BMW synthetic oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
the dealership i work at sells BMW high performance synthetic oil 5w-30 to customers... anyone familiar? is it a true synthetic, and who makes it?

quote:

Originally posted by eldawg4100:
the dealership i work at sells BMW high performance synthetic oil 5w-30 to customers... anyone familiar? is it a true synthetic, and who makes it?

Castrol makes the factory fill oils and fluids for all BMWs. I'd be willing to bet, however, that the synthetic they make for BMW is not the Syntec sold in the North American market.

quote:

Originally posted by XHVI:

quote:

Castrol makes the factory fill oils and fluids for all BMWs. I'd be willing to bet, however, that the synthetic they make for BMW is not the Syntec sold in the North American market.

Baseline samples have indicated that BMW's version of the 5W-30 is not just Syntec in a different bottle. The BMW blend shows a different amount of additives. I do believe that the BMW 5W-30 is a Group III, but haven't been able to verify it. I also suspect that the 10W-60 TWS is a Group IV/V base.

quote:

Originally posted by XHVI:

quote:

Last I knew, Spectro was formulating BMW motorcycle oils. 2100 ppm phosphorus and 1740 Zinc. WOW!! Holy Bat Man that's a bunch of ZDDP

That kicks poop on Castrol, Euro or otherwise.

it would be interesting to see who really makes it and if its better than syntec? I can get it for pretty cheap like 2 dollars-3 dollars a quart, and if it is as good, or very near the performance of mobil 1 oil, i would use it....

quote:

it would be interesting to see who really makes it and if its better than syntec? I can get it for pretty cheap like 2 dollars-3 dollars a quart, and if it is as good, or very near the performance of mobil 1 oil, i would use it....

If you check the Castrol web site they state rather explictly that they are the makers of all the oils and fluids for BMW factory fill as well as service fill. Therefore, the BMW branded oil at the dealer is made by Castrol. (Whether or not this applies to BMW motorcycle oil is not discernable from the Castrol web page, though it could be inferred.)

Since Syntec is a product unique to the North American market, it's highly unlikely that Syntec is put in at the factory. It's reasonable to believe that the BMW branded synthetic is the same formula put in at the factory and not Castrol's Syntec. And since Castrol synthetic 5w40 is supposedly available at BMW (and MB) dealers, this probably isn't Syntec either, since Syntec is not sold anywhere else in that weight.

quote:

darn i guess nobody knows what the 5-30 synthetic they sell really is

If you can get it cheap and you want to use a synthetic, I'd use it. It meets BMW's "Long Life" spec, which is comparable to MB's 229.3, so it's good oil no matter who makes it.

quote:

darn i guess nobody knows what the 5-30 synthetic they sell really is

I don't think there is any question that the current BMW 5W-30 is made by Castrol, or that it is different than Syntec. The only question is whether or not it's a Group III.

I currently use the BMW synthetic in my wife's 528e. I used Mobil 1 for years. I can't tell a difference. What they currently sell is API SJ/CF and ACEA A3/B3. Not many 5W30's can claim that.

There is an OA on the Maixima forum from a 1997 M3 with 6,000 mile drain. The wear numbers looked great, TBN was holding well, and it seemed to stay in grade. It looked impressive IMHO considering how M3s are driven.

First off...to XHVI, there is NO BMW synth. 5-40. We covered this in a previous post. The Castrol Produced BMW Synthetic is made by Castrol N.A. to be sold in N.A.. Not sure what they use in Europe. Anyways, it is not the same as Syntec. Not sure if it's better or worse, but obviously it's made to BMW's specs, so I'll bet the OTC Syntec cannot stand up to the extended drain intervals currently and previously recommended by Euro. car manufacturers. Furthermore, it's probably a group III with increased addatives specific for BMW's requirements. That is why I'm sticking with M-1. At least, it's OTC stuff used by O.E. manufacturers....ie. doesn't need additional tinkering. And finally, a word of warning to those out there with older BMW's...DO NOT use this oil as it is too thin. I've used it in my `94 for over a year with increased visible sludge because it's too thin and only recommended in temps. from -20F to 32F...so, unless you're in the Artic circle...or U.S. cars...in which you don't mind a gr. III....

quote:

Originally posted by Dr. T:
First off...to XHVI, there is NO BMW synth. 5-40. We covered this in a previous post.

