BMW k1600 oil no 5w40

BTW, liquid cooled or not engine doesnt matter. Oil temperature is independent of coolant temperature, coolant temperature is controlled by a radiator and fan, oil temperature is not and can heat up much higher then coolant so, stick with the manufacturers recommended weight by not going to a "lighter" viscosity.
Except in the case where there is an oil-to-coolant heat exchanger/cooler that the filter mounts too. My XSR900 has one. The oil cooler reduces the oil temperature and helps keep the oil closer to the coolant temperature compared to an engine that doesn't employ that type of oil cooler.

Oil will definitely fun hotter in an air cooled bike, and most air cooled bikes have an air-to-oil cooler to bring oil temps down.

I was worry about the cold start in the morning that 10w will take longer time pumping to lubricate engine parts + the clearance between engine parts is very small.
How cold does it get in Bangkok? 10W is pumpable down way colder (-30C) than I'd think it would ever get there. Who's got the nads to take off riding at -30C? 😆

Motorcycles have a positive displacement oil pump, so the engine oiling system will still get the same oil volume forced to all areas by the pump even when it's started cold.

Except in the case where there is an oil-to-coolant heat exchanger/cooler that the filter mounts too. My XSR900 has one. The oil cooler reduces the oil temperature and helps keep the oil closer to the coolant temperature compared to an engine that doesn't employ that type of oil cooler.

Oil will definitely fun hotter in an air cooled bike, and most air cooled bikes have an air-to-oil cooler to bring oil temps down.
You know, as I was typing, I thought about that and thought, na, no bike is going to have that... but should expect no less from a BMW I guess.
Though less expensive bikes will not be.

Oil runs hotter for sure in an air cooled bike, My 2014 Road Kind came factory with a cooler but we need to know why previous years didn't.
The 14s and higher have a high compression engine, as well as the pistons are sprayed with oil at higher speeds (I'm sure the older ones maybe too) Anyway, even with my cooler at highway speeds the oil runs up to 257 degrees at the extreme and typical warming weather riding no less then 245 and I replaced the OEM 8 row cooler and put in a Jagg 10 row which is what I am pulling those temps with.

Anyway the faster the bike is moving, the more hot the oil gets at a time the most amount of cool air is blowing through the cooler and through the engine. Slower speeds 25 to 55 oil runs cooler.
Still to the point, if a bike doesnt have a cooler or in your upscale bike *LOL* an exchanger the oil is not going to be cooled simply because the engine is liquid cooled. It will help but it does exceed what the coolant temperature is and can be by a large margin.
Vechicles on the road, talking trucks and I guess automobiles will have oil coolers that do towing (not all) another perfect example is a boat engine, which runs typically with a 140 or 160 degree thermostat for the water cooling, you can run a boat so hard and the oil can get quite hot above that.

Ps. BTW, I am fan of BMW everything, though I dont own one. Just awesome looking bikes and the vehicles are amazing. My son works for them and gets up to two different company cars a year, sometimes only 1 depending how much mileage he puts on it. Plus owns one on his own.

Here’s some info I came across quoted from Harley Davidson with respect to oil temperatures.

When they refer to “bulk oil” they are talking about the oil in the tank. I’ve highlighted one portion with respect to what we are talking about. Lol, there is added agreement these engines run hot (duh...), adding an oil temperature gauge simply makes the rider worry when it gets hotter than they think it should, not necessarily hotter than what the engine is designed for. The bike is going to do what it does and it’s gonna live a long life.

“Optimum Oil Temperature as quoted from Harley-Davidson in February, 2010 issue of American Rider magazine, page 49.

Question: "What are the optimum operating oil temperatures for both the XL and Twin Cam engines? Also, what is the safe maximum temperature for each?"

Answer: "The optimum operating oil temperature for both engines is actually a temperature range depending upon the ambient temperature and type of riding. Ideally, the bulk oil (the oil in the oil tank) should be between 220 degrees and 250 degrees F during normal operation. This ensures that any water vapor that gets into the oil from the combustion process is vaporized and can be purged from the system by the breathers. For elevated ambient temperatures, the bulk oil can safely operate at temperatures up to 300 degrees F during extended idling or high-speed interstate cruising. Harley-Davidson's motor oil has been specially formulated with an enhanced anti-oxidation package to minimize oil oxidation concerns above 250 degrees F. The reserve alkalinity of our formulations has also been boosted to minimize any acid formation that could occur with elevated oil temperatures."

Given what I have been reading on this subject, Harley probably did a good thing by not including in oil temperature gauge. :)

Yep, I have an aftermarket oil temperature gauge on my FZ - the sensor is where the oil enters the main gallery from the oil cooler and filter. Oil temperature chases coolant temperature. Of course, oil temps will be higher elsewhere in the engine, but the cooler's doing its job.

Oil will definitely fun hotter in an air cooled bike, and most air cooled bikes have an air-to-oil cooler to bring oil temps down

My old air/oil cooled Suzuki GSXR's could run alarmingly hot, especially in stop and go traffic - it wasn't unusual to see temps of 270+. I seem to recall the Yosh Superbikes of that era running multiple oil coolers, basically shoving them anywhere there was space. Two huge ones in the usual area behind the front wheel, then another where the headlight on a street bike would be, and another in the tail section. Even then, it wasn't enough to keep oil temperatures in check. And those bikes were only making, what, 150hp?
Then Suzuki eventually discovered an amazing coolant called water.

Motorcycles have a positive displacement oil pump, so the engine oiling system will still get the same oil volume forced to all areas by the pump even when it's started cold.

Maybe his bike is like BLS's RC45 - has a gravity feed oil system instead of a pump. So thicker = slower flow.

:LOL:

How cold does it get in Bangkok? 10W is pumpable down way colder (-30C) than I'd think it would ever get there. Who's got the nads to take off riding at -30C? 😆

Hahaha the coldest ever is 18c.

Normal operating temperature as quoted from the 2014 Harley Davidson Touring Shop manual is 230 degrees, previous years don’t apply to the 2014 and laster touring bikes as 14 and later are higher performance HO engines. I think all engines should have some type of temperature gauge, coolant or oil, since almost no one has oil temp gauges on their vehicles they wrongly assume they are the same.

Back