BMW factory oil recomendations, is this document still current?

Is it possible that BMW is programming cars sold in different parts of the world differently to match local regulations, conditions, and/or experience? If so, it would explain these differeing geographic requirements for oil types, even if the cars affected are mechanically identical.
Some things like burn etc.
But, lately differences are smaller between engines on markets with strict emission requirements.

Also, keep in mind that BMW is almost as much an American company these days as a German company. Its largest plant is in the US, and it is now America's largest car exporter. It would be trivially easy for a BMW engineer to sample American fuel in Greenville SC every day on the way to work, and test to see what is actually in the fuel versus what is supposed to be in it. They are in a wonderful position to understand the American market and American fuel quality, and based on that to decide whether it is worth the risk to use an oil designed for the European market in the US.

Last edited:
I asked a question. Why do I have to explain something to ask a question? You said it is not possible. Why is it not possible?
Because for one thing the Internet delusions about an ECU or oil pump being programmed for a certain oil do not understand that an oil is not necessarily at a specific viscosity. It varies widely during typical operation, and if the engine were "programmed" for one value then how would it operate when the viscosity were not at the programmed value?

Also, why would this be done? For what reason? It would be a disaster waiting to happen. Every engine, every oil pump must be designed to tolerate a wide range of viscosity otherwise failure is programmed into the system.

There are a plethora of other reasons as well beyond the reality that there is no evidence of it whatsoever. It is simple imagination without reality.

Also, why would this be done? For what reason?
Different regulations. Different fuel quality. Different temperatures. Different liability laws. Different particulate filters. Different speed limits. Different maintenance habits. Different competition.

Have you noticed that when you download something, the download program wants to know where you are? That's because you get something different depending on your location. It's called localization.

Different regulations. Different fuel quality. Different temperatures. Different liability laws. Different particulate filters. Different speed limits. Different maintenance habits. Different competition.

Have you noticed that when you download something, the download program wants to know where you are? That's because you get something different depending on your location. It's called localization.
You have an active imagination.

Is it possible that BMW is programming cars sold in different parts of the world differently to match local regulations, conditions, and/or experience? If so, it would explain these differeing geographic requirements for oil types, even if the cars affected are mechanically identical.
It's possible but LL04 was predicated on use with ULSG. The geographic limitation was fuel specific. BMW keeping it simple by keeping quiet. Besides since VW Dieselgate their primary focus has been and will be EV platforms. Older ICE just isn't on their radar.

Do you know how much it costs to develop engines specific to each variable you mentioned? Particular filters are same. ENgines are tested for wide variety of temperatures etc.
When you think localization, what it actually means is legal issues. 99% of differences in manuals are due to legal requirements, consumer protection laws etc.

Just to be clear: I have no idea whether BMW installs different software for different countries. But they certainly could. And that would make the cars different in different countries, which could mean the correct oil for one country is different than the correct oil for another. In addition, BMW is in an excellent position to know a lot about real world differences between fuel qualities, especially in the US and Europe.

BMW has been very clear and consistent in all of their publications that LL04 should not be used in the US. So I would advise the OP to go with BMW's recommendations and ignore of what anyone says to the contrary.

Just to be clear: I have no idea whether BMW installs different software for different countries. But they certainly could. And that would make the cars different in different countries, which could mean the correct oil for one country is different than the correct oil for another. In addition, BMW is in an excellent position to know a lot about real world differences between fuel qualities, especially in the US and Europe.

BMW has been very clear and consistent in all of their publications that LL04 should not be used in the US. So I would advise the OP to go with BMW's recommendations and ignore of what anyone says to the contrary.
So, you have no idea about software, but you actually know which oil is OK and which is not?

Yes we did notice you do not know what you’re talking about and that it is complete unsubstantiated fantasy. You are one of several people on this board that post things as though they have some understanding of a subject but it turns out they do not. Perhaps you are one of the former members that did that under a previous name.

You also don’t know what you mean about the “correct oil” either. edyvw nailed that above.

So, you have no idea about software, but you actually know which oil is OK and which is not?
I probably know much more about software than you do, but you know more about oil. In recommending that people go ahead and use LL-04 here in the US, you have obviously been making the assumption that BMW engines sold in Europe are programmed the same way as those in the US. With the advances in software control, this may or may not be true anymore for the newest generations of BMWs (or any other car).

BMW knows a lot about their oils, about real world fuel qualities and about their control software - more than either you or I. That's why I recommend sticking with BMW's statement: "only BMW Longlife-04 and BMW Longlife-12 FE are permitted in Europe ... They must not be used outside this area."

I probably know much more about software than you do, but you know more about oil. In recommending that people go ahead and use LL-04 here in the US, you have obviously been making the assumption that BMW engines sold in Europe are programmed the same way as those in the US. With the advances in software control, this may or may not be true anymore for the newest generations of BMWs (or any other car).

BMW knows a lot about their oils, about real world fuel qualities and about their control software - more than either you or I. That's why I recommend sticking with BMW's statement: "only BMW Longlife-04 and BMW Longlife-12 FE are permitted in Europe ... They must not be used outside this area."
My oil can go from -30C to 120C in 10 minutes. Now, consider the swing in viscosity that constitutes, then factor that into your thought process here.

BMW had said it's because of levels of sulphur. In gas and diesel.

This goes back to around 2006 when parts of the EU moved to ULSG and ULSD. When US moves to ULSD all the diesel used LL04.

BMW now uses a ACEA Cx in all their gasoline engines because the US moved to ULSD.

As for engine tuning. Ya there are differences in terms of power but nothing can be done to account for changes in oil.

Think about this. The oil pumps are mechanically driven.

Well, since I did reprogram BMW's here and in Europe for various purposes, maybe I do know. What do you think?
But I am curious about what software has to do with the decision to use LL04 or LL01. I am all ears.

Well, since I did reprogram BMW's here and in Europe for various purposes, maybe I do know. What do you think?
But I am curious about what software has to do with the decision to use LL04 or LL01. I am all ears.
You must have not read or understood my second paragraph. So let me repeat it:

Although this looks to me like clunky English translation of a German statement (and I am fluent in German), the intended meaning should be clear and obvious to all: LL04 must not be used outside of Europe.

Q.E.D.

Back