Really? Here is the text from an e-mail from Mercedes-Benz dated Nov 10. I e-mailed them to find out what synthetic oils they recommend for the FSS in North America. I've edited out my name and e-mail address; everything else is cut and pasted directly from the e-mail.

quote:

Sender:
To:
Subject: Re: SN 564055, Re: Other Comments & Questions (OCAQ)
Message-ID:
Reply-To:
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 16:44:10 +0100
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
Content-Disposition: inline

Dear Mr. _______:

Thank you for your recent internet query.

For vehicles with Flexible Service System, Mercedes-Benz recommends the
following approved Synthetic Engine Oils:

Mobil 1 OW-40 229.3
Castrol Syntec 5W-40 229.3
Quaker State Full Synthetic European Formula 5W-40 229.3
Pennzoil Synthetic European Formula 5W-40 229.3
76 Pure Synthetic Motor Oil 5W-40 229.3

Kendall GT-1 Full Synthetic Motor Oil 5W-40 229.3
Shell Helix Ultra 5W-30 229.3
Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 229.3

This Castrol 5w40 is the only 229.3 approved Castrol oil available in North America and it is only available at BMW and MB dealers who choose to stock it.

The Castrol 5W40 that XHVI is talking about can be purchased at BMW, MERCEDES, and VW Dealers. At this time it is not avaliable at parts stores. This product is a Group III synthetic made by Petro-Canada for Castrol Canada/North America, and brought in to America for these dealers only, at this time.

XHVI: If you read this, I sent you a PM. If you have time, please read it.

Johnny,

UAP Napa here apparently can get a hold of the Castrol 5W40 Syntec. A member in another forum inquired by accident, and although UAP does not stock them, they can acquire them and sell them for a ridiculous price of $10.50CAD/litre.

Regards,

Oz

BMW's service fill engine oil was changed from 5W-40 to 5W-30 nearly 2 years ago. My owners manual recommends the 5W-40 and even offers a part number for this oil but a quick trip to any dealership or a telephone call to BMW of North America will confirm that this part number has been superceded and viscosity recommendation changed to reflect the 5W-30 recommendation now in place.

The BMW 5W-30 oil is a much more robust oil than the OTC Castrol products sold in North America. The fact that it meets the ACEA A3 rating indicates that the viscosity is higher than the average 5W-30 also.

The only other 5W-40 oil that I've seen marketed through the German automobile retailers has been a specially blended diesel oil for Volkswagens' TDI. Mercedes and Porsche tend to lean toward the 0W-40 Mobil product and BMW has chosen to market the 5W-30 Castrol to follow in line with a worldwide marketing agreement that they signed.

So, the VW 5w-40 is not like any OTC Castrol sold in North America. The BMW 5W-30 is not like any Castrol sold in North America. Whether M-B and Porsche use the exact same formulation as the OTC Mobil-1 0W-40 is unknown to me.

The BMW Synthetic is made by Castrol, but is not Syntec. I've personally never used/seen the Syntec 5-40, but would probably be prudent to assume that it too is not the same as the formula for BMW. The previous BMW 5-40 Synthetic was made by Valvoline for BMW.

Guess the differences between M-B and BMW is that BMW went the route of having a company make a "BMW oil" so they can sell it as such as profit from it's sales....I'm just surpirsed that it's so reasonably priced (even at dealer rates!). Whereas M-B doubles the price of the M-1 0-40....I think Mobil never thought they'd offer it OTC, but the demand was too high for the product, they not offer it as such.

As an aside, I was told Porsche uses the 0-40 in the new cars and the M-1 15-50 in the older Porsches...they didn't give me a reason.

The 5w-40 Castrol Syntec sold by VW dealers is an excellent synthetic that meets the ACEA A3/B4 and VW 502/505 specifications. The additive chemistry looks very much like the Series 3000, 5w-30 synthetic diesel oil. This formulation has a TBN up in the 11.5-12.0 range, so it is definitely not the off-the-shelf Castrol Syntec....

TooSlick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back