BMW X5 E70 3.0si 2007 Transfer Case

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure if this is proper to have a separate thread for X5 trasnfer case but Just wanted to confirm some information here from the REAL experts for my X5 E70 3.0si 2007.
My mechanic is PARANOID and all he does recommends INSANE priced OEM BMW fluids for my X5 E70 3.0si 2007 that ...has 200k miles and already changed the transmission!
So I am obviously reluctant to put insane priced fills into a car that has some mileage. I want to keep prices in check.

OK so my questions are (apologies if I got infected with PARANOIA and some are reiterations):

Q1`
Can I use Motul DCTF for the BMW X5 E70 2008 3.0 si ATC700 transfer case?

http://www.worldpac.com/sdmedia/pdfs/motul/Multi_DCTF_(GB).pdf

I also see....
Ravenol TF-0870 and of course the INSANE priced BMW DTF-1
This is the ATC700 transfer case http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=FE43-USA-02-2006-E70-BMW-X5_30si&diagId=27_0038

Q2.
For differentials. Both front and back.

Castrol Syntrax Longlife 75W-90 188L
API GL-5 oraz SAE 75W-90.Castrol Syntrax Longlife 75W-90

be ok? is it one liter for back and one liter for front?
I am not sure what 188L means.

I would enormously appreciate what you have used for those fills to share.

Front Axle is:OE fluid 83222365987 http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=FE43-USA-02-2006-E70-BMW-X5_30si&diagId=31_0794
Rear Axle is: OE fluid 83222365987 http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=FE43-USA-02-2006-E70-BMW-X5_30si&diagId=33_1388

Transfer case! Strictly BMW fluid! Do not joke with that. Redline likes to claim that they are BMW speciality company. But even they strayed away from Transfer Case fluid.
I paid I think for my 2013 BMW X5 35d $57. Take into consideration that 35d has ATC 750 which proved to be extremely durable, unlike ATC450 in 3.0i and 35i. Those ATC450, while really good, and above average reliable, can have an issue due to old fluid or wrong fluid.
Differentials? Castrol Syntrax would be my choice or Redline.
Change AT fluid too while you are at it.

Originally Posted by jeepman3071
FCPEuro.com has a Shell fluid for the transfer case - $35.99

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw-transfer-case-fluid-1-liter-shell-83222409710

For the differentials, the Castrol Syntrax 75w90 should be fine. Redline 75w90 can be found a bit cheaper on Amazon and is what I use in my BMW. Each axle should be 1 L.

+1 for this fluid. I used it to replace the fluid in my t-case about 6 months ago. FCP Euro is awesome.

The differentials are just your typical open-type so you can use just about any synthetic 75W-90/110 you'd like. Mine are full of Redline 75W-110.

The front takes avout 0.8 quarts and the rear takes a little over a quart, but it's hard to actually get the fluid all the way out since there's no plug. 2 quarts or liters should do it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by edyvw
Transfer case! Strictly BMW fluid! Do not joke with that. Redline likes to claim that they are BMW speciality company. But even they strayed away from Transfer Case fluid.
I paid I think for my 2013 BMW X5 35d $57. Take into consideration that 35d has ATC 750 which proved to be extremely durable, unlike ATC450 in 3.0i and 35i. Those ATC450, while really good, and above average reliable, can have an issue due to old fluid or wrong fluid.

you got me worried here..I had been thinking of putting Motul Multi DCTF as it is fully DTF-1 compatible....
This is the OE fluid in high stress Nissan GTR...has even same color and better viscosity comapred to Shell/Ravenol ...TF0870...

Also,,,I am seeing that BMW OE fluid needs to be SHAKEN for 30s..I am seeing lots of bottles 3 years old..does it matter? does it sediment to insist on as fresh as possible
since shelf life with no churn causes deterioration?

MotulDCTF.png

Last edited:
Originally Posted by tadeusztomaszew

you got me worried here..I had been thinking of putting Motul DCTF as it is fully DTF-1 compatible....
This is the OE fluid in high stress Nissan GTR...has even same color and better viscosity cmapred to Shell/Ravenol ...TF0870...
what the...

Also,,,I am seing thet BMW OE fluid needs to be SHAKEN for 30s..I am seeing lots of bottles 3 years old..does it matter? does it sediment to insist on as fresh as possible
since shelf life with no churn causes deterioration?

Is that Motul approved or it meets specifications?
Listen, that Shell that was mentioned above seems that it could be what BMW is getting since they are now supplier.
But, if I had still my X5, DTF would be my choice. It is not like you are changing this every 5K.
Nissan GT-R is different car. Just because it is GT-R does not mean there is more stress as architecture of components is different.

