BMW N52 taken apart: video

someone must have already posted this.. it skipped to 18min in when I started playing it. (ie I had already watched it)

So the driveshaft goes through the oil pan on AWD models?? wow.

Looks very over-engineered and complicated.

Last edited:
Good power and ready to go when pushed. I've seen quite a few with well over 200,000 miles, most were maintained close to the book (15k+ oil change intervals, never replace MTF or differential oil, and occasional coolant changes).

That's not how I do it, but it's hard to argue against it when the results are there.

someone must have already posted this.. it skipped to 18min in when I started playing it. (ie I had already watched it)

So the driveshaft goes through the oil pan on AWD models?? wow.

Looks very over-engineered and complicated.

That isn't all that unique, other AWD vehicles do this. I know the Chevy Trailblazer is one off the top of my head.

Edit: Just noticed another poster already mentioned the trailblazer.

Last edited:
Good power and ready to go when pushed. I've seen quite a few with well over 200,000 miles, most were maintained close to the book (15k+ oil change intervals, never replace MTF or differential oil, and occasional coolant changes).

That's not how I do it, but it's hard to argue against it when the results are there.
I'm currently doing some maintenance on a friend's N52 powered 2011 328i E91 Wagon. It's XDrive and automatic with 152k miles on it. The car feels and drives like it's brand new. No rattles, squeaks, or ticks. It has had the engine oil changed every 10k miles, and the oil filter housing gasket replaced, but besides brakes, filters, and tires everything else including the spark plugs and driveline fluids is original. :oops:

You can definitely feel the additional weight of the wagon, along with the softer/floatier feel of the XDrive suspension compared to my E90 RWD, but it still drives very well considering the utility the wagon offers.

Probably best BMW engine in last 15 years.
On the paper has 230hp, but IMO, it is more powerful. Low end torque is probably one of the best among such engines.

Back