BMW N57t Diesel, 2 UOA with elevated nickel level

Status
Not open for further replies.
So i've have my MY14 x5 35d since 60k miles and 2 yrs (84k miles as for now), assuming (was leased until 50k 5yr service expired) that oil changes was done by dealer (every so 9k-10k miles carfax shows serviced done by BMW). Since ownership the first 2 oil change was M1 ESP 5w-30 for 8.5k mi/8mo until BMW LL-04 was dropped from M1. Then it was Motul X-clean 5w40 for 7k mi/9mo, i've just changed my oil over to Liqui-Moly Top-Tec 4100 5w-40 about 1 month ago @83k miles

However my last 2 oil changes is when i started sending UOA, the first UOA was with M1 ESP 5w-30 ran it for 8.5k miles/7months , then followed by Motul x-clean for 7k mi/8mo , both showed nickel at 5 ppm and has not changed even reducing oil mileage, Iron did improved however, I'm curious into why nickel is slightly elevated. I've attached UOA from Blackstone.

2018 X5 35d.png

2019 X5 35d.png

It seems that BMW are not renewing the approvals for LL01 and LL04 once they have expired. I'm sure M1 5w30 ESP would still be absolutely fine in your application.

Is there any chance that nickel could be a part of the additive package or possibly small scale contamination of the Motul? Can you find a VOA?

Alternative, is the Motul possibly cleaning stuff up which is causing the elevated nickel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back