BMW oil change intervals ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ecotourist
I have a 2000 528i. The OLM recommends a change at about 22,000 Km (14,000 miles). But the dealer suggested I change the oil at half that interval (without resetting the lights).

I didn't own the car for the first 2 changes and the Vanos caused problems just before the warranty ran out.

I now change the oil based on time as I put so few miles on it. I use BMW LL-01 oil (Syntec 0W-30) and replace the filter every other change.

I know both our local dealers here recommend that as well. Was surprised when I got in my sisters 335 and saw an oil change sticker from the dealer.

We had our 2011 328i for 6 years (N52 3.0L NA 6 Cyl). The OLM would show next oil change due in 18,000 miles right after an oil change. That was and still is pure [censored]. It got new oil and filter every 6 months or 5K miles. Our new 2017 will get serviced at the same interval. It has the 2.0L Turbo.

Last edited:
I now change the oil based on time as I put so few miles on it.

What time interval do you use? 1 year?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
I now change the oil based on time as I put so few miles on it.

What time interval do you use? 1 year?

I had been changing the oil at 1 year (9000 km/ 5600 miles) intervals, but I have been driving it so little recently that I went 2 years (same 9000 km/ 5600 miles) this time. That may be pushing it, but it was very good oil and 6+ liters. I only drive the BMW about once a week, and then for longer trips.

I have 2 perfectly good cars and since I "retired" I really only need one.

I change oil (right now LL-01 Castrol 0w-40) in my wife's 2011 528i every 6K. It was the last year for the naturally-aspirated inline 6, the N52!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back