BMW X1 insane fuel economy

Mine is stick, and 6th is runs so high, almost like 5th in other cars.

That's actually what gives me pause with going back to a manual. Audi and BMW's manuals run about 500 rpm, or more, higher on the top end. I really prefer riding the boost with the lazy revs.

I'm not sure why you say that, but having driven a couple of the ZF8HP's mated to BMW 4 cylinders, back-to-back with the X1, I just don't see much of a difference (longitudinal, haven't driven the new ZF sideways box in the newest X1's). Shift times seem very similar. Yes, the Aisin feels slightly softer during shifts--slightly...but as someone who hates automatic transmissions, I really like the Aisin 8 speed box in the X1.

I think a lot has to do with the programming. I've read a lot of complaints about this transmission among Volvo and Buick owners, and VW seemed to screw it up in the first Jettas... but the same is true of the ZF transmission. I drove one in a Jeep and thought it was the second worst transmission I ever drove, after the Focus DCT... Programming counts for lot.

It's definitely a component of the fuel economy--it's geared quite tall, and that matters at highway speeds. But it's not much different than my Golf R, which has tall gears and no torque converter...
It does not shift nearly as fast as ZF8, and that is in BMW (in other vehicles, particularly Toyota is it painfully slow compared to ZF). Gearing is nowhere near as good. Third gear drops too much when it is most important. Euro vehicles always had third gear extremely strong. Though it is huge step up over 6 speed Aisin.

Where are those places? I just came back from Montana and Wyoming, where there is gas station every 70 miles, and all had full range of gasoline octane ratings, even those beaten up gas stations.
Also, any BMW can run on 87 if other types are not available. It is just that BMW wants you to run on higher octane rating, same like ALL other manufacturers would like that we move from 87 to 89 as minimum octane rating.

Caps, TX has one convenience store, and it sells 87 octane only. It has diesel, but nothing gas except 87 octane.

Reactions: Ws6
Neh, luckily Caps is close enough to Abilene that I don’t have to settle for 87.

Unfortunately, no gas station in Abilene sells 93 octane; 91 is the highest you can find anywhere in the city.
91 octane is only thing you will find in the West, or higher altitude towns/cities. I checked Abilene, it is around 1,800ft, so that could be reason (or excuse).

91 octane is only thing you will find in the West, or higher altitude towns/cities. I checked Abilene, it is around 1,800ft, so that could be reason (or excuse).

Smaller towns along interstate on the way there have 93, but Abilene doesn’t. It’s very odd. I tried to uncover the secret reason but didn’t come up with much. The best hypothesis I have is that it’s due to the proliferation of Alon/Fina gas stations there.

Alon/Fina stations never sell 93 around here, with 91 or 90 octane being their supreme. And for whatever reason, Alon has a near monopoly on Abilene gas stations. It’s friggin weird how many of that town’s c-stores are Alon stores!

Anyway, my guess is that since the biggest competitor in town only sells 90-91 octane as the supreme, the handful of other branded stations only carry the same 91 octane as supreme to avoid the extra cost of buying/maintaining 93 octane for the relatively few customers that buy supreme.

IDK, it’s a stretch, I know, but it’s all I got. There’s no law saying they can’t sell 93, but nobody does, so maybe it’s just a voluntary thing.

Smaller towns along interstate on the way there have 93, but Abilene doesn’t. It’s very odd. I tried to uncover the secret reason but didn’t come up with much. The best hypothesis I have is that it’s due to the proliferation of Alon/Fina gas stations there.

Alon/Fina stations never sell 93 around here, with 91 or 90 octane being their supreme. And for whatever reason, Alon has a near monopoly on Abilene gas stations. It’s friggin weird how many of that town’s c-stores are Alon stores!

Anyway, my guess is that since the biggest competitor in town only sells 90-91 octane as the supreme, the handful of other branded stations only carry the same 91 octane as supreme to avoid the extra cost of buying/maintaining 93 octane for the relatively few customers that buy supreme.

IDK, it’s a stretch, I know, but it’s all I got. There’s no law saying they can’t sell 93, but nobody does, so maybe it’s just a voluntary thing.
IDK, in CO for decades manufacturers are pressing for regular to go from 85 to 87, and oil companies do not want to do that as it would be expensive to make a switch, so they use "high altitude" excuse.

Oof. 89 required? I've gone places they dont even have 89. 87 minimum acceptable is part of my vehicle selection criteria.

Places that don't have but one octane? (If they have a 91-93 Pump they have it you just have to make it).

I think fuel cost per mile is likely a better barometer than octane in isolation. I used to own a 3.5 V-6 that said 89 octane recommended inside the fuel door. I didn't find it any great hardship. Although I think it would run without damage on 87.

