BMW Touch up Paint

I have a few spots on my car that I would like to touch up. However, I'm struggling to find a touch up paint. Many people have complained that BMW's touch up paint did not much, and it was way off.

Car is 2009 BMW 328i, color is Spacegrau metallic A52/7

Any suggestions on what kind to get for touch up, or where to buy it would be greatly appreciated.

Dr. Colorship will do a decent job for road rash, but it's all in the technique of the user. There's a product available on Amazon which is good for just a couple of chips but again, results depend upon the user.

BMW touchup paint used to come with a bottle of base and a bottle of clear. I found it to be a pain.

On an aside you have a 13 yr old car. The touch up point won't match perfectly.

Reactions: hrv
Good luck on touch up paint! I've not had much luck.

After about a year of ownership, smacked a deer and tore up the front bumper. Took to well known local body shop. Car was still drivable. He gave me an estimate and I said get the parts ordered. He ripped off about a 6" piece of the front bumper. "Now I know that I can match the paint" LOL:) And it did match very well! 2018 Subaru Forester.

Couple years later, I was at the Subaru dealer for an oil change, diff oil change and brake fluid flush. Had a couple door dings and bought Subaru touch up paint. Not even close!

Went to local body shop again, so he could mix up some paint. He could only go off Subaru specs and his paint meter, or whatever it's called. It looks better than the Subaru paint, but not perfect. Good enough for a 2018.

Wish I would have kept that 6" chunk of bumper he ripped off for future paint match. Or maybe ask to mix up a little extra for door dings. Hind sight.

Dr. Colorship will do a decent job for road rash, but it's all in the technique of the user. There's a product available on Amazon which is good for just a couple of chips but again, results depend upon the user.

BMW touchup paint used to come with a bottle of base and a bottle of clear. I found it to be a pain.

On an aside you have a 13 yr old car. The touch up point won't match perfectly.
Which product on Amazon? Could you share a name or link :)

ya. The kit is designed to help you prep, apply, and then soften/smooth the paint because touchup paint usually results in blobs or underfilled.
I have used Lanka for years until I came across Doctor Colorchip...To me it works much better than Lanka and the paint is included...

Ya. Lanka for a couple of chips. Colorship for road rash.
Sorta... I like Doctor Colorchip because there paint has the clear coat mixed in with the color paint... Once used it dries to a shine and not a dull look needing a clear coat to make it shine...

Sorta... I like Doctor Colorchip because there paint has the clear coat mixed in with the color paint... Once used it dries to a shine and not a dull look needing a clear coat to make it shine...
Ya.

BMW touch up paint kits come with separate clear. You can mix it with the base but it's not easy or you can apply it separately and use the blob remover to rub it down. I used Lanka once with limited success because the factory paint was so thin.

Last edited:
Reactions: hrv
Back