Bobs Neutra 131/ATF Engine Flush for 99 Corolla???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all... I recently purchased a 99 Corolla with about 160k miles and there were no signs of oil consumption at the time of purchase. After driving it for a bit I noticed it was burning about 1qt every 700 miles. To try and remedy this a person close to me whose name I won't mention put in a bottle of Autoguard oil treatment to try and slow down the burning. After I found this out I wasn't happy and as a result the car is now burning a qt. about every 250 miles. There is white smoke that will puff out of the exhaust only after I take off after sitting at a stop light etc. with the car idling... no smoke on highway. Engine runs great otherwise. As many of you know this car was made with pistons with too few and too small of drain holes. I suspect the Autoguard treatment sped up the sludge/drain problem with the pistons and engine in general. I suspect the white smoke is from blow by. There are no leaks. I used a high dose of Redline fuel sytem treatment which seems to help a bit. I don't have the money to tear into the engine so I ordered a couple bottles of Neutra 131 and am thinking of mixing with some ATF as Bobtheoilguy demonstrated in an old thread. The pics he posted were night and day just from 800 miles of driving. He said he used 12 oz of neutra and a quart of cheap ATF to replace a qt. of oil. The neutra was poured in last. I have never seen an engine look as clean after the pics he posted. Any thoughts if this sounds like a practical solution to stop the smoking/oil burning? I'm thinking of doing this with a couple of oil changes. Auto Rx takes too long in this case to clean and it would get burnt up way too fast to do any good before the required miles. Apparently Bob said he used to sale cases of Neutra to Toyota dealerships to remedy the piston issue? Thanks for your input.

I'd agree that ATF isn't suitable from a detergency standpoint. You would be better suited IMO with an HDEO cut with neutra, like rotella 10w-30 optimally. How old was the photo? Could have been due to lack of widespread light oil use at the time (10 years ago?). Could be that ATF had a lower viscosity that he was looking for. Now you can use a 5w-20 or similar if that was the reason.

But feel free to experiment with ATF. Photos in the same lighting conditions before and after would be great.

Bob had a lot of interesting and successful experiments, but i am with the others here. Schaeffers Neutra 131 by itself is an excellent engine purge. I would pour in a full bottle and run it.
You will do no harm by leaving it in and/or change oil in 500 or so miles and put the other bottle in at the end of that interval.

IDK, a lot of old timers had good results with ATF cleaning. Were they all crazy?

Now, I have not used it myself, but I don't agree with saying "It won't work, because it's doesn't make sense."

There are lots of things that works well, but makes no sense.

I would say, try it and see what happens. The condition the engine is in, it would be hard to harm it more.

I personally have done a number of successful piston soaks, but in the OP's case, it's too late for that.

JHZR2, from what I gather... the photo was from 2006. As I read through the corresponding thread it seemed that the conventional wisdom along with Bobs input was that older DEX III/M Automatic Transmission Fluid was high detergent. Whether new trans fluid is high detergent or not seemed to be up in the air. But with that said would not modern DEX III/M formulated for older cars still be high detergent? I looked on the MSDS of some of the aforementioned ATF, but it is hard to say if they are high detergent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back