Places that don't have but one octane? (If they have a 91-93 Pump they have it you just have to make it).

I think fuel cost per mile is likely a better barometer than octane in isolation. I used to own a 3.5 V-6 that said 89 octane recommended inside the fuel door. I didn't find it any great hardship. Although I think it would run without damage on 87.
ANy gas engine can run on 87. No manufacturer is going to make engine that will shut down itself bcs. lower than recommended octane ratings. Now, when it comes to E85 etc. that might actually be different story and cause damage, but 85 octane ratings (in mountain states) and up is going to run in any engine. It might reduce power to prevent some damage, but you will keep going until next station.
And Caps, TX is on I20. I mean seriously?

Programming is HUGE. I hated autos until I bought a cx5. I drove an auto 370z (praised often, their 7A), and immediately knew I needed the manual version. Terrible programming.

My one complaint in my cx5 is the low gearing of the transmission. 80mph is around 2500rpm give or take. I'd have preferred 2000ish. What is the x1 BMW turning? Mazda did get it right with having the tq converter in lockup after 10mph though. My old Jeep grand Cherokee used the tq converter like another gear, lol! Felt like a 5 speed Powerglide. It was also constantly leaking.

The X1 is 2150 rpm at 80mph. The CX-5 reservce looks to be right at 2,600. I mean, that's still reasonably low for 80mph, but no doubt that's a limitation of having 6 speeds.

The X1 is 2150 rpm at 80mph. The CX-5 reservce looks to be right at 2,600. I mean, that's still reasonably low for 80mph, but no doubt that's a limitation of having 6 speeds.
I really like where the x1 is. My z06 was around 2k, and my jeep with hemi 2200ish. There is simply no need for these mad revs to cruise at 80.

I tried 87-93 octane and found no mpg difference. Acceleration was ever so slightly affected after 4k rpm. Nowhere near as bad as subaru though. I saw a YouTube video where a guy ran an auto wrx on 93 and 87. It was about 0.8 seconds slower to 60! He did several runs back to back and on 87 it was in the 7 second range!

I really like where the x1 is. My z06 was around 2k, and my jeep with hemi 2200ish. There is simply no need for these mad revs to cruise at 80.

Those are big V8's though. 2500 is low for a 4 cylinder. My 5 cylinder Jetta wagon as ~3,300 at 80mph before I swapped a taller 5th gear in there...

While I'm a big fan of the tall highway gearing, it's pretty easy to get going pretty fast--too fast. I think my MK1 GTI was would have been about 4K RPM at 80mph, so no accidental speeding in that car...

At legal freeway speeds my Mazda 2.5 is doing about 2000 rpm. If I go over 75mph or so, that is when the fuel economy starts to take a hit.

Those are big V8's though. 2500 is low for a 4 cylinder. My 5 cylinder Jetta wagon as ~3,300 at 80mph before I swapped a taller 5th gear in there...

While I'm a big fan of the tall highway gearing, it's pretty easy to get going pretty fast--too fast. I think my MK1 GTI was would have been about 4K RPM at 80mph, so no accidental speeding in that car...

Yep, 3850 RPMs with the Evo's 5spd at 80mph. With an aftermarket exhaust, long range cruising was just....exhausting. My buddy's MP4-12C was around 1900rpms at 80mph.....

At legal freeway speeds my Mazda 2.5 is doing about 2000 rpm. If I go over 75mph or so, that is when the fuel economy starts to take a hit.
I experienced that as well when I had a 2.5 non-turbo Mazda. Horrible mpg on road trips. The turbo model is actually much cheaper to own in that regard for me. I now manage on average 2mpg better on road trips, and about 3mpg better in my daily commute.

I experienced that as well when I had a 2.5 non-turbo Mazda. Horrible mpg on road trips. The turbo model is actually much cheaper to own in that regard for me. I now manage on average 2mpg better on road trips, and about 3mpg better in my daily commute.

Obviously you are a lead foot 😁. The throttle system on these vehicles is very sensitive.

Obviously you are a lead foot 😁. The throttle system on these vehicles is very sensitive.
Sadly the engine wasn't. Without the turbo I was always having to wail on it to get it to go. With the turbo? Easy peasy. handles the mountains and the highway fine.

118241993_10100309159879521_936118767652385699_o.jpg

So much better now that I have a more favorable power/weight ratio.

It comes down to perception and expectation. I’ve had no problem with power when I needed it. While the turbo model definitely produces the torque the n/a model provides the fuel economy. I think the highway average is 28 or maybe a tad less. I’m happy getting 35+mpg and that is going over mountain passes in summer heat.

Back