Boat seat upholstery

What is a reasonable solution to this so it does not get worse but looks better than duct tape.

Some day reupholster but not this year. Too many more important system to tend to.

I see kits to fix upholstery that if you have used the kit 50 times I am sure it's easy. But I have only one tear to deal with.

Attachments

• PXL_20230626_202626508.jpg
    PXL_20230626_202626508.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 7
  • PXL_20230626_202648713.jpg
    PXL_20230626_202648713.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 7
I am not a fan of tape repairs, but they do have their place. If you aren't either:

Get a piece of vinyl maybe twice the size of the affected area. Work it behind the fabric and spread it out. Now the tricky, messy part. Mask off the surface of the damaged area. Use 3m or Permatex vinyl/fabric adhesive or another slow drying, non-contact type adhesive. Compress the foam to open a space between the back side of the torn vinyl and the backing piece you forced in. Apply a thin amount of glue between, lay the torn flap down and tape to hold together until the adhesive dries. Remove tape and use a little paint marker or similar to hide the tear itself. When completely cured, use a heat gun and gently warm and massage the area to smooth it out.

I have had great results doing this, but it is a tedious and fiddly job.

I did the passenger seat in this photo that way. 3 of the seams were torn near the front. As the tears were in the molded in seams, they are hardly noticeable, but you can barely see the slight bulges from the fabric underneath.

Or just tape it and enjoy the boat...

int 2020 1.jpg

Back