a friction modifier or anti-wear.

Just guessing.

Quote:

You're getting closer.

Ok. I missed that part.

Ok then. Tbn retention and detergent/dispersant.

I'm pretty sure about the tbn part because through my communications with liqui-moly I learned that their motor oil saver/mos2 and ceratec all contain boron and they informed me that adding them will increase the time between changes.

Which leaves it's second function.

And thanks molekule for these little quizzes. I do learn much from them,and you.

There are a few guys here who make this site worthwhile coming to because of the knowledge they share and you are one of them.
Shannow ,Doug Hillary,dnewton,overkill,garak,trav,Shannow,440magnum,fx4 and of course dermapaint and mystic are why I come to this site.(if I've forgotten anyone I'm sorry,which I'm sure I have)These guys are what makes this site great and I'm glad they are here sharing their experiences.

There are more but I'm just drawing a blank. I apologize if I missed ya and I'll be sure to add whomever I've forgotten.

So back to boron. Tbn retention and extreme pressure additive?

Am I getting closer.

Depending on the synthesis and subsequent functionalization, borates (boron compounds) can be considered as Anti-Wear Additives, extreme pressure additives (EP), friction modifiers, and oxidation inhibitors, and rust inhibitors, and pH modifiers to control acidity.

Oxidation inhibitors, rust inhibitors, and alkilinity agents would fall under the classification of "Surfactants."

So the two additional functions would be Friction Modifcation and Surfactant.

Except for Warstuds post which almost made me lose my breakfast
shocked2.gif
, we'll bestow multiple Piston Cup Lapel Pin awards this time to Clevy, R80RS, SLATRON, and HardbodyLoyalist.

happy2.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back