blue windshield washer fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Hi,

Im curious if blue windshield washer getting onto your finish / wax does anything.

Doesnt matter the mechanism: evaporating off, mixing with rain or snow and draining off, freezing on the surface.

I assume the alcohol content could dissolve wax, but Id assume so.

Is this something to worry about? I minimize my use of blue fluid for this reason.

Thanks,

JMH

I don't believe that alcohol will strip wax. It takes a detergent like in dishsoap to strip wax. At least windshield washer fluid doesn't strip the polymer sealant (Klasse) I'm using instead of wax.

They add some blue dye to make it easy to see the fluid level in the container. Why blue or green? Because it reminds us of water, and because it looks more attractive than clear fluid. I wonder if some little kids might think it's Gatorade?
wink.gif

LOL, I havent added any to my 98 S-10 since new either... I think its still factory full!

Its just annoying when they use so much road salt, and it freezes up/evaporates onto the windshield when driving. Cant see a thing and windshield wipers are near useless.

JMH

alcohol will remove wax, as in carnuba based wax. Sealants (not waxes) are a different story and I guess it would depend on the type/quality of sealant or wax you are using.
I had the impression the no-freeze windshield washer fluids, regardless of color, used alcohol in it to keep from freezing. I think that's what you need to find out. I've seen small bottles of additive for windhsield washer fluid which when added keeps it from freezing, and the stuff has a very strong alcohol smell.

I minimize the use of washer fluid for the same reason, not so much from worry of stripping wax, I'm just anal about keeping the car clean. I never added any to my '99 SS when I had it nor have I to my '02.

Good question and points well made in this thread. I agree with JHZR2 that the salt can get so heavy on the windsheild, especially when trucks blow by you and shoot all the road salt onto the car, then you need the washer fluid definetly. I think sometimes the city workers have too much fun with the salt trucks
tongue.gif
A sealant is almost a must have before winter sets in. Especially with the nasty stuff out there like salt and washer fluid. Definitely will eat wax alive.

Just a side note, that Prestone De-Icer stuff is works pretty well but it always leaves this thin film of greasy oily stuff on my windsheild. While I can see better, I guess the residue inside the De-Icer helps to keep it from freezing. Just my $.02,,,,AR

quote:

Originally posted by cousincletus:
The blue stuff in my pickup truck looked like a slushy popsicle this morning. -30 degrees my a$$.
tongue.gif

I thought the yellow stuff was good down to -30°F, not the blue stuff...

Make sure it is a winter formula/mix.

My orange Rain-X is good even at -10*F. A warm windshield helps a lot though.

Most of the Washer fluids are a mix of methanol, water, and even a little detergent. The amount of methanol in the formulation dictates whether it is marketed as a winter mix, or all purpose.

quote:

Originally posted by Airborne Ranger:

......Just a side note, that Prestone De-Icer stuff is works pretty well but it always leaves this thin film of greasy oily stuff on my windsheild. While I can see better, I guess the residue inside the De-Icer helps to keep it from freezing. Just my $.02,,,,AR

Propylene Glycol is the stuff that prevents it from freezing, as well as causing the slight oily/smearyness. The methanol melts the ice, and the PG keeps the water from re-freezing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back