BMW 650 GranCoupe X-Drive Rear diff oil

I want to drain and replace my rear differential fluid on my BMW 650 XDrive, from my research BMW uses Hypoid Axle Oil G1 (BOT448) P/N: 83 22 2 295 532 which is a 75W85 GL-4 oil, I want to try out the Redline 75W85 oil, however, it is a GL-5 oil, even tho on the redline website it says it is compatible with the BMW 75W85 GL-4 oil even included the BMW part number, from more research online, some say that one should not be using GL-5 oil in GL-4 car because it has sulfur which could cause wear, experts please do chime in. As well is Redline oil a superior product compared to BMW gear oil? or are there other suggestions and why?

I would have no problem using RedLine 75W85 in my BMW. Dodge HellCats use 75W85 gear oil. If it's good enough for a 707HP car, I would say it's good enough for the BMW. GL5 is made for hypoid differential's.

BMW used to spec GL4 oils for their manual transmissions because GL5 oils attacked the bronze synchros. I'd just buy the BMW oil. FWIW, I never touched the diffs on my E83, and it ran fine past 198k miles. The guy I sold it to has had no issues the three years he's owned it.

Originally Posted by Audios
I would stick with whats recommended, is it the active diff with the clutch plates?

I have no idea lol

Last edited:
Back