Boeshield T9 or Fluid Film

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wondering if anybody has experience with Boeshield T9 as in underbody rust protectant? It says it is made from a wax like Carnuba so it "sets up". I have not winter tested Fluid Film yet but from testing on a steel bar it is effective but washes off. So if the Carnuba actually "sets up", that would make Boeshield about perfect.

I want something that will not destroy rubber suspension mounts on my '13 Toyotas (which I have no idea how much natural is in shuch mounts.

I can't say for sure of the Amsoil Heavy Duty Metal Protector or Corrosion-X are petroleum free and as safe for rubber and other bushings.

I have no experience with Boeshield T9 (never heard of it).

I have used Fluid Film and like it a lot.
It's something that needs to be applied ever year.
Not all of it washes off every year though.
The good thing about Fluid Film is that it 'creeps' into joints and other areas.

You are correct to be concerned about the effects on rubber components.
Fluid Film is safe/ok for synthetic rubber.
It's also non-conductive and safe for wiring & plugs.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SumpChump
Wondering if anybody has experience with Boeshield T9 as in underbody rust protectant? It says it is made from a wax like Carnuba so it "sets up". I have not winter tested Fluid Film yet but from testing on a steel bar it is effective but washes off. So if the Carnuba actually "sets up", that would make Boeshield about perfect.

I want something that will not destroy rubber suspension mounts on my '13 Toyotas (which I have no idea how much natural is in shuch mounts.

I can't say for sure of the Amsoil Heavy Duty Metal Protector or Corrosion-X are petroleum free and as safe for rubber and other bushings.

Go for Fluid Film or CarWell. Both are designed for what you want. I do not believe Boeshield is designed to take the abuses of winter weather splashing on it.

boeshield is more of a lube that dries to a protective coating.

its also extremely expensive.

I would not use it for your purpose..

I do like to hit nuts and bolts on the snowblower with it..

skidplate fasteners ,other fasteners it works great.

I have used amsoil HDMP, fluid film and Corrosion X HD in the past. None of them hurt any rubber parts or caused any problems. Amsoil HDMP dries to a waxy finish that smells like crayons. Corrosion X HD is a super thick, greasy product that lasts a long time but is expensive. Fluid film is the thinnest product but it is also the least expensive and has the best capillary action. After spaying fluid film inside my truck bed tie down area, the fluid film creeped its way out of my tail light holes, almost 6 feet away!

I made a very long post about this somewhere else on BITOG. Long story short, my prefered undercoat spray is fluid film. I apply it every November a few weeks before the snow starts and my vehicles are do not have any new rust since I started doing it.

I would not use or recommend Boeshield T9 for undercoating.

I have used both Fluid Film and Boeshield T9 quite a bit over the past couple years for MANY different applications. I've used both for everything from thread lube/antiseize to general lube/oil to spot protection of corrosion. Automobile, bicycle, firearm, and others.

I could not pick a favorite. FF is nice because it does NOT dry, but T9 is nice because it DOES. I've used T9 a lot for isolated spot protection in automotive applications, including fasterners, electrical connections and battery cables- BUT I HAVE FOUND FF TO WORK BETTER especially for electrical contacts.

I am a huge fan of T9 and use it all the time, but the more I use Fluid Film the more I prefer it over T9. I have never had an issue with either damaging plastics or rubbers (beware that T9 used some harsh solvents as a carrier, though). These days I do tend to pick FF over T9 unless its a application where a dry film/lube is desirable.

Oh, and T9 is not a carnauba product, I believe is a paraffin/oil blend with a solvent carrier.

Edit: And FF is cheaper. $10 for a aersol can or $40 for 1 gallon bulk can. Easy to apply with aersol, brush or HPLV sprayer.

Last edited:
Great descriptions of each!

So, I am looking at something to spritz onto bolts, brake line connectors , junctions. Worried about the FF creeping too much into areas like brakes wher I don't want it. Perhaps unwarranted concern.

The dry to waxy coat products like the Amsoil HDMP are interesting in that the don't make a sludge dust attractant but DO they self heal or flake and expose metal again to elements?

HDMP or T9 will defimately not self heal. Once they dry they are dry like wax or paint. Amsoil HDMP dries quite fast while T9 takes a number of hours (or more if applied toi heavily) in my experience.

I just used T9 on the dreaded Audi/VW upper control arm pinch bolt, I will find out in a few years weather or not it keeps the galvanic corrosion at bay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back