BMW LL-01 FE oil spec'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going to revisit this thread...Considering ordering some BMW 0W30 TwinPower Turbo LL-01FE from FCP Euro and that's really the only oil that I find appealing on their website right now...My N62 is pretty well sealed up so leaks aren't much of a concern for me.

Aside from it being too thin and leaking out, is there another convincing reason not to use what BMW uses for the N62s now?

0W-30 TPT is what I run in my N12, N20, and N55 with no issues. The only significant stress the N63 might add is the Hot V.

Originally Posted by MCompact
0W-30 TPT is what I run in my N12, N20, and N55 with no issues. The only significant stress the N63 might add is the Hot V.

I have the N62...no turbo in the V to bake seals.

Originally Posted by TXCarGeek

What seals? The intake manifolds are on the outside.

Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells

Huh? Early N63s are known to bake valve stem seals because of the hot v setup. I don't have that engine so I don't have a hot v ...

Sorry, my mistake- it's what I get for reading too fast.

No worries
wink.gif

Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells

Huh? Early N63s are known to bake valve stem seals because of the hot v setup. I don't have that engine so I don't have a hot v ...

Yeah, but N62 is also known for valve stem issues, leaks on gaskets. I would go as heavy as possible. Mobil1 5W40 TDT, SHell Rotella 5W40 etc. You do not need LL01 in that engine per se.

I've had the Valve stem seals and all gaskets replaced and am doing oil changes every 7500 miles...I'm not concerned with leaks at this point. Definitely have no desire to run HDEO in there either.

FYI, the early N63s used the same valve stem seals as the N62s...they would bake in N62s in under 100k miles--add in some turbos in the V with even more heat and those inadequate seals are going to fair even worse now. The updated seals for the N63 also work in the N62s.

I've had the Valve stem seals and all gaskets replaced and am doing oil changes every 7500 miles...I'm not concerned with leaks at this point. Definitely have no desire to run HDEO in there either.

FYI, the early N63s used the same valve stem seals as the N62s...they would bake in N62s in under 100k miles--add in some turbos in the V with even more heat and those inadequate seals are going to fair even worse now. The updated seals for the N63 also work in the N62s.

Updated seals are better but not perfect. Numerous N63 after CCP have still valve steam issue.
Why you do not have desire to run HDEO? What are you trying to achieve with LL01FE?

Originally Posted by edyvw

Updated seals are better but not perfect. Numerous N63 after CCP have still valve steam issue.
Why you do not have desire to run HDEO? What are you trying to achieve with LL01FE?

Luckily I don't have an N63
wink.gif

I'm not trying to achieve anything...that's just what's available from FCP Euro which is who I usually order oil from and I was wondering if the only argument against using an oil that BMW specs for the N62 is that it may leak. As far as HDEO oils, I don't feel a need for it in this vehicle. It doesn't burn oil, it doesn't leak, it isn't dirty inside...just don't see how an HDEO would provide additional protection over what I've been using

Only other oils that meet LL01 spec according to the FCP website are these three:

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/5w30-special-tec-ll-engine-oil-5-liter-liqui-moly-lm2249
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/pentosin-pento-high-performance-5w-30-1-liter-5w30-1
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/5w-40-motor-oil-1-liter-lubro-moly-lm3863

Luckily I don't have an N63
wink.gif

I'm not trying to achieve anything...that's just what's available from FCP Euro which is who I usually order oil from and I was wondering if the only argument against using an oil that BMW specs for the N62 is that it may leak. As far as HDEO oils, I don't feel a need for it in this vehicle. It doesn't burn oil, it doesn't leak, it isn't dirty inside...just don't see how an HDEO would provide additional protection over what I've been using

Only other oils that meet LL01 spec according to the FCP website are these three:

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/5w30-special-tec-ll-engine-oil-5-liter-liqui-moly-lm2249
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/pentosin-pento-high-performance-5w-30-1-liter-5w30-1
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/5w-40-motor-oil-1-liter-lubro-moly-lm3863

OK, so than use Cstrol 0W40 from Wal Mart. Would be my choice over ANY Liqui Moly oil or Pentosin.

TXCarGeek said:
edyvw said:
TXCarGeek said:

/quote]
OK, so than use Cstrol 0W40 from Wal Mart. Would be my choice over ANY Liqui Moly oil or Pentosin.

I almost forgot...FCP sells Castro 0W30 as well...would it be worth ordering some of that? I used to use that but stopped when it was no longer available off the shelves locally.

EDIT: nevermind, GC is shown to be backordered on the FCP website...oh well.

Last edited:
TXCarGeek said:
edyvw said:
TXCarGeek said:

/quote]

I almost forgot...FCP sells Castro 0W30 as well...would it be worth ordering some of that? I used to use that but stopped when it was no longer available off the shelves locally.

EDIT: nevermind, GC is shown to be backordered on the FCP website...oh well.

Amazon has GC. I saw it few days back for $52 for 6qt.
Not sure you gain anything over 0W40. I got myself 6qt of GC when they had it on sale for $38.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back