Listen, that Shell that was mentioned above seems that it could be what BMW is getting since they are now supplier.
But, if I had still my X5, DTF would be my choice. It is not like you are changing this every 5K.
Nissan GT-R is different car. Just because it is GT-R does not mean there is more stress as architecture of components is different.

The image I got OFF Motul site is states EXPLICITLY that it is equivalent to BMW DTF-1....
is it BMW approved? no idea...See image. Take off Motul website.

MotulDCTF.png

The image I got OFF Motul site is states EXPLICITLY that it is equivalent to BMW DTF-1....
is it BMW approved? no idea...See image. Take off Motul website.

If it does not say it is approved, stay away from it.

See below. It mixes fine with Shell TL0870 . I believe this is the original BMW fluid from factory I believe relaballed as BMW.
I read people drive xdrives on it no problem .... also Motul US website lists is for BMW X5 E70 ...

In my transmission I put Mannol AG55...no issues whatoever...
I am also thinking of using Motul instead of Cstrol Syntrax 75W90 for the front and rear differentials...

what do you mean by saying APPROVED? BMW approved? They approve only their own relabeled marketing bottles...at a crazy markup.

It states there OEM group and standards it meets. DTF-1 is BMW spec... IS there ANYONE driving on this Motul?
Is anyone from Motul here?

MotulDCTF2.png

Last edited:
But in order for that table to be a listing of actual approvals it would have to mean it has all of them, not just the BMW ones since none are listed as "acceptable for" or "recommended. Do you think that is the case for all those disparate manufacturers?

For what it's worth the listing for the Mercedes Benz approval is not worded properly for a Mercedes Benz approval, per their website. Therefore that is not an actual approval. Since it does not distinguish between any of them as approved or acceptable, then the conclusion would be it has none of actual approvals on that list.

Also it uses the word "Specification" when some are not specifications but approvals. This type of inaccurate wording is sometimes used when the intent is to obfuscate.

I am only interested in this from the perspective of a BMW onwer. I have BMW X5 E70 3.0Si 2007 with XDRIVE ATC700 transferbox.
It lists ALL BMW part # for the applicable OE fluids BMW wants in those xdrive ATC700s.

Is anyone from Motul present here?

I am only interested in this from the perspective of a BMW onwer. I have BMW X5 E70 3.0Si 2007 with XDRIVE ATC700 transferbox.
It lists ALL BMW part # for the applicable OE fluids BMW wants in those xdrive ATC700s.

Is anyone from Motul present here?

Just because Motul says it is compatible with Shell, does not mean it is.
Approval means that BMW will put Motul on approved list. BMW does not give approval to BMW labeled bottles. They are already cooked per BMW request. It is in BMW's interest to approve as many fluids as possible because that makes things easier for customers and transfer case will not fail because wrong fluid is used. When component like that fails, people blame car manufacturer not fluid manufacturer. So it is in BMW's interest to approve as many as possible, includi Motul, but only if Motul requests that. Do not compare transmission to Transfer case. ZF transmission is much more flexible and many people use Valvoline Maxlife or Redline to substitute ZF fluid.
Transfer case is different animal.
ANd no, no one from Motul will answer you here. You can send them an e-mail and ask if BMW approved their fluid.

tadeusztomaszew said:
ANd no, no one from Motul will answer you here. You can send them an e-mail and ask if BMW approved their fluid.

You scared me so bad that I think I will call them... problem is I fear all they will do is read the chart alound to me.
The notion of approved and approval process is probably as proprietary as it can get...
reading between the lines is always gonna be common. That being said,
oil selector on Motul US site si specifying Motul Multi DCTF for ATC700 in BMW X5 E70 2007...

tadeusztomaszew said:

You scared me so bad that I think I will call them... problem is I fear all they will do is read the chart alound to me.
The notion of approved and approval process is probably as proprietary as it can get...
reading between the lines is always gonna be common. That being said,
oil selector on Motul US site si specifying Motul Multi DCTF for ATC700 in BMW X5 E70 2007...

Or, you can make your life much easier and just get BMW fluid.

Having the Nissan GT-R oil in my xdrive would make me feel ENTITLED :)

Having a BMW that can pretend to run up to a Nissan GT-R in its high tech prowess would be amazing... :)

Then go to local Nissan and buy fluid for TC.

It takes about a liter (slightly less). Why make this so difficult? Just buy the Shell TF 0870 fluid (same as what's in a bottle of BMW TF 0870) for $35 and call it a day.

Originally Posted by 1JZ_E46
It takes about a liter (slightly less). Why make this so difficult? Just buy the Shell TF 0870 fluid (same as what's in a bottle of BMW TF 0870) for $35 and call it a day.

I am not in US now. I cannot get it here...I am not gonna lug it in my luggaged and then...I will be in US in 3 months

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back